Miami offers two WV olinemen.

canesthing3

Sophomore
Miami just offered two Huntington (WV) area OL. Riley Locklear from Spring Valley(6'5 280) and Billy Ross from Huntington High(6'5 290). Naturally, Marshall was their first offer but since then they have both received offers from us, FSU, Louisville and a few other P5s in just the last week. These kids recruitments are going to blow up. Locklear's brother Alex(OT) plays for Marshall. I've seen both play since I live ten minutes away in southern Ohio and they are the goods. It's odd to see this level of talent around here. Obviously, they dominate. I'd link their hudls but usually I don't start threads so not sure how to do that, if someone could help me, thanks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seriously, if I lived in WV and had a chance to play/live in Miami, I'd pack the ol chevy pickup and head south! If you have any ambition to go to college and experience the world, you can't do it in Trailorhassee. I mean it's WV too, only a little farther south.

Advertisement
Locklear seems to use his legs better, always churning, Ross seems to play with his hands better, I was going to say Locklear seems nasty, but Ross seems even nastier. Ross looks like his frame could support more weight better. I couldn't say how they compared to other elite OL prospects.

Advertisement
Ross is nasty, he's tough on the DL as well. Obviously, his future is as an OL though. I think Locklear has a little more upside. Agree that both are takes.

Seriously, if I lived in WV and had a chance to play/live in Miami, I'd pack the ol chevy pickup and head south! If you have any ambition to go to college and experience the world, you can't do it in Trailorhassee. I mean it's WV too, only a little farther south.
They could hook up there camper and all

I think there are much better options available at Oline than Riley Locklear at this point, but lets see if Coach Searles can close any rather than going after some yeehaw junctions kids that he can identify with.

[video=youtube;JWLM_tHmAGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLM_tHmAGQ[/video]

That's awesome the staff went to West VA to get big uglies. That attitude with the south FL skill would be unstoppable once bonded.

Advertisement
Florida State, Miami, West Virginia, Louisville offered OL Billy Ross on Wednesday - Football Recruiting - Scout

Free Article
Florida State, Miami, West Virginia, Louisville offered OL Billy Ross on Wednesday
By Brian Dohn 2/17/2016

Huntington (W.V.) High offensive lineman Billy Ross had a memorable Wednesday at three ACC and one Big 12 school offered, and another ACC offer is close.

Offensive tackle Billy Ross was shocked when he learned Florida State extended an offer Wednesday, but it was only the beginning of a surreal day.

By the time the day ended, the Huntingon (W.V.) High standout added offers from Miami, West Virginia and Louisville, and also learned an NC State offer could come Thursday.

"It was an amazing day," the 6-foot-5, 295-pound Ross said. "I was surprised when Florida State offered me. My coach called me in and he said, 'You're not going to believe what I am going to say, but Florida State just offered you.' I was like, 'Wow.' Then I was sitting in my class and West Virginia and Louisville offered me. By the time I got finished with my workout, Miami had called and they offered me, too.

"It was definitely a good day."

When the day began, Ross held offers from Marshall and Toledo, but now he is has major Power 5 options.

"It is very special," Ross said. "I'm honored I can bring that kind of attention and get offers from down there. They already have all kinds of talent down there, and for them to come up here and offer two West Virginia kids, me and (Huntington Spring Valley OL) Riley (Locklear), it is just amazing. Same with Miami. They have all kinds of kids down there.

"Louisville, they've been recruiting me for about a year now. To finally get an offer from them is great. West Virginia, that's my home state, so it's just a great offer for me, too."

Ross will be at Louisville on Saturday, and NC State on Feb. 27. He does not have any other visits set up yet, but the new offers are expected to add to his travel plans.

However, Louisville has an in with graduate assistant J.B. Lageman, who played at Huntington High.

"We've been in contact for a year now and I have a real good relationship with him," Ross said. "I talked to coach (Chris Klenakis), the offensive line coach, when I went to their camp, and he's a cool guy. And I have a pretty good relationship down there.

"They like how I'm flexible and how I move real well, and how I have good feet. That's what they told me."

Although Ross grew up as an Ohio State fan and watching hometown Marshall, he understand the significance of the West Virginia offer.

"It's great because it's rare," Ross said. "I think this year they offered me and Riley, and Derrek Pitts and Maverick Wolfley (WVU commit) ...and Dorian Etheridge."

After the Louisville visit, Ross said he will return to NC State to get a better look at the program, and spend more time with the coaching staff.

"I went there in the fall when they played Clemson," he said. "I didn't get to talk to them much because they really had some big-time players there. I didn't get a chance to talk to the coaches much, so I want to go down there and communicate more with them, and look around the facilities and see what they're about. They told me to call them (Thursday) and they will have good news, so I could get offered by them."

Meanwhile, the offer from Florida State vaults Ross' recruitment to a national level.

"When my coach told me, I said, 'Are you serious?' I was that surprised," Ross said. "They just had the (No. 2) recruiting class ... and for (offensive line) coach (Rick) Trickett to pull the trigger on me and Riley like that, it's an honor because they have those type of guys already down there. It's such an honor. They're a great program."

That's awesome the staff went to West VA to get big uglies. That attitude with the south FL skill would be unstoppable once bonded.

Not so unusual given our history. Two of the better OLs in program history came from WVa: Dennis Harrah (a future all-pro, as I recall) and John Canei.

Advertisement
Back