Miami Recruiting's Big Threes: Which class's top recruits turned out the best?

I kind of disagree. Sure, you meed to be coached. But when you see what the results were on their highly rated classes, what it really shows is that their evaluatikns sucked. Coker’s ‘04 class, e.g., was a train wreck. His results were worse for the highly rated ‘04 class than his other classes. His coaching was equally awful for all the kids. The lesson for me is evaluations matter a lot. Secondary lesson is roster decay when you stack crap classes or position groups a few years in a row.
Its like a good chili, imo. You need the right mix of flavors. Can't harp on one thing more than the others. Evaluation, development, coaching...

Advertisement
If you ignore hype ratings and just try to understand evals and outcomes, here’s how I’d score recruiting classes.

Basic stats:
# of starts from the group / 12 = starter seasons
# of all conference selections
# of AA selections
TDs, passing yards, rushing yards, receptions, reception yards
Tackles, sacks, interceptions

Deduct points for classes over 25 kids
Deduct points for poor OL/DL classes
Deduct points for clear misses on need positions
Deduct points for stacking bad position groups on top of prior year bad groups (2 year need analysis)
Deduct points for kids who don’t contribute at all (not on 2 deep)
Extra deductions for kids who don’t get in or who depart early (roster landmines)
Extra points for kids who become 4-5 year players
Extra points for above average QB
Escalating point bonuses for higher numbers of all conference kids
Extra bonus for 2 or more AAs

Its like a good chili, imo. You need the right mix of flavors. Can't harp on one thing more than the others. Evaluation, development, coaching...
You need it all to win, no doubt. But in reacting to the class summaries, imo the key lesson is evals.

Advertisement
Helluva walk down memory lane OP. Even without the rankings, the backstory of those guys was an interesting read.

Is there enough info on the 20 years previous to 2000 to do a similar breakdown? I think it would be really interesting to see how those classes shaped our rise as a CFB powerhouse.

It was a direct quote from him after a loss, iirc to UNC.

After we were upset by a terrible UNC team in 2004, the fanbase went ape****. Someone on the Miami beat asked him what the **** happened and his reply was, "hey they got guys on scholarship too." It echoed Coker's response to the fans when he said the fanbase's "expectations are out of kilter."

Ugh - I was at that UNC game too. My buddy and I were just over a year out from graduating and drove down from DC for it. We were so devastated after the lose (this is back when losing a game to a even good opponent - which they were not - was gut wrenching) that even though we had driven down that day and had a hotel, we couldn't bare to stay in that state any longer and drove back to DC. Mind you that was a 7PM game and the time to drive to DC from Chapel hill is 4-5 hours.

Actually remember after leaving the stadium all of their fans were nice and not taunting us and said to my friend 'they don't even know what to do when they pull off a huge win - they should be taunting us right now'.

I probably don't remember the quote as I would stay away from anything football related for several days after a loss back then. <Sigh> How things have changed.

For 98, you could definitely be right. Sands listed a handful of guys that could have been near the top, then I tried to find the old superprep ratings if I could.
Great stuff. So, Butch's classes, anyway you look at it, were the best. We all knew who recruited and turned out the most NFL top talent. Thanks for all the hard work.

Every time I see Chicks name mentioned I remember how much **** he put up with at Miami. Who is the more underappreciated defensive player, Trent Harris or Chick?

Advertisement
there's a part of me that still holds that comment against Winston, he was the epitome of being 'Cokerized'
By ‘a part’, assume you mean all of you other than your left pinky toe. That attitude was definitely epitome of the excuse and low expectation culture Coker installed.

Advertisement
By ‘a part’, assume you mean all of you other than your left pinky toe. That attitude was definitely epitome of the excuse and low expectation culture Coker installed.

The signs were even there in 2002, when they were losing going into the 4th quarter vs a Rutgers team that went winless, I remember thinking, 'this guy really is awful.' But the overall talent kept him afloat till about 2004.

Just think about this, how many other coaches have a national title on their resume, another national title game appearance -- and couldn't get a Power 5 job for a few years till UTSA started up their program. To me, that's telling

Helluva walk down memory lane OP. Even without the rankings, the backstory of those guys was an interesting read.

Is there enough info on the 20 years previous to 2000 to do a similar breakdown? I think it would be really interesting to see how those classes shaped our rise as a CFB powerhouse.
Sorry I missed this. If I could find a link to A collection of old super prep rankings then I’d be in business. The hardest part is that most guys seemed to be ranked regionally or by state with little national crossover.

Sorry I missed this. If I could find a link to A collection of old super prep rankings then I’d be in business. The hardest part is that most guys seemed to be ranked regionally or by state with little national crossover.
No problem. Appreciate the response. I would imagine in the 80’s and 90’s, there wasn’t nearly the info available there is today.

Advertisement
The signs were even there in 2002, when they were losing going into the 4th quarter vs a Rutgers team that went winless, I remember thinking, 'this guy really is awful.' But the overall talent kept him afloat till about 2004.

Just think about this, how many other coaches have a national title on their resume, another national title game appearance -- and couldn't get a Power 5 job for a few years till UTSA started up their program. To me, that's telling
He’s the coaching equivalent of a 13 year old kid who steals his dad’s Ferrari and enters a drag race thinking he knows how to drive for real. Just a delusional mope. He had no clue.

He’s the coaching equivalent of a 13 year old kid who steals his dad’s Ferrari and enters a drag race thinking he knows how to drive for real. Just a delusional mope. He had no clue.

ended up being an Asian driver... and that never ends up well, trust me( I know)

Advertisement
Back