Miami Re-emerges in 2022 4-Star Lathan’s Top School List

View as article

Zach Shashoua

Premium
2022 Gulliver Prep (FL) 4-star S Travious Lathan has become one of the more highly-touted prospects in South Florida, and the 6”2, 210 pound DB picked up an offer from UM back in December of 2019.

“It feels great, getting the opportunity to stay home and play is special,” Lathan said. “I feel very confident in Miami and what they’re doing in their program. They have a shot at landing me.”

With some schools recruiting him as a linebacker or a receiver, Lathan’s future college position is up in the air, but the Canes continue to view him as a safety at the next level. As such, Lathan has begun to develop a relationship with newly hired DB coach Travaris Robinson.

“Miami is still recruiting me at safety,” Lathan said. “I’ve started talking with coach Robinson and we’ve developed a relationship, but it is still early.”

In his last interview with CIS, Lathan left Miami out of his top schools with the departure of safeties coach Ephraim Banda, who accepted the Defensive Coordinator job at Utah State. However, now the Gulliver Prep star again views UM as a contender for his signature.

“Miami has gotten back into my list of top schools,” Lathan said. “Now that they have their staff more settled, they have a good chance.”

Lathan has picked up 19 offers in his recruitment thus far and came out with his Top 8 schools in January. This list included Miami, Oregon, Arizona State, Tennessee, Georgia, Penn State, Florida, and Pitt.

“I look for a school that has a great atmosphere and somewhere that I fit in well,” Lathan said. ”Wherever I go, I will bring a lot of enthusiasm and will be a great teammate. Wherever the coaches need me to play, I will make a big impact.”

In 2019, Lathan helped Gulliver Prep to a 10-1 record and a Florida 4A regional semifinal appearance as a sophomore. As a junior in 2020, Lathan played both safety and wide receiver. He recorded 20 tackles and 2 PBUs on defense and 14 catches for 239 yards and 2 TD’s on offense in 6 games.

“On defense, my best quality is my ability to read the offense because I also play receiver. I also have big and strong hands that I use to my advantage.”

Advertisement
I didnt see him as a backer. More of a safety recruit..he has good balls kills.

Its going to be alot of challengers for those safety spots. Gonna be a first come first serve sort of deal
Half of his film is playing on offense. Not sure what position he is to be honest. He looks pretty good but didn't stand out on either side of the ball. Definitely a kid to monitor though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back