Miami Hurricanes at Florida Atlantic University, 4.19.23, 6:30pm EST

Advertisement
letterkenny GIF by CraveTV

Did the idiot actually sub out Cyr?
You think that is why we lost? One, Cyr did not have a good night at the plate. It was a defensive substitution. Dorian's only plate appearance he walked. You think Miami was planning on Walters blowing a lead in the bottom of the 9th?

1-2 inning save needed. Who do we trust more right now? Walters or Torres. If our staff wasn’t all on IR I would consider flipping their roles this weekend.

This exact scenario played out to close out the year last year with walters.

Advertisement
1-2 inning save needed. Who do we trust more right now? Walters or Torres. If our staff wasn’t all on IR I would consider flipping their roles this weekend.

This exact scenario played out to close out the year last year with walters.
I havent been able to watch outside of gamecast the last 3-4 games. Is his velo dropping? I know he was showing his breaking ball a bit more and it seemed like it was great for at least keeping guys even more honest. Have they abandoned that and just gone pure fastball again?

I havent been able to watch outside of gamecast the last 3-4 games. Is his velo dropping? I know he was showing his breaking ball a bit more and it seemed like it was great for at least keeping guys even more honest. Have they abandoned that and just gone pure fastball again?
Last year the fastball lost velo and he started elevating it. Not to mention late in the season guys have seen it all and begin to feast on fastballs.

I trust Torres the most on the mound from this team currently. He hits his spots and his stuff is good enough at this level.

Advertisement
Last year the fastball lost velo and he started elevating it. Not to mention late in the season guys have seen it all and begin to feast on fastballs.

I trust Torres the most on the mound from this team currently. He hits his spots and his stuff is good enough at this level.
I remember last year his velo dropped a bit but it just didnt even have the same late life on it. Became a very hittable 94-95.

I worry now that a bunch of our long relievers and pen guys are going to get worn down as we over use down the stretch. It will suck even more if we finish fairly strong only for our guys to be gassed out for the regional.

I get not wanting to extend Torres since he's a likely weekend starter but he probably should have been allowed to pitch the 8th. Rafe got knocked around by BCU the night before and should not have been inserted into that spot.

I get not wanting to extend Torres since he's a likely weekend starter but he probably should have been allowed to pitch the 8th. Rafe got knocked around by BCU the night before and should not have been inserted into that spot.
Prior to ligon injury and another guy going down this week I wanted Torres as a weekend starter. But now I don’t know how we do that unless we decide to roll the dice on unproven/not good guys on the back end.

If Torres starts you have rafe, the freshman class, Gallo, and scinta to hand the ball to walters…. Assuming chestnut is first guy throwing off the bench

Yikes

The elevated strike has been taking over as the more effective location as opposed to the traditional “keep the ball down”. Hitters have changed their launch angles and thrown out that nonsense about “swinging down” on the ball. They’ve also gotten better at hitting low strike zone pitches. You’ll see MLB pitchers go high so much more now. No doubt it’s trickled down to the college ranks that feed the pro system.

Advertisement
Rafe’s numbers are an anomaly. I’ve never seen a pitcher which that high of a WHIP and that low of an ERA. Suggests he’s pitched poorly but has been very lucky.

Good to have both. Walters is still the man. His numbers are still great.

I think he just needs to mix his pitches more (which JT is doing) and spot the fastball better.

Opposing teams know its hard to hit Walters. They are ignoring everything accept his fastball. That's the only way they have a chance. They are frozen on his offspeed pitches. A few have timed up his fastball for HRs.

I would like to see him throw his curveball/slider a little more in strike 2 counts. His elevated fastball is still untouchable.

You think that is why we lost? One, Cyr did not have a good night at the plate. It was a defensive substitution. Dorian's only plate appearance he walked. You think Miami was planning on Walters blowing a lead in the bottom of the 9th?
1-4 with a walk doesn’t constitute a bad night at the plate either lol

Advertisement
1-4 with a walk doesn’t constitute a bad night at the plate either lol
Commenting on a game you did not watch...lol. I did not say he had a bad night at the plate. He was not a difference maker at any point. He had an untimely error.

The bottomline it was a defensive substition. Dorian walked in his only plate appearance. I doubt anybody envisioned Walters would give up a home run in the bottom of the nineth to a guy who had not hit one all season.

Last edited:
Thanks for commenting on a game you did not watch...lol. As I recall he hit into a double play. Also had an untimely error.

The bottomline it was a defensive substition. Dorian walked in his only plate appearance. I doubt anybody envisioned Walters would give up a home run in the bottom of the nineth to a guy who had not hit one all season.
The error has nothing to do with his offense. When you are in a tie game, you need at least one run to win by anyone’s math. Cyr has been the best player on the team generating runs. You also implied he had a bad day at the plate, which he really didn’t, and then suggested it was a good move to put Dorian in who hasn’t shown the ability to get that much needed run all season. Backing that up is the mountain of sabermetric data showing the trade off for defense in lieu of offense in that situation isn’t a good idea, especially at 2nd base.

another Gino special tonight. The guy is out of his mind with the matchups both on the mound and offensively.
It’s borderline criminal. First time in a long time I haven’t followed religiously. The issue is he’s doing just well enough to keep his job at the moment.

facing a desperate GTech team this weekend who needs at least 2. Their pitching is horrible but they can swing it a bit and play good Def.

Lets not make one of their starters look like an MLB ace.

Advertisement
Back