Miami Mentions: 2020 Rivals250 Initial Release

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The first rankings of the Rivals250 for the class of 2020 were released today.

In the initial rankings of a cycle, we get the first chance to see where players are valued in the current time. How did Miami and Category20 do? Well, six of their eight commits landed in the Rivals250, headlined by WR Marc Britt at #43 overall.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Rivals250, reflecting yet another deep pool of talent in Florida this year.

Without further delay, here's a handy, dandy list of the Miami commits and targets in the initial Rivals250 for the 2020 class.

Miami Commits (Rank)

WR
Marc Britt: 43

CB Henry Gray: 86

DE Samuel Anaele: 92

DT Tre'von Riggins: 115

TE Dominic Mammarelli: 182

DT Willie Moise: 209

Miami Targets (Rank)

OT
Myles Hinton: 5

RB Zachary Evans: 6

ATH Arik Gilbert: 9

WR Leonard Manuel: 10

CB Fred Davis: 13

OT Paris Johnson Jr.: 14

RB Kendall Milton: 15

WR Demond Demas: 20

OT Tate Ratledge: 22

QB Harrison Bailey: 24

WR Marcus Rosemy: 29

WR Porter Rooks: 32

ATH Avantae Williams: 35

ATH Tank Bigsby: 36

QB Max Johnson: 47

RB Demarkcus Bowman: 48

LB Derek Wingo: 60

WR Jermaine Burton: 71

WR AJ Henning: 72

DE Zykeivous Walker: 74

OT Jalen Rivers: 100

S Lejond Cavazos: 101

RB Don Chaney Jr.: 102

LB Kevin Swint: 112

WR Bryan Robinson: 119

DT Timothy Smith: 129

DE Andy Boykin: 139

OT Marcus Dumervil: 140

OT Miller Merriweather-Lewis: 168

OT Chad Lindberg: 190

S Rashad Torrence: 199

ATH Jayion McCluster: 208

OG Jonathan Denis: 211

QB Luke Doty: 242

What I liked

**Putting UM CB target Fred Davis so high up.
I’ve been a big fan of Davis since I first saw him, and he really impresses with both his NFL frame and his raw athleticism. What I think truly sets Davis apart from the rest, though, is his length. While some might question an early 5-star rank for a guy with so much developing still to do, it’s clear Davis has all the tools he needs to be a future first round draft pick and he is in the right place at Trinity Christian, a school with a reputation for producing elite defensive backs over the years. Miami is in a good spot right now for Davis, but will have to do battle with a bunch of elite programs to land his signature in the end.

**WR Marc Britt’s ascent was a long-time coming. He crushed Paradise Camp last July and put himself on the map, then followed that up by putting some electric plays on tape in his sophomore season at Champagnat-Catholic. Britt can fly, but he’s not just some slot speedster: the kid can go up and over any DB and is elite at high-pointing the ball in the air. He’s one of my favorite receivers in this class and was being slept-on by many. Britt’s spot in the top 50 is well-deserved and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to push that even higher in the next 2 years.

**I feel like QB Max Johnson is in the perfect range at this point of his development. He just has so many things that coaches salivate over and can’t teach, like the elite height and arm strength. But there are still a few things that are lacking in his game, mainly mobility and consistency, and he had just an okay showing at Mark Richt’s summer camp this weekend. However, as long as he keeps refining his game, Johnson has the potential to push for 5-star status before the rankings cycle comes to an end. Johnson was one of the few 2020 prospects that was invited to the “Miami Nights” event last weekend and is being treated as UM’s top QB target right now.

**I loved the inclusion of OG Jonathan Denis at #211. Put simply, the guy is a finisher that plays with aggression, which is exactly the type of lineman Stacy Searels is recruiting here at UM. Denis doesn’t stop mauling until his guy is on the ground and that is the attitude that is needed at such a tough position. And intangibles-wise, everything I’ve heard about him is extremely positive, from grades, to personality, to being a good teammate. Denis is just a guy you want on your team and I would call UM his leader as of now.

**Marcus Rosemy might just be the best receiver in this class, and I’m glad he’s being treated as a serious contender for that honor at #29 overall. He lit up the camp scene this off-season and made his impact felt in every event I saw him at. His ball skills are next level and he is very sound coming in and out of his breaks. UM taking so long to offer him was a crime, but I’m glad they corrected their mistake by extending him a scholarship at the 7-on-7 camps on campus. I heard he was considering committing the following Monday, but decided to hold off on an early decision for the time being.

What I Hated

**It’s not that I dislike Derek Wingo as a player
; far from it actually. He has size and athleticism already as a rising junior at the linebacker position with a lot of potential. However, for where he is right now in his development, #60 overall is way too high. Wingo is a former QB that will play linebacker at the next level. He attended many of the camps this off-season and while LB is the hardest position to make an impact at camps, he didn’t really stand out and certainly not to the point of pushing for top 50 status in his class. I also worry that the depth at linebacker at STA will be a detriment to his development because he really needs as many live reps as he can get. Miami just offered Wingo, something he was really waiting on, and he will give plenty of consideration to his hometown team.

**Honestly, there isn’t too much I really disliked here and I think Rivals mostly got it right. A few other minor gripes I would have is ATH Avantae Williams slightly too high at #35 and RB Don Chaney Jr. slightly too low at #102, but I really think it’s just a matter of preference and I don’t really hate either ranking. Both are very good prospects with top 100 abilities. Other Miami commits like WR Marcus Fleming and DE Elijah Roberts are right on the borderline and have the talent to be included in future top 250 rankings, but I wouldn't say they are clearly in that tier as of today.

Advertisement
Two kids in the top 40 that de committed hurts but overall this class is off to an incredible start

We can complain about the 2020 class being too far out and how we shouldn't care but this is the new age of recruiting. Guys I think we have a great shot at are: WR Leonard Manuel: 10, CB Fred Davis: 13, WR Marcus Rosemy: 29, ATH Avantae Williams: 35, QB Max Johnson: 47, LB Derek Wingo: 60, WR Jermaine Burton: 71, OT Jalen Rivers: 100, RB Don Cheney Jr.: 102, DT Timothy Smith: 129, OT Marcus Dumervil: 140, OT Miller Merriweather-Lewis: 168, OG Jonathan Denis: 211 ... that is an insane list. Obviously we won't land them all but I would feel good about our changes with all of them on 6/20/2018. Catgeory20 will be special!

Naw Marcus Fleming definitely one of the 250 best players in his class, his film says it. Not to mention his elite speed and leading Dade county in receiving last season

Advertisement
From everything I have read here and elsewhere about Don Chaney Jr. I thought he would be MUCH higher. Is he an absolute stud like he is hyped? His film looks great, but I am no talent evaluator like some on this board.

All UM 2020' commits in my eyes should be higher, but Chaney and a few others have UM their leaders at the moment, so we know how that goes!! IF Chaney would've had Bama his leader, he probably would've been considered the best RB in his class..

THESE RECRUITING RANKINGS AND STARS, ARE STRAIGHT POLITICS!! IT'S ALL ABOUT KEEPING CERTAIN TEAMS ON THE TOP AND KEEPING OTHERS AT THE BOTTOM..

Our staff knows who are the talent in SoFla, that's all that matters!!

Why aren’t we talking Rosemy more? That tidbit on him moved my pants a bit. Is there something I’m missing, kid ha a stud. Get him and shut down the WR Class.

Advertisement

In the initial rankings of a cycle, we get the first chance to see where players are valued in the current time. How did Miami and Category20 do? Well, six of their eight commits landed in the Rivals250, headlined by WR Marc Britt at #43 overall.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Rivals250, reflecting yet another deep pool of talent in Florida this year.

Without further delay, here's a handy, dandy list of the Miami commits and targets in the initial Rivals250 for the 2020 class.

Miami Commits (Rank)

WR Marc Britt: 43

DT Tre’Von Riggins: 115

Miami Targets (Rank)

OT Myles Hinton: 5

What I liked

**Putting UM CB target Fred Davis so high up. I’ve been a big fan of Davis since I first saw him, and he really impresses with both his NFL frame and his raw athleticism. What I think truly sets Davis apart from the rest, though, is his length. While some might question an early 5-star rank for a guy with so much developing still to do, it’s clear Davis has all the tools he needs to be a future first round draft pick and he is in the right place at Trinity Christian, a school with a reputation for producing elite defensive backs over the years. Miami is in a good spot right now for Davis, but will have to do battle with a bunch of elite programs to land his signature in the end.

**WR Marc Britt’s ascent was a long-time coming. He crushed Paradise Camp last July and put himself on the map, then followed that up by putting some electric plays on tape in his sophomore season at Champagnat-Catholic. Britt can fly, but he’s not just some slot speedster: the kid can go up and over any DB and is elite at high-pointing the ball in the air. He’s one of my favorite receivers in this class and was being slept-on by many. Britt’s spot in the top 50 is well-deserved and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to push that even higher in the next 2 years.

**I feel like QB Max Johnson is in the perfect range at this point of his development. He just has so many things that coaches salivate over and can’t teach, like the elite height and arm strength. But there are still a few things that are lacking in his game, mainly mobility and consistency, and he had just an okay showing at Mark Richt’s summer camp this weekend. However, as long as he keeps refining his game, Johnson has the potential to push for 5-star status before the rankings cycle comes to an end. Johnson was one of the few 2020 prospects that was invited to the “Miami Nights” event last weekend and is being treated as UM’s top QB target right now.

**I loved the inclusion of OG Jonathan Denis at #211. Put simply, the guy is a finisher that plays with aggression, which is exactly the type of lineman Stacy Searels is recruiting here at UM. Denis doesn’t stop mauling until his guy is on the ground and that is the attitude that is needed at such a tough position. And intangibles-wise, everything I’ve heard about him is extremely positive, from grades, to personality, to being a good teammate. Denis is just a guy you want on your team and I would call UM his leader as of now.

**Marcus Rosemy might just be the best receiver in this class, and I’m glad he’s being treated as a serious contender for that honor at #29 overall. He lit up the camp scene this off-season and made his impact felt in every event I saw him at. His ball skills are next level and he is very sound coming in and out of his breaks. UM taking so long to offer him was a crime, but I’m glad they corrected their mistake by extending him a scholarship at the 7-on-7 camps on campus. I heard he was considering committing the following Monday, but decided to hold off on an early decision for the time being.

What I Hated

**It’s not that I dislike Derek Wingo as a player; far from it actually. He has size and athleticism already as a rising junior at the linebacker position with a lot of potential. However, for where he is right now in his development, #60 overall is way too high. Wingo is a former QB that is making the transition to linebacker for the next level. He attended many of the camps this off-season and while LB is the hardest position to make an impact at camps, he didn’t really stand out and certainly not to the point of pushing for top 50 status in his class. I also worry that the depth at linebacker at STA will be a detriment to his development because he really needs as many live reps as he can get. Miami just offered Wingo, something he was really waiting on, and he will give plenty of consideration to his hometown team.

**Honestly, there isn’t too much I really disliked here and I think Rivals mostly got it right. A few other minor gripes I would have is ATH Avantae Williams slightly too high at #35 and RB Don Chaney Jr. slightly too low at #102, but I really think it’s just a matter of preference and I don’t really hate either ranking. Both are very good prospects with top 100 abilities. Other Miami commits like WR Marcus Fleming and DE Elijah Roberts are right on the borderline and have the talent to be included in future top 250 rankings, but I wouldn't say they are clearly in that tier as of today.

U guys have been pretty straightforward about Burton & Manuel not likely to end up a part of the class. Burton went back to Georgia. So that one I got. But.. Nobody ever really said what happened with Manuel. I read an interview with him just before he decommitted & the FIRST thing he said was he's all Miami. He went so far as to stop the interview just to point it out. Then he bounces a day or two later. Anything u can say about it?
And what about Avantae Williams? Since Lingard is his cousin, is he likely to end up back in the class? Just having fun with the process. Or...?

All UM 2020' commits in my eyes should be higher, but Chaney and a few others have UM their leaders at the moment, so we know how that goes!! IF Chaney would've had Bama his leader, he probably would've been considered the best RB in his class..

THESE RECRUITING RANKINGS AND STARS, ARE STRAIGHT POLITICS!! IT'S ALL ABOUT KEEPING CERTAIN TEAMS ON THE TOP AND KEEPING OTHERS AT THE BOTTOM..

Our staff knows who are the talent in SoFla, that's all that matters!!
There’s no facts to back this up at all.

Hot take here but if nkosi plays this year and balls out and becomes the starter I say Manuel recommits. They’re like best friends so I hear. But if bags involved then I’m just shooting blanks

U guys have been pretty straightforward about Burton & Manuel not likely to end up a part of the class. Burton went back to Georgia. So that one I got. But.. Nobody ever really said what happened with Manuel. I read an interview with him just before he decommitted & the FIRST thing he said was he's all Miami. He went so far as to stop the interview just to point it out. Then he bounces a day or two later. Anything u can say about it?
And what about Avantae Williams? Since Lingard is his cousin, is he likely to end up back in the class? Just having fun with the process. Or...?

I've talked a little about it, but it's really just a case of kids committing way too early, then realizing they wanted to actually play out the process. Of the three, Williams is the most likely to end up back in the class. Like you said, the family ties. He also hadn't really been taking visits to other places while committed to UM and decided he wanted to take some trips to other schools. He didn't want disrespect UM by being committed on one hand and then visiting a bunch of places on the other.

Burton committing to Miami was a rash decision to me because he never visited. That was him stepping back and deciding he made a mistake. Him being back in Georgia now just made it even more clear to him. Manuel has decommitted from two different programs now before his junior season. I don't blame him for decommitting from Tennessee after the disaster they had this season, but the commit-decommit from Miami after everything at UT raised a lot of red flags to me. He's absolutely loving the attention he's getting from the big-time schools and you get more of it if you're undecided than if you're committed somewhere. Miami just never usually gets those type of guys.

Advertisement

Miami Commits (Rank)

WR Marc Britt: 43

DT Tre’Von Riggins: 115

Miami Targets (Rank)

OT Myles Hinton: 5

What I liked

**Putting UM CB target Fred Davis so high up. I’ve been a big fan of Davis since I first saw him, and he really impresses with both his NFL frame and his raw athleticism. What I think truly sets Davis apart from the rest, though, is his length. While some might question an early 5-star rank for a guy with so much developing still to do, it’s clear Davis has all the tools he needs to be a future first round draft pick and he is in the right place at Trinity Christian, a school with a reputation for producing elite defensive backs over the years. Miami is in a good spot right now for Davis, but will have to do battle with a bunch of elite programs to land his signature in the end.

What I Hated

**It’s not that I dislike Derek Wingo as a player; far from it actually. He has size and athleticism already as a rising junior at the linebacker position with a lot of potential. However, for where he is right now in his development, #60 overall is way too high. Wingo is a former QB that will play linebacker at the next level. He attended many of the camps this off-season and while LB is the hardest position to make an impact at camps, he didn’t really stand out and certainly not to the point of pushing for top 50 status in his class. I also worry that the depth at linebacker at STA will be a detriment to his development because he really needs as many live reps as he can get. Miami just offered Wingo, something he was really waiting on, and he will give plenty of consideration to his hometown team.

I personally do not agree with all the committing and decommiting and I agree feel these athletes commit WAY too early for status not for the reasons they should. I do agree Rosemy is huge for 2020 class. The rankings ect are simply the opinions of media and what they see at that moment in addition to not getting all the facts on these athletes, in my opinion anyway. Most of these athletes will flip flop positions all throughout high school and many can and do play multiple positions. You also mentioned Wingo, as “what you hated” the facts on this one are also wrong, having seen him at a camp a couple years back LB was his primary position, he transitioned to QB to assist where his high school team needed him, because he is capable of playing multiple positions as many of these SoFlo athletes are when you have a depth chart like STA in your primary position I would think you play wherever you can to get time in on the field. Regardless of the numbers 2020 class is going to be far more loaded than the current class thatbis a fact.

From everything I have read here and elsewhere about Don Chaney Jr. I thought he would be MUCH higher. Is he an absolute stud like he is hyped? His film looks great, but I am no talent evaluator like some on this board.

He's a top 40 player nationally and the #3 recruit in FL on 247.

That's some pretty high praise. Rivals has him a bit lower obviously, but he's highly regarded across the board, just seems like it's too early to say if he'll be a 5*.

Advertisement
There’s no facts to back this up at all.
Every write up on Chaney he says Miami is his leader, it got to point where most fans were saying "just commit already"!! But you right no facts, BUT what is fact IS that Miami commit's and main targets always seem to get screwed by these rankings!! We see it all the time, a recruit is committed or a heavy UM lean, when they do these rankings all those recruits seem to get screwed!! Fans have been complaining about it for years, THAT'S FACT..

I agree.. One day Manuel and Williams were locked in and then a few days later, the wheels fell off and Miami got 3 de-commits in 2020' and no one really knows what happen!!

Recruit Info Ranking:
1. 247
2. ESPN
3. SCOUT
4. ME
5. YOU
6. RIVALS/MAXPREPS
I don't know why u say this but i find that Rivals is the most legit to me. When i look back at the players rankings after they become upperclassmen i find them more accurate than ESPN. Dont really have too much opinion on 247 ranking system. They get good insights and interview though

I don't know why u say this but i find that Rivals is the most legit to me. When i look back at the players rankings after they become upperclassmen i find them more accurate than ESPN. Dont really have too much opinion on 247 ranking system. They get good insights and interview though

ESPN is awful. They put all their stock in guys who play in Under Armour game.

Advertisement
Back