Miami Mentions: 2021 Top247 Initial Release

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After previously releasing a top 100 last summer, the initial ranking of the 247Sports Top247 for the class of 2021 was released today.

How did Miami and the class of 2021 do? Miami had 6 commits in the intial Top247, up from 3 commits in the early Top 100 over the summer.

247Sports previously did not have any 5-stars in the 2020 class, but handed out three of the coveted 5-star designations today. Booker T. Washington DE Donell Harris, Miami's highest ranked commit, just missed out after placing at #4 overall, but did take over the top spot in the state of Florida after getting a 10 spot boost. American Heritage S James Williams was also near 5-star range, moving up 4 spots to #11 overall. Chaminade-Madonna RB Thad Franklin and Southwest DT Savion Collins earned their 4th-star and joined the rankings at #165 and #180 respectively.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Top247, reflecting another deep pool of talent locally.

Without further delay, here's a list of the Miami commits and targets in the initial 2021 Top247.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

DE Donell Harris: 4 <-- 14 (+10)

S James Williams: 11 <-- 15 (+4)

RB Thad Franklin: 165 <-- NR (N/A)

DT Savion Collins: 180 <-- NR (N/A)

OG Laurence Seymore: 185 <-- 62 (-123)

LB Chamon Metayer: 188 <-- 93 (-95)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

WR Agiye Hall: 14 <-- NR (N/A)

ATH Xavian Sorey: 17<-- NR (N/A)

QB JJ McCarthy: 19 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Preston Stone: 23 <-- 6 (-17)

QB Jake Garcia: 24 <-- 54 (+30)

DE Tunmise Adeleye: 47 <-- NR (N/A)

TE Cane Berrong: 59 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Donovan Edwards: 60 <-- 69 (+9)

OT Kingsley Suamataia
: 61 <-- 11 (-50)

ATH David Daniel: 64 <-- NR (N/A)

LB Terrence Lewis: 65 <-- NR (N/A)

LB Branden Jennings: 66 <-- 79 (+13)

OT Marcus Tate: 77 <-- 94 (+17)

WR Brian Thomas
: 78 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Jason Marshall: 80 <-- 41 (-39)

DE Jabari Ishmael: 97 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Corey Collier: 107 <-- 35 (-72)

WR Mario Williams: 115 <-- NR (N/A)

OT Eli Sutton: 152 <-- 80 (-72)

WR Jacorey Brooks: 154 <-- 43 (-111)

DE Jahzion Harris: 155 <-- 85 (-70)

LB Jonathan Flowe: 156 <-- NR (N/A)

S Ahmari Harvey: 158 <-- NR (N/A)

WR Solomon Lewis: 168 <-- NR (N/A)

TE Gage Wilcox: 175 <-- 71 (-104)

RB Phil Mafah: 223 <-- NR (N/A)

DT Leonard Taylor: 226 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Carlos Del Rio: 245 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Amari Daniels: NR <-- 44 (N/A)

Thoughts

Miami currently sits in very good spots for targets like Jason Marshall, Leonard Taylor, Cane Berrong, and Marcus Tate, who have all visited campus this spring, with Tate making multiple trips. Berrong makes his debut in the rankings and checked in as the #1 overall TE in the country, and he looked every bit of that at Paradise Camp this past off-season. Berrong has long been hoping for a Miami offer, which just came a few weeks back. Miami is the only school that Tate has really been visiting throughout the process, and while he won't say it, it certainly feels like the Canes have an early lead. Tate got a 17 spot bump and has continued to dominate the camp circuit this off-season, most recently winning MVP at the Opening Miami despite being an underclassman.

**Miami OL commit Laurence Seymore took a bit of a fall, dropping 123 spots down to #185 overall. That's something I can only see as a knock for his measured 6'1.5" height that he checked into the Opening Miami at, because Seymore has been one of the best linemen on the field every time he steps out there. He made the Final 5 linemen at the Opening Miami and is a true interior presence, as it's hard for defenders to deal with Seymore's raw power off the snap. A few others fell over 100 spots or more, including Jacorey Brooks, Gage Wilcox, and Amari Daniels, who fell out of the rankings entirely.

**A personal favorite of mine on the target list that I'd like to see Miami really push for the coming months is Plant City WR Mario Williams, who was ranked #115 overall. At 5'10" 165 pounds, his speed is incredible to watch, he sports strong hands, and is elite in his elusiveness in the open field. Miami was his first big offer before Williams starting landing bids from Alabama, UF, UGA, OU, and Notre Dame to name a few.

Advertisement
After previously releasing a top 100 last summer, the initial ranking of the 247Sports Top247 for the class of 2021 was released today.

How did Miami and the class of 2021 do? Miami had 6 commits in the intial Top247, up from 3 commits in the early Top 100 over the summer.

247Sports previously did not have any 5-stars in the 2020 class, but handed out three of the coveted 5-star designations today. Booker T. Washington DE Donell Harris, Miami's highest ranked commit, just missed out after placing at #4 overall, but did take over the top spot in the state of Florida after getting a 10 spot boost. American Heritage S James Williams was also near 5-star range, moving up 4 spots to #11 overall. Chaminade-Madonna RB Thad Franklin and Southwest DT Savion Collins earned their 4th-star and joined the rankings at #165 and #180 respectively.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Top247, reflecting another deep pool of talent locally.

Without further delay, here's a list of the Miami commits and targets in the initial 2021 Top247.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

DE Donell Harris
: 4 <-- 14 (+10)

S James Williams: 11 <-- 15 (+4)

RB Thad Franklin: 165 <-- NR (N/A)

DT Savion Collins: 180 <-- NR (N/A)

OG Laurence Seymore: 185 <-- 62 (-123)

LB Chamon Metayer: 188 <-- 93 (-95)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

WR Agiye Hall
: 14 <-- NR (N/A)

ATH Xavian Sorey: 17<-- NR (N/A)

QB JJ McCarthy: 19 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Preston Stone: 23 <-- 6 (-17)

QB Jake Garcia: 24 <-- 54 (+30)

DE Tunmise Adeleye: 47 <-- NR (N/A)

TE Cane Berrong: 59 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Donovan Edwards: 60 <-- 69 (+9)

OT Kingsley Suamataia: 61 <-- 11 (-50)

ATH David Daniel: 64 <-- NR (N/A)

LB Terrence Lewis: 65 <-- NR (N/A)

LB Branden Jennings: 66 <-- 79 (+13)

OT Marcus Tate: 77 <-- 94 (+17)

WR Brian Thomas: 78 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Jason Marshall: 80 <-- 41 (-39)

DE Jabari Ishmael: 97 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Corey Collier: 107 <-- 35 (-72)

WR Mario Williams: 115 <-- NR (N/A)

OT Eli Sutton: 152 <-- 80 (-72)

WR Jacorey Brooks: 154 <-- 43 (-111)

DE Jahzion Harris: 155 <-- 85 (-70)

LB Jonathan Flowe: 156 <-- NR (N/A)

S Ahmari Harvey: 158 <-- NR (N/A)

WR Solomon Lewis: 168 <-- NR (N/A)

TE Gage Wilcox: 175 <-- 71 (-104)

RB Phil Mafah: 223 <-- NR (N/A)

DT Leonard Taylor: 226 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Carlos Del Rio: 245 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Amari Daniels: NR <-- 44 (N/A)

Thoughts

Miami currently sits in very good spots for targets like Jason Marshall, Leonard Taylor, Cane Berrong, and Marcus Tate, who have all visited campus this spring, with Tate making multiple trips. Berrong makes his debut in the rankings and checked in as the #1 overall TE in the country, and he looked every bit of that at Paradise Camp this past off-season. Berrong has long been hoping for a Miami offer, which just came a few weeks back. Miami is the only school that Tate has really been visiting throughout the process, and while he won't say it, it certainly feels like the Canes have an early lead. Tate got a 17 spot bump and has continued to dominate the camp circuit this off-season, most recently winning MVP at the Opening Miami despite being an underclassman.

**Miami OL commit Laurence Seymore took a bit of a fall, dropping 123 spots down to #185 overall. That's something I can only see as a knock for his measured 6'1.5" height that he checked into the Opening Miami at, because Seymore has been one of the best linemen on the field every time he steps out there. He made the Final 5 linemen at the Opening Miami and is a true interior presence, as it's hard for defenders to deal with Seymore's raw power off the snap. A few others fell over 100 spots or more, including Jacorey Brooks, Gage Wilcox, and Amari Daniels, who fell out of the rankings entirely.

**A personal favorite of mine on the target list that I'd like to see Miami really push for the coming months is Plant City WR Mario Williams, who was ranked #115 overall. At 5'10" 165 pounds, his speed is incredible to watch, he sports strong hands, and is elite in his elusiveness in the open field. Miami was his first big offer before Williams starting landing bids from Alabama, UF, UGA, OU, and Notre Dame to name a few.
Thank you for another outstanding overview Stefan! Much appreciated!

I’ll ask a question and I expect some blowback but is Daniels overrated?

247 has him as a 3 star and rivals doesn’t even have him ranked. For a “can’t miss” and “generational” type player he’s certainly flying under the radar nationally.

Advertisement
@Stefan Adams Great Job!

Looking at the actual rankings, surprised at two oddities that stood out: Washington has commitments from a number of highly ranked recruits, and where is Bama? I have a feeling that a number of their boo$ter$ are getting calls for additional donation$.

I’ll ask a question and I expect some blowback but is Daniels overrated?

247 has him as a 3 star and rivals doesn’t even have him ranked. For a “can’t miss” and “generational” type player he’s certainly flying under the radar nationally.
Idk if anybody has ever characterized him as a can't miss generational type player though.

He's a good prospect with great Homerun hittin ability, but because he's been highly touted since 13U ball with the FTL Hurricanes I think people have the idea he was the next Dalvin Cook when he's not that.

Part of the issue was his Freshman year at Central he was in a crowded backfield that had 3 other D1 RB's in James Cook, Lexington Joseph & Kejon Owens, so his carries were limited. Then he transferred to Jackson (when his dad got the HC job there) where they have way way less talent than Central & was really the only player on the squad with any D1 offers.

He transferred back to Central for this upcoming season where he & Owens will be the main featured backs, plus playing behind that Central OL which is always loaded with P5 OLinemen he should have much better seasons his Junior & Senior year.

As far as the 21 class Thad Franklin is the best RB no doubt, we need to keep him in the fold no matter what. But Amari is still good for a 2nd option, along with Yulkeith Brown at Gully prep, Kelly Loiseau, Ralph Williams, Keith Phillips, Katravis Geter, Antonio Outler & a few others.

How do Collier and Marshall stand up to surtain and Campbell? We in for a rough one here? If taking Hanna means a better shot at those two then I’d bite that bullet tbh. Locking down elite corners is rare for us. Portier needs to be in the 2020 class as well. Defensive staff can’t ***** this up

Advertisement
I don't see how Amari Daniels is a 3-star. The kid has balled out at every level since pee-wees. He's been one of my favorite RBs.

IDK why Donovan Edwards is on our board. I don't see a kid from Michigan coming to Miami with the in state schools plus ND and Ohio St just around the corner.

There are so many great RBs in South Florida that going after Edwards is pointless. I think it's a waste of time.

Last edited:
IDK why Thad Franklin is on our board. I don't see a kid from Michigan coming to Miami with the in state schools plus ND and Ohio St just around the corner.

There are so many great RBs in South Florida that going after Franklin is pointless. I think it's a waste of time and pointless.
Are you dumb or stupid?

Advertisement
Idk if anybody has ever characterized him as a can't miss generational type player though.

He's a good prospect with great Homerun hittin ability, but because he's been highly touted since 13U ball with the FTL Hurricanes I think people have the idea he was the next Dalvin Cook when he's not that.

Part of the issue was his Freshman year at Central he was in a crowded backfield that had 3 other D1 RB's in James Cook, Lexington Joseph & Kejon Owens, so his carries were limited. Then he transferred to Jackson (when his dad got the HC job there) where they have way way less talent than Central & was really the only player on the squad with any D1 offers.

He transferred back to Central for this upcoming season where he & Owens will be the main featured backs, plus playing behind that Central OL which is always loaded with P5 OLinemen he should have much better seasons his Junior & Senior year.

As far as the 21 class Thad Franklin is the best RB no doubt, we need to keep him in the fold no matter what. But Amari is still good for a 2nd option, along with Yulkeith Brown at Gully prep, Kelly Loiseau, Ralph Williams, Keith Phillips, Katravis Geter, Antonio Outler & a few others.
I like Amari. When he was at Central as a sophomore, I thought he played better than James Cook. As I said in another post, IDK how he's rated as a 3-star?

Advertisement

Not surprised to see Brooks slide way down the rankings. The traits don't match the hype.

Tate and Seymore should be much higher on this list. Tate compares very favorably to Cody Ford.

Not surprised to see Brooks slide way down the rankings. The traits don't match the hype.

Tate and Seymore should be much higher on this list. Tate compares very favorably to Cody Ford.
Brooks just got to tighten up his 40 technique. He’s well under the national elite in the 200m I believe so that shows he’s got speed

Advertisement
Back