Miami Mentions: 2019 Top247 Final Update

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The final update of the Top247 for the class of 2019 was released today by 247Sports.

And there was plenty of movement in the most recent version of the rankings, as there were tons of movers and shakers after senior film evals and all-star game performances revealed new insight on the senior class.

How did Miami and Surge19 do? The Canes' held steady with 5 commits/signees in the newest rankings, the same as the last update in December. DT Jason Blissett was the largest mover of the group, shooting up 29 spots into the top 200 overall.

There were also a few of Hurricanes targets that made an appearance in the Top247 as Miami attempts to wrap up their efforts for the 2019 cycle. LB Eugene Asante was the largest riser from the pack, as he went from a 3-star outside the Top247 to adding a 4th star and landing at #180 overall.

Without further delay, here's a handy, dandy list of the Miami commits and targets in the newest Top247.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

WR Jeremiah Payton: 78 <-- 75 (-3)

S Keontra Smith: 138 <-- 131 (-7)

DE Jahfari Harvey: 158 <-- 162 (+4)

LB Avery Huff: 167 <-- 182 (+15)

DT Jason Blissett: 175 <-- 204 (+29)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

WR George Pickens: 41 <-- 58 (+17)

DE Khris Bogle: 49 <-- 60 (+11)

CB Kaiir Elam: 74 <-- 69 (-5)

ATH Mark-Antony Richards: 83 <-- 101 (+18)

LB Eugene Asante: 180 <-- NR (N/A)

CB Christian Williams: 221 <-- 154 (-67)

Thoughts

**Miami DT signee Jason Blissett continued his massive ascent throughout the cycle, pushing into the top 200 overall with a 29 spot bump after starting 2018 completely unranked. UM identified him early and he really impressed me at Paradise Camp back in July, showing superb athleticism and quick feet for an interior lineman. He'll have to continue to add mass, but Blissett arguably has the highest upside of anyone in Surge19.

**WR George Pickens also got a bump, gaining 17 spots in the new update. With Pickens, it’s all about his 6’5” frame and how easy he makes it look out there to run with that build. He played like a man possessed when I saw him out at the Opening Finals in July, as Pickens is very fluid and used that frame to make himself the Opening’s top red-zone target, grabbing a whopping 9 touchdowns over the two days. Although he just missed the cut in the Top247 final rankings, he certainly deserves to be a 5-star in my mind, so it's nice to see that he hit that threshold in the 247Composite. Pickens is currently committed to Auburn, but is considering taking an official visit to Miami for one of the final two weekends of the cycle. Georgia and LSU are also involved for the Hoover High product.

**Late last week, I was told by a program source just how much Miami loved LB Eugene Asante's tape (hint: a lot). It seems 247Sports agreed with that evaluation, as Asante broke through the glass ceiling to receive a 4th star and land at #180 overall after not even getting a ranking from 247 at all until last month (barely in the top 800). On film, Asante shows traits of an explosive, quick-twitch athlete. He has great flexibility with loose hips to turn, twist, and chase, adding excellent reactive quickness and change-of-direction agility. As a dynamic playmaker in space, Asante locks onto targets and instantly accelerates to the ball. Miami is currently competing with FSU and UNC for two of his final official visits, with Virginia Tech thought to hold a slight lead at the moment.

Advertisement
So...

@Stefan Adams Asante...tell me more about Miami's interest and what kind of competition we are looking at for his commitment.

Also, am I to assume that Miami has their last two LB prospects as #1 Asante and #2 OC Brothers? If so, are they both takes or is it one or the other?

Also, George Pickens...is there real interest from Pickens in joining this class or is this just a hail mary by the staff to get a top WR this cycle?

Advertisement
Advertisement
So...

@Stefan Adams Asante...tell me more about Miami's interest and what kind of competition we are looking at for his commitment.

Also, am I to assume that Miami has their last two LB prospects as #1 Asante and #2 OC Brothers? If so, are they both takes or is it one or the other?

Also, George Pickens...is there real interest from Pickens in joining this class or is this just a hail mary by the staff to get a top WR this cycle?

Not much to add from what was written. I mentioned in a write-up Asante was the priority earlier in the week. From what I heard, staff was effusive in praising his film much more than you’d expect from a mid-level 3-star.

My opinion is Pickens is a hail mary but get him on campus and you never know.

Small edit:

S Keontra Smith: 131 <-- 138 (-7)

8937350.jpg

Keontra SmithChaminade-Madonna Prep (Hollywood, FL)

should be 138 <-- 129 (-9)

Advertisement
This kid Blissett is a STUD. Great pick up by Jess Simpson. Based on his athletisim and quickness he could play defensive end to the boundary side of the defense in some situations moreover at 6'4 270 he's more physically ready than the other defensive ends being brought in. Looking at his film he does alot of things good ie...using his hands.. getting flat down the line when ball is away and his motor is ridiculous at his size. An underrated get that's not being talked about enough.

Advertisement
Back