Miami Central LB Derrick Williams Awaits Offer, Talks Canes

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
2020 Miami Central LB Derrick Williams was in Coral Gables on Sunday visiting Miami. Williams doesn’t have a Miami offer yet, but the Canes are still actively recruiting him.

“So far today, they said they loved my film and size and said I have a good frame. Our conversations were so good, it’s almost like I had the offer.”

Williams visited Miami under the old staff, but he noticed some differences now that Manny Diaz is in charge.

“The new staff has a great feel. It was a good move on making Manny the head man in charge. Also, I started to make a good connection with the new defensive coordinator. This staff is more straight-forward, more focused on building relationships with the prospects and building bonds with the players and families.”

Florida, Purdue, Georgia Tech, and UCF are the schools recruiting Williams the hardest right now, but Miami is not far behind those schools.

“No leaders right now. My recruitment is still 100% open, but being a hometown kid, Miami has always been one of my dream schools.”

Williams gave us this as a final message.

“Maybe I’ll end up in orange and green.”

Advertisement
He seems like a rangy backer which is what it looks like we want to transition to. All love to shaq and pink but sometimes they're a half step too slow. Need just a little more speed at that level of defense to shut down all these spread formations that pick on the LBs.

Advertisement
He seems like a rangy backer which is what it looks like we want to transition to. All love to shaq and pink but sometimes they're a half step too slow. Need just a little more speed at that level of defense to shut down all these spread formations that pick on the LBs.

I don't see rangy with this kid it all. In fact that would be question mark on him...Looks like a stocky run-stuffer.

I don't see rangy with this kid it all. In fact that would be question mark on him...Looks like a stocky run-stuffer.
Ya you're right. He's more of a run guy. Just looked him up. He's 5'11...feel like he should be quicker than he is.

He was originally at Mater academy his Frosh year with guys who also went on to transfer to other schools like Jalen Harrell (who went to Central with him), Jamal Cooney (STA), Isiaiah Britt (Hialeah) & bunch others.

Kid is a good Mike LB, has good tackling ability, I think he'll end up a take as the season progresses depending on which LB's we have slotted ahead of him. We need depth at Mike backer with Shaq going into his Senior year.

He's a kid you keep in contact with throughout the year because things never go as planned with our top targets come crootin season lol.

Reminds me a little of the Williams kid from Norland this year.

Hes a very high Plan B kid.... I would see how the summer goes and if we feel the 2 or 3 Plan A kids are still wishy washy I lock him down and zero in on whoever from Plan A commits first

Id rather not get stuck with our stick in our hand like we did this Oline/QB/DB like this cycle

Advertisement
I hope I'm wrong, but if he ends up earning a scholarship, I would be willing to bet he would turnaround and come out with a top 12 the following day and be quoted about the advantages of playing for the $EC

What??? Pinkney was rated one of the best LBs in the country and #1 in the ACC when it comes to coverage. And Shaq has his best year ever so far

idk wtf yall be seeing or talking about

Reminds me a little of the Williams kid from Norland this year.
Darius is bigger at 6'0/1 215 with a frame to get much bigger in college while Derrick is only around 5'11. Darius was probably more explosive & versatile being able to play both OLB/ILB, but Derrick is more of a Mike.

We'll definitely have more LB's ranked higher than this kid, but he's still a prospect to continue evaluate throughout the year.

What??? Pinkney was rated one of the best LBs in the country and #1 in the ACC when it comes to coverage. And Shaq has his best year ever so far

idk wtf yall be seeing or talking about
Pink is definitely the more athletic of the two. But being ranked in the ACC for coverage is different than being ranked nationally. Feel what you're saying. But they schemed up the Striker position for a reason...

Advertisement
Darius is bigger at 6'0/1 215 with a frame to get much bigger in college while Derrick is only around 5'11. Darius was probably more explosive & versatile being able to play both OLB/ILB, but Derrick is more of a Mike.

We'll definitely have more LB's ranked higher than this kid, but he's still a prospect to continue evaluate throughout the year.

Yeah I agree he's worth watching...I couldn't have seen D.Williams outside though. Both players look like Mikes to me

Pink is definitely the more athletic of the two. But being ranked in the ACC for coverage is different than being ranked nationally. Feel what you're saying. But they schemed up the Striker position for a reason...

Yea because McCloud sucks in Coverage. The Striker plays opposite Pinkney so that is irrelevant.

Advertisement
I grew up In Miami Shores. The people that grow up there love Miami Central, Home of The Rockets. But the players that come out of Central and go to Miami always over achieve. I wanted to go to Central even though Turner Tech accepted me, my mom wasnt having it. Dont need to see his stats to know he will come in compete and play his heart out. RIP Bryan Pata

Yea because McCloud sucks in Coverage. The Striker plays opposite Pinkney so that is irrelevant.
not trying to argue with you. Just stating that Pink is athletic as an outside backer, has some speed but isn't as fast as a clemson/georgia/OSU guy. No need to get salty, same team bruh. Our backing core is good, not elite. We can't cover underneath. I don't need a linebacker ranking article from footballscoopbros.com to tell me otherwise. Just watch some tape.

not trying to argue with you. Just stating that Pink is athletic as an outside backer, has some speed but isn't as fast as a clemson/georgia/OSU guy. No need to get salty, same team bruh. Our backing core is good, not elite. We can't cover underneath. I don't need a linebacker ranking article from footballscoopbros.com to tell me otherwise. Just watch some tape.

Obviously they watched the tape also and think otherwise.

Advertisement
Back