Miami Mentions: Updated 2019 Rivals250

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The newest update of the Rivals250 for the class of 2019 was released just yesterday.

And there was plenty of movement in the most recent version of the rankings, as there were tons of movers and shakers after another round of camps and evaluations revealed new insight on the rising senior class.

How did Miami and Surge19 do? Well, they boosted their number of commits inside the Rivals250 from one to three since the last update in December. WR Jeremiah Payton's commitment on Tuesday and DE Cameron Williams rise to a 4-star prospect was the difference there.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Rivals250, reflecting yet another deep pool of talent in Florida this year.

Without further delay, here's a handy, dandy list of the Miami commits and targets in the newest Rivals250.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

WR Jeremiah Payton: 178 <-- 148 (-30)

WR Brieon Fuller: 235 <-- 121 (-114)

DE Cameron Williams: 245 <-- NR (N/A)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

OT Darnell Wright: 2 <-- 5 (+3)

RB Trey Sanders: 11 <-- 12 (+1)

CB Chris Steele: 17 <-- 17 (N/A)

RB Mark-Antony Richards: 23 <-- 22 (-1)

OG Evan Neal: 39 <-- 56 (+17)

WR John Dunmore: 41 <-- 58 (+17)

DE Khris Bogle: 43 <-- 153 (+110)

WR Frank Ladson: 46 <-- 154 (+108)

CB Joshua Sanguinetti: 49 <-- 42 (-7)

RB Noah Cain: 60 <-- 51 (-9)

RB Daniel Carter: 67 <-- 20 (-47)

OG Dontae Lucas: 72 <-- 129 (+57)

OT Deyavie Hammond: 80 <-- 78 (-2)

OG Will Putnam: 87 <-- 74 (-13)

DE Derick Hunter: 95 <-- 99 (+4)

RB Kenny McIntosh: 99 <-- 133 (+34)

DE Justin Eboigbe: 111 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Michael Johnson Jr.: 122 <-- 112 (-10)

QB Sam Howell: 134 <-- 162 (+28)

QB Taisun Phommachanh: 145 <-- NR (N/A)

DT Jaquaze Sorrells: 149 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Nay’Quan Wright: 154 <-- 131 (-23)

LB Anthony Solomon: 155 <-- 132 (-23)

CB Tyrique Stevenson: 162 <-- 213 (+51)

DE Braylen Ingraham: 174 <-- 148 (-26)

CB Kaiir Elam: 198 <-- 245 (+47)

DE Lloyd Summerall: 211 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Johnny Dixon: 221 <-- 199 (-22)

CB Jaden Davis: 229 <-- NR (N/A)

TE Keon Zipperer: 230 <-- 100 (-130)

Thoughts

**Chaminade-Madonna DE Cameron Williams was the biggest mover of all of the Canes commits, going from a 3-star outside the Rivals250 to a 4-star just sneaking in at #245, and he could've gone even higher in my opinion. He showed out at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami Camp with his tantalizing speed and followed that up with a solid performance at the Opening Miami Regional last weekend. On the bump, Rivals analyst Rob Cassidy said Williams "has the frame to add more weight and possesses a lightning fast first step off the edge."

**While Williams had a nice ascent, it was Surge19 member WR Brieon Fuller taking a tumble, going from near the top 100 to falling to the bottom of the rankings at #235. While he's explosive off the line, Cassidy says Fuller is "limited by his relative lack of length and the fact that has hands fail him at times" and that he will need to add weight before the next level. Fuller also didn't really help himself by not showing up to any of the big camps held in Miami the past 2 weekends.

**Of the targets, by far the two biggest risers were Cardinal Gibbons DE Khris Bogle and South Dade WR Frank Ladson, who landed at #43 and #46 overall, respectively. Bogle shot up 110 spots and nearly won MVP at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami Camp. Cassidy is impressed with his length and frame that can carry more muscle, while also considering him a Miami lean. While Bogle definitely has to put on more weight after measuring in at 200 pounds at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami Camp, it's hard to find an athlete with better hip-bend and tenacity trying to terrorize the opponent's backfield. With Ladson, the first thing that stands out is his size and physicality, along with how fluidly he moves with that frame. Ladson rose 108 spots and with more polish and consistency, he's a no doubt 5-star guy.

Advertisement
Is Fuller a lock to be in this class? Thought I read somewhere he was a candidate to be dropped/decommit.

Great write up thanks.

Fuller have any experience at DB? He seems to have the measurables and athleticism to play ball. If drops are the problem let's ask him to play D for his high school this season and see if he can play.

I really like the kids attitude, just trying to find a way to keep him in the fold if these "drop" rumours are true.

Advertisement
Want bogle

As do I. Ingraham too. I know we need a LOT of D-linemen. So I'm wondering how they plan to sign at each position. I've seen the guesses at the total number of linemen they'll sign. But specifically, I wonder how many DE & how many DT is the plan?

It's just crazy how so many recruits from FL get ranked high at the beginning and then all of a sudden Miami starts recruiting them and their rankings all of a sudden starts dropping!! I think that is so unfair to some of these recruits.. NOW all the kid's getting heavily recruited by Bama, OSU, UGA and others all of a sudden gets bumped up... SOME THINGS JUST NEVER CHANGES!!

Advertisement
Payton is an easy top 100 guy yet he's dropping...ok. I like him better than Ladson and Dunmore.

Bogle will continue to rise. He will be a 5* by the end of the all-star circuit. Neal is likely to get that as well.

I believe Pete said he did not expect him in this class.
If he decommits on his own accord then that is fine but he should not be dropped. I respect the young men who commit and stay committed throughout the process. Similar to Dee Wiggins he may not be the best at his position but he is talented, loyal, and wants to be a cane. Im not down with the "silent commit" or the guys who lead on a fan base only to sign somewhere else on NSD. Btw Ladson, Riq, Bogle, and Lucas all seem like those type of guys. Like I wrote on another post recruit guys that are talented and want to be canes. Can't keep missing out on guys like Samuels, Troutman, Divaad Wilson, Hicks, etc. They may not be 5 stars but they are talented and they wanted to be here.

If he decommits on his own accord then that is fine but he should not be dropped. I respect the young men who commit and stay committed throughout the process. Similar to Dee Wiggins he may not be the best at his position but he is talented, loyal, and wants to be a cane. Im not down with the "silent commit" or the guys who lead on a fan base only to sign somewhere else on NSD. Btw Ladson, Riq, Bogle, and Lucas all seem like those type of guys. Like I wrote on another post recruit guys that are talented and want to be canes. Can't keep missing out on guys like Samuels, Troutman, Divaad Wilson, Hicks, etc. They may not be 5 stars but they are talented and they wanted to be here.

I have to agree with that.. I know a lot of fans want Miami to go after the studs (especially the ones from SoFla and around the state of FL), BUT my thing is simple, IF the staff is making all this effort to recruit a kid and he's showing that he's not interested "WHY KEEP RECRUITING HIM", there are so much talent out there!! At this point, it's way too early to discredit a recruit's seriousness BUT later in the process and it's coming down to months left in the process and we are still basically begging a recruit to give us a shot, then I feel "no matter where he resides" it's time to move on and show somebody else some love and make them a priority!! It just seems like every year Miami is begging certain recruit's for interest and they are showing it back in return BUT the staff is still fighting for someone that is obviously not interested and on NSD they pick to go elsewhere and every one is saying it's NSD was a disappointment...

This is why I say recruit the best recruit's, and when a offer is made we should honor the commitment if it comes!! Let these recruit's know "we want you here and you a top targets" BUT we are offering other recruit's that we feel that are just as good, SO if you really want to be a Miami Hurricane "commit now" because we can't stop others from committing!! BUT I feel like when you give recruit's the lee way to commit when ever and hold spots for certain commits, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment, the name of the game is "if you really want to be a Cane" once the kid is offered he should commit and make it understood where he wants to be.. NOW the only way I say, give a recruit the lee way IF he says he knows where he wants to go but wants to make his commit on a special day or occasion because some kid's (like Blades jr) wants to make it for a special moment because it's personnel for them... BUT I definitely don't believe in holding spots for certain recruit's because they want to play the game and then at the end, they leave Miami hanging and their were other recruit's that wanted the spot BUT was told "no we holding that spot right now, we will have to wait for your commitment, because that recruit goes elsewhere and the player we are expecting decides to go elsewhere as well"...

Advertisement
Payton is an easy top 100 guy yet he's dropping...ok. I like him better than Ladson and Dunmore.

Bogle will continue to rise. He will be a 5* by the end of the all-star circuit. Neal is likely to get that as well.

Payton happen to just commit to Miami right before recruiting guru's made their ranking adjustments!! And we see what player's went up and we DEFINITELY SEEN what player's went down.. It's nothing new when it comes to Miami commits getting pasted over when it comes to these rankings, I just look at it like this "these recruiting sites must get paid by the elite programs to keep them and their recruit's at the top of the list".. Honestly last year, when I saw Campbell get bumped to a 5*, I just had a gut feeling he wasn't going to be a Cane (and it happened)!! When I look at some of the player's from SoFla alone that didn't sign with Miami but went else where, I know for sure their rankings would've been different IF they would've signed at Miami... After Jobe's performance his last week as a high school player, IF he would've still been a Miami commit, I guarantee his rankings would've went down!! BUT IF course, him being a Bama commit his ratings was basically up their with the best of them.. As well as the Clemson signee QB- Lawrence, IF he would've been a Miami commit, most sites would've been bashing him for his poor performance at the Opening and AAG, but he was a Clemson signee, so IF course they gave him a pass and kept him a 5* recruit..

As Miami fans, IF you are focused on ratings and stars their will never be a commit that comes thru, that will be really good enough for you because this recruiting guru's will continue to overlook recruit's with "Miami commit" next to their name!!! GET USED TO IT..

Dunmore has been destroying the camp circuits. Cant hate on the fact he is jumping up the ratings. And at this stage of rankings camp performance is all these guys have to go off of along with Jr film.

But I agree that Payton is a top 5 WR in the country and I expect him to make a major jump by end of summer.

Bogle reminds me of another Garvin.

Advertisement
A lot of our guys aren't on the initial rankings BUT you have to love the fact that guys that are very interested in us are all over the top 75. That's a great sign. **** guys who would honestly say they have us in there top 3. And we haven't even done Paradise Camp yet.

I agree with the poster that said we need to stop ignoring guys like Fuller and dropping them from the class. IMO there is nothing wrong with taking 1 or 2 "Nigel Bethel" types in the class each year. People hated that take but you have to take a local project if only to keep local morale and keep certain schools happy.

Fuller is a good athlete as someone said so worse comes to worse he might be able to help us at CB. But to just drop him wouldn't seem right. I hope they learned their lesson from the AS Jr debacle. That was the biggest mistake we made in last years class by far.

Advertisement
Back