Miami No. 24 in ESPN Way Too Early Top 25

Advertisement
I don't want to be ranked in the ESPN Way Too Early Top 25 until we can prove we can stay ranked in ESPN Way Too Early Top 25.

It's hard to imagine not being ranked in the top 25 to start the year with a projected future top 3 overall draft pick at QB and Mark Richt as our HC.

Then again, it's not that difficult to imagine if you're a Miami fan and witnessed what we have the last decade.

Last edited:
Funniest part of this dopey *** **** is that ESEC is moving teams around in an offseason poll.

Advertisement
In my opinion, polls that come out after week 1 has been played are way too early. Alabama could, in theory, lose all 12 games they play this year. When no one has played a down, what do you have to judge them on?

In my opinion, polls that come out after week 1 has been played are way too early. Alabama could, in theory, lose all 12 games they play this year. When no one has played a down, what do you have to judge them on?

I like that your theory takes into consideration that the team will implode and all the team's previous practices, games, players, experiences, etc., just vanish. But I get it, they lost 10 players, its an entirely new team. It's a very solid theory.

We are Ranked for 2 reasons only...

*Mark Richt...based on his name alone

* Brad Kaaya.... top 3 QB in college Football (Deshaun Watson and Josh Rosen the others) and expected to put up numbers

Advertisement

So roster talent, prior coaching success, returning starters, etc... give one no basis for predicting how teams might finish? By your logic polls are useless halfway through the season because Alabama could start 6-0 and lose their last 6 games.

I never really got the hatred for early polls. SEC bias would get built into the polls no matter when they start.

Some of you guys take preseason and early season polls way too seriously. They exist in large part to create excitement and buzz. That's it. Learn to enjoy them for what they are.

Speaking personally, I know I'd be even more excited for our season if we were ranked in the preseason/early season. Sure, it doesn't mean a **** thing but it's fun.

You just never know what roster turnover and coaching changes will bring.

Look at the 2000 Alabama team. Ranked #3 preseason. The pride of Alabama. They finished the year 3-8. So yes, we have NO way of knowing with certainty what a team will look like THIS year until they do something THIS year. Past success may be a good indicator of what a team MAY do, but it's no guarantee of what they WILL do. For that reason, I don't think teams should be ranked until they show what they look like in the current year, not previous years. Once that trophy is hoisted, it's over. The winner celebrates the success of the past season. The next season is clean slate as far as I'm concerned. The NFL doesn't give two poops about the previous winner, why should college football?

So roster talent, prior coaching success, returning starters, etc... give one no basis for predicting how teams might finish? By your logic polls are useless halfway through the season because Alabama could start 6-0 and lose their last 6 games.

I never really got the hatred for early polls. SEC bias would get built into the polls no matter when they start.

Preseason polls are useless and I pay zero attention to them.

IMO ,there shouldn't be a poll until at minimum week6.

These polls are only used for talk shows and fans to have something to talk/ b itch about.

No other purpose.

Advertisement
Preseason magazine and internet polls are fun for boring, off season chatter but the actual counting polls shouldn't be released until at least week 4. The problem is, voters won't drop a ranked team unless they lose. So a team that starts the season in the AP top 25 has the inherent advantage of already being ranked. Even if an unranked team is playing better, they won't jump anyone in the polls that hasn't lost a game. The SEC uses this to their advantage. Every year there's at least two or three highly overrated SEC teams that begin the year in the preseason top 25. They pump up their records with a cupcake non conference schedule and when they finally get to league games, losses don't hurt as much because they're losing to other "ranked" SEC teams. Example: Tennessee last season.

Pretty good breakdown and fair assessment by ESPN. If that puts us at #24 I'll take it.

Still need to prove it on the field. Can't say we don't have the talent to be a Top 25 team

Preseason magazine and internet polls are fun for boring, off season chatter but the actual counting polls shouldn't be released until at least week 4. The problem is, voters won't drop a ranked team unless they lose. So a team that starts the season in the AP top 25 has the inherent advantage of already being ranked. Even if an unranked team is playing better, they won't jump anyone in the polls that hasn't lost a game. The SEC uses this to their advantage. Every year there's at least two or three highly overrated SEC teams that begin the year in the preseason top 25. They pump up their records with a cupcake non conference schedule and when they finally get to league games, losses don't hurt as much because they're losing to other "ranked" SEC teams. Example: Tennessee last season.
yup, UGA and TAMU are probably going to be in there like always and they're going to be overrated

Advertisement

Because it's guesswork.
Only 2 teams picked in the top 5 of the preseason poll, finished in the top 5 at the end of the year. They were 'Bama and OSU. Not exactly going out on a limb there.
Only 4 teams picked in the top 10 of the preseason poll, finished in the top 10 at the end of the year.
More than half of the teams picked in the lower half of the preseason poll (13-25), didn't even finished ranked.
Every year, like clockwork, about 40% of the teams ranked in the August poll are no where to be seen in January.

That guesswork used to be a problem because the polls were the bible. Once slotted in, your fate was set.
It's no longer an issue because the committee does what most of the pollsters failed to do over the years. Assess each team and their opponents results weekly and re-rank accordingly.

Miami shouldnt be in any ranked conversation until after the October gaunlet is run...

It's pre-season ranking, has nothing to do with actual season performance. I have a hunch that "after October gaunlet (?) is run" it won't be called ESPN Way Too Early Top 25 ranking. Or maybe it will. On this board, everything is possible.

We are Ranked for 2 reasons only...

*Mark Richt...based on his name alone

* Brad Kaaya.... top 3 QB in college Football (Deshaun Watson and Josh Rosen the others) and expected to put up numbers

Exactly, Kaaya & Richt puts the spotlight on Miami.

Advertisement
Back