Miami Offense OL Combinations

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
While watching the game this week I noticed that we moved our OL personnel quite a bit so I wanted to see how the team did with each combination out there. Given the sample size of each was so small you can't take anything definitive, but you can start to identify where issues may lie with a group as a whole.

We played seven OL combinations this week. They are as follows:

St. Louis (78)/Boulware (50)/Gauthier (74)/Mahoney (62)/Donaldson (55)

This OL grouping ran 28 plays. We ran 4 Inside Zone (IZ) runs, 2 Outside Zone (OZ) runs, 3 Power runs, 2 Off-Tackle (OT) runs, 15 passes, 2 sacks. Here are the results:
IZ 7 yards, OZ 4 yards, Power 29 yards, OT 1 yard, 15 passes 113 yards, 1 TD pass. 2 sacks, 3 runs TFL. Total = 154 yd on 28 plays for 5.50 Yards Per Play

St. Louis/ Jahair (77)/Gauthier/Donaldson/ Scaife (51)

This OL grouping ran 13 plays. We ran 3 IZ, 2 OZ, 2 Power, 5 Passes 47 yards, 1 TD pass, 1 sack, 1 run TFL. Total = 90 yd on 13 plays for 6.92 YPP

St. Louis/Boulware/Gauthier/Mahoney/Scaife

This OL grouping ran 3 plays. We went 3-and-out. IZ for 3 yards, 0-1 for 0 yards, QB scramble for 5 yards. Total = 8 yards on 3 plays for 2.67 YPP

Scaife/Boulware/74/Mahoney/Donaldson

This OL grouping ran 3 plays. We went 3-and-out. IZ for 2 yards, 1-2 for 6 yards. Total = 8 yards on 3 plays for 2.67 YPP

78/50/74/Donaldson/Scaife

This OL grouping ran 6 plays. 3 IZ for 10 yards, 1 OZ for -3, 1-1 Passing for 14 yards, one QB scramble for 11 yards. Total = 33 yards on 6 plays for 5.50 YPP

78/Jahair/74/Mahoney/Donaldson

This OL grouping ran 8 plays. 2 IZ for -2 yards, 2-4 Passing for 19 yards, 1 sack, 1 QB scramble. We threw 2 TD Passes out of this grouping.
Total = 19 yards on 8 plays for 2.38 YPP.

78/Jahair/74/Boulware/Donaldson

This OL grouping ran 3 plays. It was the only series with Boulware at RG. We got a 1st down on the Homer hit stick run. Then Boulware got whipped on the power run and they pulled him. Then an incomplete pass. Total = 12 yards on 3 plays for 4.00 YPP.

Obviously the most successful combination was St. Louis/Jahair/Gauthier/Donaldson/Scaife. However, Jahair was whipped several times and was an obvious weak link. Mahoney had a rough game as well, but we have not seen him at LG for a single snap this year, which has been a problem spot. Boulware had a bad game in this one.

Today, you read that the 1st team OL was St. Louis/Mahoney/Gauthier/Donaldson/Scaife. For me, four of the spots on the OL are spoken for and it's just whether or not Mahoney or Boulware are going to take charge of that LG spot. I expect that Boulware eventually will win the job but it is now time for Jahair to lose his reps and be a reserve who only plays in the event of multiple injuries. Thomas Brown said it best today, "We tried out several combinations and several guys who showed us they were we thought they were and several guys showed us they weren't."

Things are trending in the right direction with the decision to start Scaife and drop Donaldson down to RG. This could solidify the right side of the OL not just for this year, but for next as well.

Advertisement
St Louis/Boulware/Gauither/Donaldson/Scaife is the best combo personally but seems like they are riding with Mahoney. Boulware and Jones are the first guys off the bench and when that happens Donaldson will move outside.

Amazing!!

Idk what the reason is! I feel like oline should have the best 5 and run with them so they can gel

I can understand subbing in a guy or two when you want more power to ice with the run game... but all game long with 7 combinations is eye opening

Advertisement
Amazing post

tenor-2.gif

Boulware is better pulling and in pass pro. If a big DT is over him, he can be pushed around. Would love to see Reed gets some reps toward the end of the year.
It would be nice however to redshirt Reed and Campbell. If that happens I wouldn’t mind at all. But both of them will play next year for sure.

Advertisement
Thanks. Our talent is jut not high
Thanks. Our talent is jut not high
True, trying to match up people with positions that re not really there to fill all the positions adequately.
And this year we have only 2 committed and possibly Evan Neal a HUGE piece of the puzzle.
Unless some miraculous change in people stepping up now on the roster now looks like a weak spot next year again.

OL was never Richt strong group at UGA, neither was S &C program. we are weak upfront and seem to have a lack of
prospects lined up. if Neal is wanted by bama this will make it tough as well. need to dip intoJUCO ranks for some ready to go talent...........

Advertisement
I didn't notice Scaife at LT, if he could play that it would have a tremendous effect on the OL. Just imagine:

Scaife/Boulware(or Mahoney)/Gauthier/Donaldson/St. Louis

But that is probably too much to ask for of a true freshman tackle in the middle of the season. So we are more likely to see the flipped tackles, which should have better results than our previous lineups!

St. Louis/Boulware(or Mahoney)/Gauthier/Donaldson/Scaife

Advertisement
What’s the scoop with or information on Zach Dykstra? Shortly after he first committed some were raving about his video clip doing a one handed handstand on a kettle ball and providing all of these static, dynamic, and kinematic “opinions” on how that would translate into him being a great o lineman.

and we used to complain about 'the Kehoe Shuffle'

Im just wondering do other top 25 teams rotate so much at this spot(which is so reliant on five parts working so closely together)?

I
I didn't notice Scaife at LT, if he could play that it would have a tremendous effect on the OL. Just imagine:

Scaife/Boulware(or Mahoney)/Gauthier/Donaldson/St. Louis

But that is probably too much to ask for of a true freshman tackle in the middle of the season. So we are more likely to see the flipped tackles, which should have better results than our previous lineups!

St. Louis/Boulware(or Mahoney)/Gauthier/Donaldson/Scaife

Did it for a few plays and a made a mistake on play one. He’s supposed to take LB while Boulware blocks down but he blocks down and the LB runs in and makes the tackle. If Scaife makes the block it’s a big run.

263DF776-D7AA-4750-8B2D-2F3AD3FB7B54.png

Advertisement
Back