Miami in season/program changing games

Miami04

Senior
I thought about posting this after Texas A&M but I figured I'd wait till we beat MTSU so it didn't seem like piling on...oh well.

I started thinking about important Miami games over the last 15ish years and how we seem to always wilt to big game pressure. Whether that is bad coaching, players not showing up or what I figured the numbers would be bad. These are games that had a chance to send us to an ACC title game, send us to a major bowl game, a bowl game (not a terrible one), or huge statement on TV. Obviously the more you win the bigger the games become.

2022 - Texas A&M L

2021 - Alabama L

2020 - Clemson L
UNC L
Oklahoma St. L

2019 - UF L

2018 - LSU L

2017 - ND W
Pitt (finish season undefeated) L
Clemson L
Wisconsin L

2016 - FSU L
WVU W

2015 - None (year we fired Golden)

2014 - Louisville L

2013 - UF W
Louisville L

2012 - ND L

2011 - Ohio St. W

2010 - Ohio St. L
FSU L

2009 - FSU W
VT L
Oklahoma W
Clemson L
Wisconsin L

6 wins
19 losses

I don't know what the point of this is, except I am so tired on losing important games. I do consider this UNC game a big one.

I also don't believe this is the type of culture you fix in year one. There is no excuse for losing to MTSU, and that was not a big game, but this was always going to be a big rebuild. I'm riding with Mario until he proves he can't bring in the type of players we need.

Bonus stat - We have lost every game to P5 out of conference teams since beating ND in 2017. 0-8

Advertisement
sad chris geere GIF by You're The Worst

I thought about posting this after Texas A&M but I figured I'd wait till we beat MTSU so it didn't seem like piling on...oh well.

I started thinking about important Miami games over the last 15ish years and how we seem to always wilt to big game pressure. Whether that is bad coaching, players not showing up or what I figured the numbers would be bad. These are games that had a chance to send us to an ACC title game, send us to a major bowl game, a bowl game (not a terrible one), or huge statement on TV. Obviously the more you win the bigger the games become.

2022 - Texas A&M L

2021 - Alabama L

2020 - Clemson L
UNC L
Oklahoma St. L

2019 - UF L

2018 - LSU L

2017 - ND W
Pitt (finish season undefeated) L
Clemson L
Wisconsin L

2016 - FSU L
WVU W

2015 - None (year we fired Golden)

2014 - Louisville L

2013 - UF W
Louisville L

2012 - ND L

2011 - Ohio St. W

2010 - Ohio St. L
FSU L

2009 - FSU W
VT L
Oklahoma W
Clemson L
Wisconsin L

6 wins
19 losses

I don't know what the point of this is, except I am so tired on losing important games. I do consider this UNC game a big one.

I also don't believe this is the type of culture you fix in year one. There is no excuse for losing to MTSU, and that was not a big game, but this was always going to be a big rebuild. I'm riding with Mario until he proves he can't bring in the type of players we need.

Bonus stat - We have lost every game to P5 out of conference teams since beating ND in 2017. 0-8
Well, we got 7 big game losses in a row, maybe we get one W on Saturday. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Advertisement

The point is that we still have fans expecting to just go into these big games and roll, despite no track record of really doing so in 16 years.

These same people screamed "15-0!" when Mario was hired and then are shocked a 7-5 team from last year didn't just roll out of College Station with an upset win.

Too many fans treat Miami for what is was all those years ago—not what this program is.

"No business losing to Middle Tennessee State!"

Based on what? If Marshall can beat Notre Dame in South Bend and Appalachian State can beat Texas A&M in their house, why can't once-mighty Miami fall to a bunch of scrubs from Murfreesboro?

One more time for those who don't want to face reality:

118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl; averages out to 7-5 a year since 2006 ... 21-15 under Diaz (won three games by nine points in '21, three games by eight points in '20) ... 28-24 since Richt's 10-0 start (he finished 7-9 before quitting ... one Coastal title in 17 tries, 0-for-18 in ACC title (Virginia Tech won the ACC four times since joining in 2004 and took the Coastal six time their first 13 seasons) ... Cristobal is Miami third coach in five seasons and sixth head coach in 17 seasons.

What about any of that is championship caliber? This was a legit rebuild whether this fan base can admit it or not. Fans attempting some logic said 9-3 at best this year—and that would be a miracle right now.

The point is that we still have fans expecting to just go into these big games and roll, despite no track record of really doing so in 16 years.

These same people screamed "15-0!" when Mario was hired and then are shocked a 7-5 team from last year didn't just roll out of College Station with an upset win.

Too many fans treat Miami for what is was all those years ago—not what this program is.

"No business losing to Middle Tennessee State!"

Based on what? If Marshall can beat Notre Dame in South Bend and Appalachian State can beat Texas A&M in their house, why can't once-mighty Miami fall to a bunch of scrubs from Murfreesboro?

One more time for those who don't want to face reality:

118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl; averages out to 7-5 a year since 2006 ... 21-15 under Diaz (won three games by nine points in '21, three games by eight points in '20) ... 28-24 since Richt's 10-0 start (he finished 7-9 before quitting ... one Coastal title in 17 tries, 0-for-18 in ACC title (Virginia Tech won the ACC four times since joining in 2004 and took the Coastal six time their first 13 seasons) ... Cristobal is Miami third coach in five seasons and sixth head coach in 17 seasons.

What about any of that is championship caliber? This was a legit rebuild whether this fan base can admit it or not. Fans attempting some logic said 9-3 at best this year—and that would be a miracle right now.
People can not face reality and the short term memory of this fanbase is insane. There is a reason we win every off season.

Advertisement
Are people considering this game big. Obviously the 2 fan bases are but if we lose, well, no s***, we just lost to the middle of Tennessee. Not even the outside parts.

If we win, then we beat a team that should have lost to App State, do beaten by ND (a team that stunk it up for 3 weeks) and beat VT. They sit second in probably the worst division in the power 5.
This is not relevant on a national level. I doubt this qualifies as a big game.
But those numbers are awful. Hopefully there is light at the tunnel for us soon.

Advertisement
Back