Miami-Cal 1990...

Advertisement
I really enjoy watching some of these old games. However I just want to say this, that was 31 years ago, now that in itself is fine, but that is like in 1990 some Texas bum posting some game that happened in 1959.

I was 15 in 1990 so something that happened in 1959 I really didnt care about. I'm really not sure what I am trying to say other than

I am getting old. That's all.

I really enjoy watching some of these old games. However I just want to say this, that was 31 years ago, now that in itself is fine, but that is like in 1990 some Texas bum posting some game that happened in 1959.

I was 15 in 1990 so something that happened in 1959 I really didnt care about. I'm really not sure what I am trying to say other than

I am getting old. That's all.

that's a terrible comparison, c'mon. There wasnt even Youtube in 1990!!

Advertisement
Erickson was a good qb - he just never proved to be on the level of the guys he followed Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, and Walsh.

That and everyone has him behind that group and Dorsey as well. So I'm not really sure how he's overrated in our all time best QB lists.

I also never bought into the long grass thing and feel it's more mental than anything. If you're fast, you're still going to be faster no matter the surface.

From like 86 all the way to the 93 Sugar Bowl, Miami rarely lost. And when they did, they were generally VERY close, excruciating losses

When they got blown out by Bama, it just kinda felt like the end of that dynasty
Probably the reason I’m a UM fan was that they were really hitting their peak right about the time when I really started to get into football. Those late 80’s/early 90’s teams lost so rarely that every time it happened, I was legitimately shocked. I remember taking the bus to 6th grade and all everyone was talking about was how the **** could Miami lose to BYU. We didn’t even know who they were.

Advertisement
That and everyone has him behind that group and Dorsey as well. So I'm not really sure how he's overrated in our all time best QB lists.

I also never bought into the long grass thing and feel it's more mental than anything. If you're fast, you're still going to be faster no matter the surface.
Erickson was the qb who followed directly behind that group. The reality is he ended the string of UM first rd qbs. Safe to say fans expected more considering his profile grew bigger after all the talk about him being the chief reason Jeff George changed his mind.

Erickson really? I'm about as diehard as they come (well at least until the mid 2000's when for my sanity I half checked out) and I never once thought he was overrated. I went to almost every home game in 1989 and 1990 (except for ND of course, just being honest) and he lit up so many teams. He had some of the greatest games in UM history. Oh and he helped destroy ND and lead us to the NC clinching Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama essentially on the road, relatively comfortably.

I've heard Mike Barrow talk about that BYU game, and he claims that he could not see his cleats because the grass was so long.

Look at Detmer's front foot. Chess.

1630336963947.png

Erickson was a good qb - he just never proved to be on the level of the guys he followed Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, and Walsh.

IIRC, after his senior year, he injured his knee in one of the all-star games. I think it was the one that used to be in Hawaii, that really dropped his stock. To his credit, he still put up an NFL career

I really think the change in system, not having Gary Stevens as his coach, etc, hurt him a bit

Advertisement
I dont disgree, 88 ND was talented, but many of their standouts were really young. The following two seasons they were more mature and added some more strong recruiting classes

that 89 Miami - ND on Thanksgiving weekend was like Ali-Frazier to me. Still in my Mt Rushmore of Hurricane victories
Remember how loud it was?

I grew up with Craig, he always said he would be the QB at the U, even when we were little

Remember how loud it was?

I grew up with Craig, he always said he would be the QB at the U, even when we were little

Honestly, if there was one UM game I could go into a Hot Tub Time Machine to attend -- it would be that one. That was an electric night, I know people that were there. They are still in awe of that evening. I could feel the energy all the way through my TV while in Los Angeles

As for Craig, I truly think under the tutelage of Gary Stevens he would've been even better than he was. But he still won a national title and was the MVP of two bowl games. He had a great career...

I do feel good that I went to almost every home game in the '89 and '91 championship seasons as well as the 2001 Syracuse and Washington games. But that '89 ND game, I didn't go to. I remember watching I think at my grandmother's house. She passed away three years ago. And I couldn't believe how loud the crowd was. It was almost like I didn't realize how loud the OB could be. I remember joking to myself, oh so I go to the 4 home games before but not the ND game. I missed the '92 and '94 FSU games too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IIRC, we were up 10-0 on Notre Dame before the Rocket housed it. That loss(which ended the series) still hurts...
Miami was not at full strength for the Irish game. Miami was missing 7 starters for the ND game due to injury and suspension.

Miami got off to a good start in the ND. They were up 7-0 and had 1st and goal inside Notre Dame's 5. But they couldn't punch it in and when they settled for the FG, you had a feeling it wasn't going to be their day.

The BYU game was different. Miami was healthy for that game.

But Norm Chow had a great gameplan of rollouts away from Miami's D. And Ty Detmer had one of the greatest performances against a top notch D in college football history. He was incredible that day.

But the biggest takeaway was Miami's offense was rusty and had an off night. They were up 21-13 with about 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter and they kept stepping on their own ****s for the rest of the game. And BYU's D was not great at all. It was shocking they couldn't muster more points. Although I recall with about 7 minutes left there was a **** call where a BYU defender intercepted Erickson in the endzone where he clearly dropped the ball.

One of the announcers said the BYU Miami game one of best games they ever called. But Miami had a no business losing that game. The talent disparity between the two teams was staggering. Miami's 90 team was right up there with '86 and '02 as one of the best teams in college football history not to win a NC.

Miami was not at full strength for the Irish game. Miami was missing 7 starters for the ND game due to injury and suspension.

Miami got off to a good start in the ND. They were up 7-0 and had 1st and goal inside Notre Dame's 5. But they couldn't punch it in and when they settled for the FG, you had a feeling it wasn't going to be their day.

The BYU game was different. Miami was healthy for that game.

But Norm Chow had a great gameplan of rollouts away from Miami's D. And Ty Detmer had one of the greatest performances against a top notch D in college football history. He was incredible that day.

But the biggest takeaway was Miami's offense was rusty and had an off night. They were up 21-13 with about 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter and they kept stepping on their own ****s for the rest of the game. And BYU's D was not great at all. It was shocking they couldn't muster more points. Although I recall with about 7 minutes left there was a **** call where a BYU defender intercepted Erickson in the endzone where he clearly dropped the ball.

One of the announcers said the BYU Miami game one of best games they ever called. But Miami had a no business losing that game. The talent disparity between the two teams was staggering. Miami's 90 team was right up there with '86 and '02 as one of the best teams in college football history not to win a NC.
that 90 team also had a near-loss to San Diego St(my first UM game in person, great experience)

Those Erickson teams were always a bit sloppy

It was actually a surreal moment for me seeing the orange and green live at Jack Murphy Stadium. Miami warm-ups were crazy with all the trash talk and taunting they would do. They really were showmen back then. Great brawl at the end too

I was a little worried after the SDSU game going into the Cotton Bowl against Texas. I remember watching the 1989 Wisconsin game. I was so excited for the season to start. And Wisconsin got a field goal on the first drive. I was a little worried. Of course we ended up scoring the next 51 points.

Advertisement
Back