Miami Mentions: 2021 Rivals250 - Initial Release

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After previously releasing a Top 100 earlier this summer, Rivals unveiled their first Rivals250 ranking of the 2021 cycle today.

How did Miami and the class of 2021 do? Quite simply, the Canes struck big-time, leading the country with 6 commits inside the initial Rivals250. UM's highest ranked commit was Miami Palmetto DT Savion Collins, who checked in at #133. The high placement of UM's early commitments helped the Hurricanes hold onto the top spot in the 2021 Class Rankings as well.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance in the new Rivals250, reflecting another deep pool of talent locally.

Without further delay, here's a list of the Miami commits and targets in the new 2021 Rivals250.

Miami Commits (Rank)

DT Savion Collins: 133

WR Romello Brinson: 147

WR Jacolby George: 197

RB Thad Franklin: 212

LB Chamon Metayer: 225

OG Laurence Seymore: 238

Miami Targets (Rank)

S James Williams: 8

CB Corey Collier: 9

LB Terrence Lewis: 15

WR Jacorey Brooks: 18

DT Payton Page: 19

DT Maason Smith: 20

QB Jake Garcia: 24

DT Tywone Malone: 36

DE Tunmise Adeleye: 44

WR Trevonte Rucker: 46

LB Branden Jennings: 49

S Kaine Williams: 66

CB Jason Marshall: 71

LB Jonathan Flowe: 87

DE Tyreak Sapp: 112

TE Jake Briningstool: 131

DT George Rooks: 134

DE Bryce Langston: 140

OT Marcus Tate: 151

OT Eli Sutton: 153

S Andre Turrentine: 162

DE Jabari Ishmael: 181

S Kamren Kinchens: 190

RB Amari Daniels: 223

ATH Yulkeith Brown: 240

DT Leonard Taylor: 243

Thoughts

**The Canes top target rankings-wise is Western S James Williams
, a former commit who was one of four prospects to gain a 5th star in the new update. Obviously, the Rivals staff is quite high on Williams as a jumbo athlete that is a size-speed marvel. National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell has been impressed by Williams and sees him as comparable to a certain NFL talent:

"Safety James Williams as a new five-star is a kid who will put it all together and use his big frame and size to be special as a safety or linebacker. He reminds me of Taylor Mays."

Southeast Recruiting Analyst Chad Simmons adds to that, as he feels Williams is only going to get better from here:

"James Williams is an imposing safety out of Florida. He is pushing 6-foot-5 with a crazy long wingspan and the frame to add good weight. He has great range on the back-end of the defense and he has a nose for the football... he is likely to become a national name this fall, if he isn't already."

Williams has his respect around the recruiting industry, but he's long caught the attention of college coaches going up to the highest levels of the game. Schools such as Georgia, Clemson, and Alabama have started pushing hard for the Western star, but Williams has continued to show up on Miami's campus and says all the right things about keeping UM in his picture. Whether that ends up actually being the case or not will have a lot to do with how the Canes perform on the field this season.

**It's been interesting to see UM commit and Plantation WR Jacolby George get so much love in the rankings, first by ESPN in their Top300, and now by Rivals, as he checked in at #197 overall in this update. He was a mostly unknown name in the industry until he performed well at a UM camp this summer and received his Miami offer. Although he did have a productive sophomore season, his film showed a lack of top-tier speed or lateral agility that you want to see from a receiver under 6 foot. Fast-forward a few months, and George has already come on like gangbusters in 2019, recording 3 TD catches in a preseason scrimmage against reigning state champion Chaminade-Madonna 2 weeks back and putting South Florida on notice. I'm very intrigued to see if he can keep improving his game during his junior season and beyond, as Miami may have a steal on their hands.

**I'm always looking for disparity in the rankings between the recruiting services, and there may not be a bigger disagreement on anyone this cycle than with Miami Palmetto DT Leonard Taylor. While both 247Sports (#5 overall) and ESPN (#13 overall) have Taylor in their top 15 nationally and see him as an elite prospect, Rivals apparently vehemently disagrees, as the Miami Palmetto star just snuck in the rankings at #243 overall. I can only offer a guess, but the gap may be due to his size. Taylor is no doubt a quick and athletic interior lineman whose calling card is penetrating into the backfield, but he is around 250 pounds right now as DT. Clearly, Rivals wants to see more from him as a junior, and it bears watching to see if Taylor can keep that quickness as he puts on more weight.

Advertisement
If this season goes how I hope it does and this really is #TNM, we’ve got a good shot at bringing in some pretty special recruiting classes in the next couple years. But for now, just beat the **** out of the Gata

We not getting Williams they will give him anything those SEC schools, wins or not. Dont let those kids fool u thats just the default wins excuse that people tell them to say on why they dont want to go to Miami when they all know if they went to UM they would win. Even the MNW said we all know if we go to UM we would win and he still went to UGA.

Advertisement
Gotta drop a bag for James Williams. Kid has future top 10 pick written all over him.

Advertisement
was about to post a thread on this but will keep it in here. Win 10-11 games the next two years, play for/compete/win an ACC Ship and we have a serious opportunity in front of us to land some seriously elite dudes! I know, I know, bags for Collier and Williams, etc. but give them 2 ACC Titles appearances, maybe a an ACC Title and TNM to look at over the next two years and I'll take our chances.

Legit opportunity in front of us to have a class that has 15-17 ELITE 4* and 5* dudes.

Just ******* win baby!

Advertisement
Back