2023 Miami offers 2023 WR Jalen Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
There's also a difference between a "take" and a "must have" or "really want". And for some recruits, they feel that difference and it turns them off. Could be as easy as Mario or Gattis saying "We have an offer for you and we want you to come. Take your time though and as long as you're considering your options/enjoying the process, we'll keep evaluating. But if you want to go ahead and commit, we'll accept it."

So maybe we didn't "cool" on Jalen and maybe he didn't spurn us..it can be a "both/and" not "either/or".

We didn't show as much love even though he had a committable offer and he's going somewhere else because of it.

You telling me after watching that you think Andy is better ? Jalen put pressure on a defense anytime he's on the field.

I will concede one thing; Brown is the better athlete. Better WR? No.

In Jean's film, I see him creating separation with his routes. He beats the press and makes contested catches. In some of his HL, we see a safety shaded over him and he still makes the catch.

In Brown's film, we see a fast kid being fast. In most of his clips, he gets a free release and is able to get deep easily. It looked like most cb's just tried to run with him, which would be a mistake at the college level, let alone HS.

The thing that did worry me about Jean was his speed. Supposedly, he runs a 10.8, which is plenty fast. Brown is still faster, but all that speed is useless if he can only run one route and have suspect hands.

To me, Jean is way more college ready. Brown is faster though. But, with Ray Ray and Robby already on board, Jean's game adds something we don't have in our current WR commits. And, in Gattis' offense, I'll take that tactician that knows how to get open over the kid that can get deep.

In Jean's film, I see him creating separation with his routes. He beats the press and makes contested catches. In some of his HL, we see a safety shaded over him and he still makes the catch.

In Brown's film, we see a fast kid being fast. In most of his clips, he gets a free release and is able to get deep easily. It looked like most cb's just tried to run with him, which would be a mistake at the college level, let alone HS.

The thing that did worry me about Jean was his speed. Supposedly, he runs a 10.8, which is plenty fast. Brown is still faster, but all that speed is useless if he can only run one route and have suspect hands.

To me, Jean is way more college ready. Brown is faster though. But, with Ray Ray and Robby already on board, Jean's game adds something we don't have in our current WR commits. And, in Gattis' offense, I'll take that tactician that knows how to get open over the kid that can get deep.

Pretty much agree.

And while I want our WR corps to be as fast as possible, that doesn't mean that every "this-guy-or-that-guy" recruiting choice should be based on speed alone.

Love Jean, want him at UM very bad, but he is nowhere close to a 10.8, lol. His football speed is much better than his track times as he gets plenty of separation and runs past Dade county DBs on the regular, but his 100 time is 11.6. He isn’t a track blazer by any means, and that’s okay.

Advertisement
View attachment 196407
Leaving South Florida for this? It must be that world-class LSU education he's seeking....
Dont forget his dance moves:

Dc Comics Dance GIF

I’ll be honest , in all the years i‘ve done this I’ve never seen a recruitment like Browns. Nothing lines up , from his teammates, his coaches , Miami and Miami players.
When things dont sound right... Makes you wonder. This is the SEC after all. Maybe a pre-NIL deal for Momma... :confused:

I think the difference is that UM hired Highsmith, a guy with many years of NFL player eval experience, to specifically help with recruiting evals. It sounds like his eval of Brown wasn't particularly favorable. I'm actually a little surprised that more of the board isn't glad that Highsmith may have stopped another Mark Pope situation. Do fans think their evals are better than Highsmith's? Maybe in a couple years if Brown blows up at LSU, we can say we shouldn't trust Highsmiths WR evals. For now though I'll defer to his judgment.
I believe it. His film just doesn't jump off the screen? I just didn't see a 5-star and prefer Andy Jean all day. That's just my opinion, i have a degree in bird law, not recruiting.

Advertisement
I train a bunch of DBs. They all said brown can run but not run routes. Going into the Gibbons vs Gulliver game, they didn't fear brown at all. They said the TE was the baller. They shut down brown and the TE balled.
Having said that if he learns to run routes he will be a monster. He got unreal speed.

I train a bunch of DBs. They all said brown can run but not run routes. Going into the Gibbons vs Gulliver game, they didn't fear brown at all. They said the TE was the baller. They shut down brown and the TE balled.
Having said that if he learns to run routes he will be a monster. He got unreal speed.
Potential sour grapes notwithstanding, how many UM WRs have we said this about in the last decade or so?

For those who know better. It’s obvious this kid is fast and can take the top off the defense. My concern is that in 4 minutes of highlights I didn’t see one truly contested catch or legit broken tackle. Can this kid actually beat press coverage? I like my players to have relentless toughness and I am not sure this kid has that in him after watching these highlights.

Advertisement
Let me try to add to this Thread being a down low Brian Kelly suck fest.
I even heard someone post he’s right below Saban as a coach.
Mandy made him his ***** and a 30 year old offense abused him.
This place is amazing.
The only reason he made the playoffs was because he’s at notre dame. He got embarrassed both times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Losing Brown makes the Chris Johnson recruitment all the more important IMHO. I know they have two different positions. But Johnson can freeze safeties and blow the top off of coverage regardless of where he's lining up. Which is the one thing we're still missing IMHO.

Mario is landing very fast plus athletes. But no one yet who can race down the field and blow past a AA or All ACC defensive back on speed alone. Johnson fixes that.

Losing Brown makes the Chris Johnson recruitment all the more important IMHO. I know they have two different positions. But Johnson can freeze safeties and blow the top off of coverage regardless of where he's lining up. Which is the one thing we're still missing IMHO.

Mario is landing very fast plus athletes. But no one yet who can race down the field and blow past a AA or All ACC defensive back on speed alone. Johnson fixes that.
We’re gonna land both Brown and Johnson. Watch and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back