Miami Mentions: 2021 Rivals250 - Summer Update

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After previously releasing a spring update, Rivals unveiled their summer Rivals250 ranking for the 2021 cycle yesterday.

How did Miami and the class of 2021 do? The Canes upped their total in the Rivals250 from 1 to 2, with Miami Central (FL) OL Laurence Seymore earning his fourth star and becoming UM's highest ranked commit by checking in at #130 overall. Chaminade-Madonna (FL) RB Thad Franklin joined Seymore as Miami’s only other commit in the new rankings at #213 overall.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance in the new Rivals250, reflecting another deep pool of talent locally.

Without further delay, here's a list of the Miami commits and targets in the new 2021 Rivals250, with added thoughts about the update.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

OG Laurence Seymore
: 130 <-- NR (N/A)

RB Thad Franklin: 213 <--205 (-8)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

DT Maason Smith
: 6 <-- 6 (N/A)

S Corey Collier: 17 <-- 14 (-3)

OT Tristan Leigh: 28 <-- 26 (-2)

CB Ga’Quincy McKinstry: 48 <-- 46 (-2)

QB Jalen Milroe: 78 <-- 75 (-3)

OT Savion Byrd: 80 <-- 77 (-3)

OT Rayshaun Benny: 86 <-- 83 (-3)

DT Leonard Taylor: 116 <-- 115 (-1)

DT George Rooks: 123 <-- 123 (N/A)

DE Naquan Brown: 133 <-- 127 (-6)

DE Dallas Turner: 135 <-- NR (N/A)

QB Dematrius Davis: 144 <-- 170 (+26)

WR Romello Brinson: 147 <-- 164 (+17)

CB Jordan Young: 156 <-- NR (N/A)

S Kamren Kinchens: 168 <-- 163 (-5)

ATH Yulkeith Brown: 169 <-- 212 (+43)

WR Jacolby George: 174 <-- 165 (-9)

CB Nyland Green: 176 <-- 183 (-7)

DE Shambre Jackson: 191 <-- 192 (+1)

DE Jabari Ishmael: 196 <-- 191 (-5)

S Terrion Arnold: 209 <-- NR (N/A)

WR Malcolm Johnson: 220 <-- 213 (-7)

OG Josh Simmons: 237 <-- 227 (-10)

LB Ian Jackson: 248 <-- NR (N/A)

Thoughts

Rivals actually had Seymore as a 3-star, but they finally put some respect on his name by not only giving him his fourth star in this update, but moving him into the top 150 players in the country (#130 overall) as well. The only possible reason to have him that low to begin with is his height, but there’s no doubt Seymore is one of the most consistent performers once he steps between the lines. Dominant performances at both Rivals Miami and Under Armour Miami this offseason led to the rise and it's hard for defenders to deal with Seymore's raw power off the snap.

Rivals Midwest Recruiting Analyst Josh Hemholdt on Seymore’s bump:

“Just one offensive lineman made the jump from three-stars to four-stars in this update, and that was Miami offensive guard commit Laurence Seymore, who bested a talented lineup of linemen at the Miami Rivals Camp back in February to earn MVP honors. What he lacks in height, Seymore makes up for with a devastating initial punch and quick feet.”

He’ll have a limit on how high he can rise in the rankings due to his measurables, but there’s something to be said about a lineman like Seymore who never takes plays off and loves competition to his core. Seymore just moves people wherever he wants them to go. He’s going to be a fixture on the interior of Miami’s line for years to come.

**Another local prospect that earned a long-deserved bump was Seymore’s teammate at Miami Central in ATH Yulkeith Brown, who rocketed 43 spots into the top 200 (#169 overall). I’ve been on the Brown bandwagon for nearly two years now since I first saw him play, as Brown always proves why he is one of the most electric players in the country whether it’s at camps or in games. His quick, effortless movements in the slot make him a perfect fit for 7-on-7 play, and he’s being recruiting by Miami as a “Percy Harvin” type that can line up both in the backfield and in the slot in Rhett Lashlee’s offense. The Canes and LSU have been long thought to be the true players battling it out for Brown’s services, and both made his top 6 back in February. He may need to work on his hands, but I only see Brown’s profile continuing to rise.

**One of the more intriguing names I saw in this update was Gaither (FL) CB Jordan Young, who moved into the rankings at #156 overall and gained a fourth star. Young’s name hasn’t been thrown around a lot, but I know he is someone that UM has continued to keep in touch with through the quarantine. The 6-0 185 pound prospect attended Paradise Camp last summer and is a physical, in your face corner that breaks on the ball quickly on tape. Young has been relatively quiet on where he might be leaning, so UM will continue to work to get him on campus again once the school opens back up.

Advertisement
What am I missing? You have a now 4-star player, at a position of absolute need, with what looks like the desired measurables, and in typical UM DB recruiting fashion, we as just "keeping in touch". So again I ask, what am I missing?

Advertisement
"**Another local prospect that earned a long-deserved bump was Seymore’s teammate at Miami Central in ATH Yulkeith Brown, who rocketed 43 spots into the top 200 (#169 overall). I’ve been on the Brown bandwagon for nearly two years now since I first saw him play, as Brown always proves why he is one of the most electric players in the country whether it’s at camps or in games. His quick, effortless movements in the slot make him a perfect fit for 7-on-7 play, and he’s being recruiting by Miami as a “Roscoe Parrish” type that can line up both in the backfield and in the slot in Rhett Lashlee’s offense. The Canes and LSU have been long thought to be the true players battling it out for Brown’s services, and both made his top 6 back in February. He may need to work on his hands, but I only see Brown’s profile continuing to rise."

Fixed

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back