Miami Offense OL Combinations

View as article
Amazing!!

Idk what the reason is! I feel like oline should have the best 5 and run with them so they can gel

I can understand subbing in a guy or two when you want more power to ice with the run game... but all game long with 7 combinations is eye opening
I’ve never seen anything like that myself....I always was under the assumption that the o-line is the one group that U don’t sub frequently bcuz building chemistry is vital for the groups success...Ultimately u play the 5 best lineman and sort out the positions accordingly.

Advertisement
It would be nice however to redshirt Reed and Campbell. If that happens I wouldn’t mind at all. But both of them will play next year for sure.

Both have more games they can play before they can’t redshirt this year.

Boulware was very disappointing. He had the worse game imaginable. Mental errors, getting whipped it was all around disappointing because he couldn't have played any better against UNC.

This O-line is like some sort of ancient puzzle. If you move 1 guy then you risk the house crashing down and you don't have much pieces to work with. The only thing we have solve is Gauthier at center. That's about it really.

Donaldson is a guard IMO. Scaife is go enough to play tackle right now. I wish we weren't so committed to keeping St.Louis at tackle because he isn't that much better then Donaldson IMO. I was hoping that Boulware was a missing piece but man he really did play himself into a backup role vs FSU not gonna lie. Mahomey isn't good let's be honest... he's just a place holder till someone hopefully emerges and please let it be a youngster. I don't want to see some Al Golden recruit "emerge" again.

When will he start throwing in some younger guys? See, this is why I wished on that last offensive drive against UNC when it was 40-10 that we played more younger guys so they could put something on film to get more playing time.

Advertisement
yea Lance is a gentleman and a scholar with this one...

I can see subbing guards... but running SEVEN different O-line combos during the game... well to me thats why we couldnt get any offensive production! No continuity or familiarity!

This is a bad look from the coaches... I get donaldson sucked it up at Tackle but I woulda moved 1-2 chess pieces during the game, maybe boulware at guard or swapping tackles. Don't reinvent the wheel 7 times in a game.

I played O-line and you really do use the man next to you in order to do your job properly. You start to realise the strengths of the guys next to you and what they don't do well, and at times you put more effort in helping them with their deficiencies, and visa versa.

I don't see how making all these changes you allow the glue to gel.

It was insinuated and backed up by someone who supposedly knows his family that they're planning on redshirting him, barring an emergency.

Would allow him to gain some more strength and hopefully step in at center for the next 3 years.

Advertisement
yea Lance is a gentleman and a scholar with this one...

I can see subbing guards... but running SEVEN different O-line combos during the game... well to me thats why we couldnt get any offensive production! No continuity or familiarity!

This is a bad look from the coaches... I get donaldson sucked it up at Tackle but I woulda moved 1-2 chess pieces during the game, maybe boulware at guard or swapping tackles. Don't reinvent the wheel 7 times in a game.

I played O-line and you really do use the man next to you in order to do your job properly. You start to realise the strengths of the guys next to you and what they don't do well, and at times you put more effort in helping them with their deficiencies, and visa versa.

I don't see how making all these changes you allow the glue to gel.

Agreed 100%. It’s not a good look on the coaches at all.

I could see shuffling the lineup against SSU, Toledo and maybe FIU. But come on, you’re still trying to figure out your best combo in Week 6??

That’s why we couldn’t get **** going offensively in the first half against FSU.

We’ve solved our QB woes, but ST and OL are still embarrassing. Unacceptable to be honest.

Absolutely ridiculous to play 7 OL combinations in Week 6. Totally inexcusable. Pick your best 5 and go. I've been studying the game for 30 years and never in my life have I seen a team play a different OL combo on every drive of a first half of a game. Especially in a rivalry game at mid-season.

Advertisement
please send this to Richt, Searals and Thomas Brown
You don't think that maybe they ran all these O-line combos is so they can get an idea of who is capable of elevating our level of play moving forward?

Here's the deal. We have talent, but most of our high talent guys are underclassmen. What we don't have is talented experience with proper conditioning required to play P5 football...yet. Scaife proving that he can play tackle for us against a highly talented D-line like FSU is huge for us because it allows Donaldson to move back inside and bump one of the less talented, but more experienced and better conditioned guards back to the bench.

My take on this is that we've had two spots on this line that have been consistent liabilities; Jones and Mahoney. I don't consider ND a liability simply because he's been asked to play out of position. Sliding him back inside cures one of those liabilities. We have some other young guys who just need a little more strength and seasoning and we'll be able to cure the other liability. Maybe Bolware can can be serviceable, but IMO we need Reed to step up and take over that other guard spot and we'll go from barely average to pretty good.

I believe for now, the combo of (L-R) St. Louis, Mahoney/Boulware, Gauthier, Donaldson, Scaife is the best lineup we can throw out there. Not dominant but should be solid enough for the remainder of the season. If anything, having Donaldson inside will help the running game and having Scaife's quickness outside will help pass pro.

Advertisement
Why was Mahoney at LG?

Pro football Focus grades vs FSU. Mahoney (66.5, 48 snaps) graded out slightly above average (64) and both left guards Jahair Jones (52.9, 35) and Venzell Boulware (48.0, 46) scoring below average.

Last edited:
The bottom line: Cane fan can THANK Diaz's defensive unit for COVERING UP a suspect offensive line and a terrible special teams unit! Still, the million dollar lotto question is this... can the defense continue to carry those two units? Because eventually there's going to be a game where the defense has an "average " game and what not.

It was insinuated and backed up by someone who supposedly knows his family that they're planning on redshirting him, barring an emergency.
To add onto this, the staff had no choice but to play Gaynor last year more than they wanted to.

They're grooming him to be the next Center to take over after Gauthier for 2019, so they decided to shirt him this year & redefine him physically. That's why our current backup C is actually Milo believe it or not lol.

But I actually think it's smart move by the staff.

I

Did it for a few plays and a made a mistake on play one. He’s supposed to take LB while Boulware blocks down but he blocks down and the LB runs in and makes the tackle. If Scaife makes the block it’s a big run.

View attachment 66080

Got it. The fact that he got time at LT so early in the game is encouraging, even if he didn't make the block here.

IFF they were going to try him at LT, I would expect them to do it after the bye week (not this week).

Thinking along those lines, how would you rank the DLs of our remaining opponents?

Advertisement
Back