Miami Central’s Dalvin Cook still weighing his options

PUNCICANE

All-ACC
Premium
Miami Central running back Dalvin Cook has been committed to UF since April, but is still weighing his options with UM and FSU coming on strong as of late.

BY SAFID DEEN
SDEEN@MIAMIHERALD.COM
Dalvin Cook has seen his former Miami Central teammate Devonta Freeman help Florida State earn a No. 1 ranking this season with the potential to play for a BCS National Championship.

Two of Cook’s closest friends whom he currently plays with, fellow running back Joseph Yearby and offensive lineman Trevor Darling, are committed to the University of Miami and joining him on an official visit to the school on Saturday and Sunday.

And then there’s the University of Florida, where Cook has been orally committed to since April, but is currently looking for an offensive coordinator after being decimated by injuries and finished this season ranked 113th out of 125 Football Bowl Subdivision schools in scoring.

Cook’s recruitment has become the most intriguing saga in high school football recruiting this season in Florida. Despite being committed to UF, Cook has remained open to the courting from schools around the country — and it has gotten even more hectic with his plans to enroll in school in January.

Cook, rated the second-best running back in the nation by 247Sports, is down to three and would like to make a final decision on where to play college football after Central’s Class 6A state title game against Seffner Armwood next Saturday in Orlando. The spring 2014 semester begins on Jan. 6 at UF and FSU, while UM begins classes on Jan. 13.

“I’m just trying to weigh my options right now,” Cook said after Central’s win over Daytona Beach Mainland on Friday at Traz Powell Stadium. “I’m just trying to see where I fit in at and see where my heart is really at, and see the coaches I’m really comfortable with.

“Florida is my school. That’s what I always tell people: I’m always still committed to Florida. I ain’t never decommit because Florida is still in my heart right now. I’m still a Gator and that’s my school.”

In recent weeks, it seemed like the Gators have fell behind significantly for Cook’s services thanks to the full-court presses he has received from the FSU and UM.

The Seminoles have an offense in place with a familiar face in Freeman to share the backfield, and the allure of playing with Heisman Trophy favorite Jameis Winston for at least a season. On the other hand, the Hurricanes are on the rise after its run in with the NCAA, equipped with a 2014 recruiting class that could be one of UM’s best ever, and familiar faces like Yearby, Darling and brother Deandre Burnett, who plays on the UM basketball team.

In the past week, Cook has signed financial grant-in-aid applications with UM, FSU and UF, guaranteeing a fulfilled scholarship without the binding nature National Letters of Intent provide. The applications, however, allow those schools to have unlimited contact with a player, and college coaches may publicly discuss said player with media.

Cook had in-home visits with coaches from UM, UF, and LSU last week, and plans to meet with coaches from UM, UF, FSU, Texas and Arkansas this week.

As things are heating up and becoming more confusing for Cook, he’s trying to enjoy the recruiting process for the time being before figuring out where his heart truly lies and making a decision.

“I’m going to sit down with my parents and some of my teammates and we’re going to have a big discussion,” Cook said, naming Yearby, Darling, senior cornerback and USF commit Deatrick Nichols, and junior wide receiver and UF commit Da’Vante Phillips. Phillips plans on attending the same school as Cook.

“I’m just going to talk it over with them and we’re going to see.”

In the meantime, Cook hopes to enjoy his official visit to UM, spending time with the current players, observing practice, seeing his brother and experiencing the UM campus.

But come decision time, Cook knows he will have undying support from family members and his proclaimed brothers in Yearby, Darling, Freeman and Homestead wide receiver and UF commit Ermon Lane even though they may not agree with the school he attends.

“I’m really not [disappointing anyone] because ain’t nobody going to be in the dorm [with me] or at practice,” Cook said. “I’m not really disappointing [anybody]. I’m going to be disappointing myself if I make a bad choice.

“I just want to really make sure I’m making the right choice for me,” Cook reiterated. “And these next 3-4 years are going to decide the next 40 years of my life so I just want to really make sure that’s the right choice so I’m really going to make my decision and say it’s final.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/...=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
A big discussion with teammates can't hurt us. 2 of them are our strongest commits and Phillips doesn't seem strong in his commitment to Florida

Reading this I think that this is a very tough decision for him thats tearing him apart. I actually feel bad for the kid because unless he's trolling he really seems like this decision will come down to maybe the day he announces

A big discussion with teammates can't hurt us. 2 of them are our strongest commits and Phillips doesn't seem strong in his commitment to Florida

True but honestly it seems like he's looking out for himself in the end and not following anybody and I dont think that Yearby and Darling would push UM too much if they know their boy is really stressing over his decision. Thats their boy no matter what so they'll support him regardless

True but honestly it seems like he's looking out for himself in the end and not following anybody and I dont think that Yearby and Darling would push UM too much if they know their boy is really stressing over his decision. Thats their boy no matter what so they'll support him regardless

It's not about following anybody, it's about having a bond with people and realizing playing with them will be better than playing against them. Like with Tracy Howard on his OV with Malcolm Lewis, duke, deon, etc

Advertisement

It's not about following anybody, it's about having a bond with people and realizing playing with them will be better than playing against them. Like with Tracy Howard on his OV with Malcolm Lewis, duke, deon, etc

and putting yourself in a position to succeed from a statistical standpoint as well.. Which is why it will be us or FSU. Cant see him picking UF at all

Tbh, the only bad choice he can make is UF. Miami and fsu have been recruiting well on the o line, and will continue to produce on that side of the ball. He's a special talent, and if he stays healthy he's going to be a 1st rounder 1 day. So why not stay home and do it for the local team?

Smart kid. Well thought out. We NEED players like that... Sounds like he has the talent and brains...

He could be one of those players that changes a program around. Definately a home run hitter...

I've been to some of his games and he is really really fun to watch. I hope I can see a bunch more while he is wearing
The orange and Green!!!

I understand but Tracy had hard UM ties just like Cook and there was a family vibe too but when I look at Cook and see that he's flipped once and looks like he will again he is putting more pressure on himself this time and we have no idea what he'll choose. Sure he sees the obvious with UM but it is his choice and reading this made me think its about what school he wants to be at and not about the people around him really

Advertisement
Personally I think he picks UM but if this choice is really trhat hard for him im feeling bad because this is the biggest decision of his life that is being watched by many people and you know that theres at least a little pressure to stay home

Man he didn't even finish his visit with us. He went home with "the flu."

Sounds like it was just a courtesy visit to me. Kind of like that cat last year who slept in.

Yea this took me step back we think he knows but he doesnt even know. on one hand we want him to be a "put on for your city" type kid but he knows he will be successful wherever he goes with people pulling him in each direction

Advertisement

Sounds like it was just a courtesy visit to me. Kind of like that cat last year who slept in.

dang kid cant get a cold? he ran last night for 73 yard against a weak D obv something was wrong

dang kid cant get a cold? he ran last night for 73 yard against a weak D obv something was wrong

Mainland doesn't have a weak D.

Advertisement

Mainland doesn't have a weak D.

i dont mean weak as in not good at all but not even booker t D could hold cook to 73 on a average day

Sounds like a kid who's feeling the home town pressure and doesn't want to say "no," but would rather not be here.

Sounds like a kid who's feeling the home town pressure and doesn't want to say "no," but would rather not be here.

incorrect, he's on campus. Took a zpack, feeling much better

Advertisement
Back