Miami New Times Article, "Butch Davis is The Wrong Coach"

donnybrah

Redshirt Freshman
Butch Davis Is the Wrong Coach for the University of Miami | Miami New Times

I was browsing around on the Internet, and here's a story with decent circulation. I have a few issues.

1 - It mentions Cristobal, sort of saying that he's more qualified because he's currently recruiting in South Florida. While some amateur journalists may believe this is true, this is far from true. He was a majorly unsuccessful coach, and while many look at him as a front runner for the job, he's no more than a hail mary of sorts. He's generally believed to be doing a rather poor job coaching the OL in Alabama, which is just one thing that throws me. Apparently, recruits are going to de-commit from Alabama and flock to Miami because Cristobal recruited them.

2 - It compares Butch to a 1999 Biggie Album. Like, really? The guy built the best team ever. He recently turned around a **** poor North Carolina football program on the brinks of chaos. The guy's been around football since he left NC. He helped with Tampa a few years ago. The guy's active with football and I'm sure if he got hired soon, he'd have time to get back into the swing of things. The article acts as if he's been out of football since he left the U.

3 - The article cites Butch being 63 as a huge problem. Let's just be realistic here, what's the issue with Butch coming back and potentially bringing the program back into BCS Bowl success and grooming a future head coach to take over? I don't see why Miami HAS to have a guy that's gonna coach for 30 years. It's just not how coaching at Miami has ever worked. Schnellenberger lasted 5. Jimmy lasted 5. Dennis lasted 6. The last coach to do it over 10 years was Andy Gustafson back in the 50s-60s. As long as Butch is in good health and is charismatic and willing to coach, Butch should be the guy.

4 - "This coach went 28-23 overall and 15-17 in the ACC — and no, it's not Al Golden. These are records Davis put up while head coach at the University of North Carolina. His tenure at UNC should be the better gauge when it comes to the quality of coach he is today, not things he did in the late '90s."

Yeah, because recruiting at UNC is as good as recruiting at Miami. He took over a team that hadn't won over 6 games since 2001 and won 8 3 times. Good fact check, good explanation. NORTH CAROLINA CAN'T EVEN GET THE GOOD PLAYERS FROM NORTH CAROLINA. NC's top 2 receivers are from Ohio and West Virginia. It's up and coming future quarterback? Yeah, he's from Ohio. Kicker? From Virginia. These guys are 3/4 stars from out of state that were overlooked majorly by other programs, or not offered full scholarships. Let's take Switzer for example. Switzer's offers came from good schools, no doubt. Florida State, Penn State both had a shot. But he's one of those guys that the Bowling Green's of the world tried to offer. North Carolina has built a team majorly based off of non-playoff caliber guys who've clicked to play decent ball. Butch took those guys and made them winners.

5 - "Imagine a world where Hurricanes fans are flying "Fire Butch Davis" banners for the second time ever — how sad would that be? Davis is basically on his knees pleading for the Miami Hurricanes to give him a job he in no way deserves, and if it goes poorly, the result would be sadder than if the Canes swung and missed on a head coach who actually had a resumé that led the program to believe he was the man for the job."

The icing on the cake. He doesn't deserve the job, yet it seems like everyone and their mother is dying to have him around because of his qualifications and ability to do the Miami coaching job as good as anyone else at this point. He can recruit Miami for **** sure, he can coach a football team, and he can beat ranked teams. He beat 10 top 25 teams over his tenure at Miami. Why couldn't he do it again, with a seemingly weak ACC and a recruiting pool that any college coach would be drooling to have.

Advertisement

I was browsing around on the Internet, and here's a story with decent circulation. I have a few issues.

1 - It mentions Cristobal, sort of saying that he's more qualified because he's currently recruiting in South Florida. While some amateur journalists may believe this is true, this is far from true. He was a majorly unsuccessful coach, and while many look at him as a front runner for the job, he's no more than a hail mary of sorts. He's generally believed to be doing a rather poor job coaching the OL in Alabama, which is just one thing that throws me. Apparently, recruits are going to de-commit from Alabama and flock to Miami because Cristobal recruited them.

2 - It compares Butch to a 1999 Biggie Album. Like, really? The guy built the best team ever. He recently turned around a **** poor North Carolina football program on the brinks of chaos. The guy's been around football since he left NC. He helped with Tampa a few years ago. The guy's active with football and I'm sure if he got hired soon, he'd have time to get back into the swing of things. The article acts as if he's been out of football since he left the U.

3 - The article cites Butch being 63 as a huge problem. Let's just be realistic here, what's the issue with Butch coming back and potentially bringing the program back into BCS Bowl success and grooming a future head coach to take over? I don't see why Miami HAS to have a guy that's gonna coach for 30 years. It's just not how coaching at Miami has ever worked. Schnellenberger lasted 5. Jimmy lasted 5. Dennis lasted 6. The last coach to do it over 10 years was Andy Gustafson back in the 50s-60s. As long as Butch is in good health and is charismatic and willing to coach, Butch should be the guy.

4 - "This coach went 28-23 overall and 15-17 in the ACC — and no, it's not Al Golden. These are records Davis put up while head coach at the University of North Carolina. His tenure at UNC should be the better gauge when it comes to the quality of coach he is today, not things he did in the late '90s."

Yeah, because recruiting at UNC is as good as recruiting at Miami. He took over a team that hadn't won over 6 games since 2001 and won 8 3 times. Good fact check, good explanation. NORTH CAROLINA CAN'T EVEN GET THE GOOD PLAYERS FROM NORTH CAROLINA. NC's top 2 receivers are from Ohio and West Virginia. It's up and coming future quarterback? Yeah, he's from Ohio. Kicker? From Virginia. These guys are 3/4 stars from out of state that were overlooked majorly by other programs, or not offered full scholarships. Let's take Switzer for example. Switzer's offers came from good schools, no doubt. Florida State, Penn State both had a shot. But he's one of those guys that the Bowling Green's of the world tried to offer. North Carolina has built a team majorly based off of non-playoff caliber guys who've clicked to play decent ball. Butch took those guys and made them winners.

5 - "Imagine a world where Hurricanes fans are flying "Fire Butch Davis" banners for the second time ever — how sad would that be? Davis is basically on his knees pleading for the Miami Hurricanes to give him a job he in no way deserves, and if it goes poorly, the result would be sadder than if the Canes swung and missed on a head coach who actually had a resumé that led the program to believe he was the man for the job."

The icing on the cake. He doesn't deserve the job, yet it seems like everyone and their mother is dying to have him around because of his qualifications and ability to do the Miami coaching job as good as anyone else at this point. He can recruit Miami for **** sure, he can coach a football team, and he can beat ranked teams. He beat 10 top 25 teams over his tenure at Miami. Why couldn't he do it again, with a seemingly weak ACC and a recruiting pool that any college coach would be drooling to have.

It is written by a Nole, what else would you expect, between him and Paul Finebaum (**** with EARS) they will do anything to protect their interest FSU and Alabama.

It is written by a Nole, what else would you expect, between him and Paul Finebaum (**** with EARS) they will do anything to protect their interest FSU and Alabama.

I don't think I hate anyone more than Paul Finebaum. "Dumpster fire" LMAO okay

He's an FSU alum, and the article is obviously biased. What do you expect? Don't read into that crap, it's just more media hate and that's the way we like it. When did the Miami New Times become a sports paper? Pfffft....lol Stick to top 10 things to do in Miami list. GTFOH!

He's an FSU alum, and the article is obviously biased. What do you expect? Don't read into that crap, it's just more media hate and that's the way we like it. When did the Miami New Times become a sports paper? Pfffft....lol Stick to top 10 things to do in Miami list. GTFOH!

I saw it getting publicity and figured I'd enlighten the Cane Family.

Ryan Yousefi | Miami News, Food, Culture and Events | Miami New Times

He's a really great writer. Love hearing his opinions on how great Dan Campbell is and how the Miami Heat are the best team in the NBA!!!

Advertisement

I saw it getting publicity and figured I'd enlighten the Cane Family.

Ryan Yousefi | Miami News, Food, Culture and Events | Miami New Times

He's a really great writer. Love hearing his opinions on how great Dan Campbell is and how the Miami Heat are the best team in the NBA!!!

He's a Mario ***cboi who interviewed "Cane super fan" LAZ telling us why we should be excited for 2015. He's a ******* ******.

I'm not the biggest Butch guy but stating Mario is more qualified is straight up retarded.

Mario is the only candidate that has way more cons than pros

Advertisement
propaganda they trynna not let the fans speak, these r the bozos that wanted to retain golden. *** them

i say you bring in cristobal under butch and groom him into the next head coach when butch retires

Advertisement
i say you bring in cristobal under butch and groom him into the next head coach when butch retires
Why? What has he done to warrant this "coach in waiting" title that some fans want to bestow upon him? I'll say it again, if you take "former UM player" off of his resume absolutely no one would be clamoring for him to be part of the next staff, and certainly not HC.

Can certainly read into his article and see he's either shaking at the thought of Butch or he's BFF with Mario....Give Mario another 5 years on other staff's and he might become a legitimate hire as a head coach but not at the present...

Advertisement

Come on OP...article written by a Nole and gave kudos to Cristobal....how is this a decent article?? Nole fans, Bama fans, LSU fans, OSU fans, UF Fans all WISH we hire Cristobal and they all wish we don't hire Butch.

Advertisement
Back