GojiraCane

All ACC
1651802716275.png

1651802746296.png
1651802759690.png
1651802775532.png

Advertisement
The glaring weekness is LB.

I think it was Dmoney that was saying we should play Thomas Davis at all 4 linebacker sports. Deonte Hightowver, Kyle Van Noy, Quay Walker & Jamie Collins all sort of represent that skillset.

Thomas Davis rushed the passer well during spring, but it would be great for us if he could also play off ball.

Hopefully we'll add another through the portal.

Needed one more at OT, LB, & WR but Mario is walking into a team that can win immediately. Only a couple years away from a CFP contending roster.

Has Tyler Johnson definitely left? I saw rumors but couldn't find verified....Also Sam Brooks?

I'm surprised that at least 1-2 of Harrell, K.Wash, Matocha, C.Reed didn't transfer.

So by the numbers, we have less talent this year than last year.

Everyone has their offseason shades on predicting 10 wins but the roster is not 3 wins better than last year.

I got us down for 8 wins

Advertisement
I think it was Dmoney that was saying we should play Thomas Davis at all 4 linebacker sports. Deonte Hightowver, Kyle Van Noy, Quay Walker & Jamie Collins all sort of represent that skillset.

Thomas Davis rushed the passer well during spring, but it would be great for us if he could also play off ball.

Hopefully we'll add another through the portal.

I was hoping we would move Davis AND Brooks around, using them as edge rushers and stand up backers.

The more I look at this, the more i'm convinced we run a lot of 12 set personnel. In that case, not concerned w/ WR situation.

The more I look at this, the more i'm convinced we run a lot of 12 set personnel. In that case, not concerned w/ WR situation.

I’m all for 12 personnel. But with a guy like TVD, and the 2023 wide receiver class looking on, you have to air it out a bit. Besides which, it completely disrupts the coverage. Bringing the UCF kid.

Everyone has their offseason shades on predicting 10 wins but the roster is not 3 wins better than last year.

I got us down for 8 wins
No. With the drop in personnel our blue chip ratio is actually slightly higher.

Brooks departure put us at 85 scholarships.

Advertisement
No. With the drop in personnel our blue chip ratio is actually slightly higher.

Brooks departure put us at 85 scholarships.

I just look at the count of blue chip players, not the ratio. The denominator in the ratio makes it a bad metric - you’re rewarded for having fewer players which is silly. The numerator is the useful piece of information to focus on

I just look at the count of blue chip players, not the ratio. The denominator in the ratio makes it a bad metric - you’re rewarded for having fewer players which is silly. The numerator is the useful piece of information to focus on
I think you also have to throw at 2021 - for any team - due to the special roster circumstances due to COVID. Perhaps the better comparison is 2022 vs 2020.

Advertisement
Even so, the wild card is TVD.

If you have a QB that is capable of putting you on their back and winning you some games, that's good for another 3 wins at the college level. TVD looks to be that guy. I say we're 10 wins minimum because of that

I got us down for 8 wins
One position can make or break - quarterback. We had mid-level (2018) and poor (2019) QB play in these two years. We also had 6-7 more plus chips those years than in 2017. On paper our talent level was higher, yet we had significantly fewer wins than in 2017.

TVD should improve YoY. He’s a first round quarterback in all likelihood. We haven’t had that since Steve Walsh. Malik Rozier was not. Jarren Williams was not. In a partial year 1, TVD was 6-3 as a starter, and finished on a 5-1 run. Aside from concerns about replacing Rambo, we should be equal to better at every position this year. And it’s an older team too. Many of our most valuable players were first and second year players; those are now supplemented by a hoard of complementary transfer pieces. 4 losses would be the absolute floor. 0 regular season losses are our ceiling.

I think you also have to throw at 2021 - for any team - due to the special roster circumstances due to COVID. Perhaps the better comparison is 2022 vs 2020.

You’re right about 2021. Maybe you could do the ratio but use 85 as the denominator for every year except ‘21, where you could use the actual to somewhat normalize the data.

But yeah throwing it out makes sense too

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back