Miami basketball needs a "Midnight Madness" basketball event for recruiting purposes.

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

It is time for Canes Hoops to take the next step and have a "Midnight Madness" type of recruiting event. Yes, they still call it "Midnight Madness" when most of the events start at 7 pm. Call it what you like, just have a free admission event for the fans. Given that Minnesota and Nebraska had one this season, that eliminates the only blood bloods hold these events theory. Nor do you need a great basketball tradition as Minnesota and Nebraska have about the same amount of basketball tradition as Miami.

If Miami were to have one of these events, it should occur on the weekend the football team has a home game. Playing Florida State would be perfect next season. Heck, Carolina is playing Clemson this weekend so obviously, the opponent nor winning the football game matters, to them. LOL. It would be a free admission event where fans could get an up close look at the men's and women's basketball team. Both teams could participate in a skills competition, 3 point shootout and dunk contest. Each player picks one event based on their skillset. Then the fans should see both the men's and women's team have an intra squad scrimmage. A mix of 1st team vs 2nd team but definitely not men vs women. Of course, both teams would definitely need to have a full allotment of scholarship players and of course, health is a factor. This would be a hit with fans. Why? Because it's free. Free sells.

It could be a great recruiting weekend for all Fall sports as it woud be a great way for high school juniors and seniors to see Miami and its fans under the lights of the Watsco Center.

Advertisement
I think we used to have one, some decades back. I'd be worried these days about being embarrassed by a low turnout. What if only 1000 (or less) showed up ...

Advertisement

TAYLOR
HENDRICKS

6'8" | 195 LBS | PF
UNIVERSITY SCHOOL
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
CLASS OF 2022
UNDECIDED

Hendricks has vastly improved since last fall and it showed. He looks more confident, bigger, a bit quicker and much more refined from 20-feet and in. Hendricks still does have to improve in a few areas, but his upside is clearly evident.
Hendricks has already received offers from Florida, Florida State and Miami, and is set to visit the Hurricanes on Oct. 11. Look for all three in-state powers to do their best to keep him in their state as Hendricks is on the direct path towards a high-level recruitment in the coming years.

If Miami had an aforementioned recruiting event this weekend, he would be on campus with Andre Curbelo getting a full Canes experience.

Advertisement

**Kansas will host a number of recruits this weekend (Oct. 4) for “Late Night in the Phog,” including 2020’s Isaiah Todd, KK Robinson, Davion Bradford and 2021’s Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Kennedy Chandler, Kendall Brown, Roosevelt Wheeler, Tamar Bates. JUCO prospect Marial Mading, as well as 2021’s Mark Mitchell and Gradey **** will also be in attendance.

**Bryce Thompson, the 6-foot-5 combo guard from Booker T. Washington (OK), will visit Kansas this weekend (Oct. 5). He will not be in attendance for Late Night in the Phog.

**Memphis will host Memphis Madness this weekend (Oct. 3), with a number of recruits in attendance, including 2020’s Jalen Green and Chris Moore, and 2021’s Devin Askew and Mason Miller.

Green, the 6-foot-5 combo guard from Prolific Prep (CA), visits Memphis this weekend (Oct. 2-5) for his third official visit. Green, who plans to commit on December 25, has visited Oregon (Sept. 13) and Auburn (Sept. 27).

This is the blueprint Miami should follow in setting up a recruiting weekend of events.

For what? So recruits can see that this fanbase blows and doesn't support the program, even when times are great? Miami can't even get people to come out to GAMES on a consistent basis. I'm not even talking about crappy OOC games, I'm talking about conference games against decent programs. Instead of blowing money on a glorified hype fest, take that money and pour it into additional staff and resources. Let's make sure we have more muscle on the AAU circuit, so we can spot late bloomers and whatnot. That would do more for this program than sitting around entertaining 300 people with a glorified practice. Ever notice that most of the schools that do it, and it's successful are in the middle of NOWHERE? I lived in Tucson for a couple of years, their event was a social event, because it's freaking Tucson and there's nothing and I mean nothing to do.

Sometimes it's better NOT to give recruits a point of comparison, if you are not sure you'll look good. Can you imagine being at "Late Night At The Phog" with a howling, sold out arena, then doing the same sort of event at the BUC with several hundred fans rattling around the place? Sort of counterproductive. If we could counter with a FULL BUC, that would be a wholly different equation.

Sometimes it's better NOT to give recruits a point of comparison, if you are not sure you'll look good. Can you imagine being at "Late Night At The Phog" with a howling, sold out arena, then doing the same sort of event at the BUC with several hundred fans rattling around the place? Sort of counterproductive. If we could counter with a FULL BUC, that would be a wholly different equation.

Living in North Carolina, I have been to Late Night with Roy. It is a free event except for concessions. Yes, free parking and admission. I agree that a half full arena is not a good look but that word free is powerfull. I think it could work with the right marketing, especially if you have it the weekend of the Florida State home game then it could work.

Advertisement
Living in North Carolina, I have been to Late Night with Roy. It is a free event except for concessions. Yes, free parking and admission. I agree that a half full arena is not a good look but that word free is powerfull. I think it could work with the right marketing, especially if you have it the weekend of the Florida State home game then it could work.
Think you're optimistic you could get a half full arena for a promotion event, even if it is free. I'm not sure you could get 4000 people if you offered to give THEM a $10 bill at the door and free food.

Think you're optimistic you could get a half full arena for a promotion event, even if it is free. I'm not sure you could get 4000 people if you offered to give THEM a $10 bill at the door and free food.

Wow, if that is the case. Miami needs to market itself to a younger crowd. The biggest problem is years of poor interaction with the community and a poor job of building the Miami brand across the state. It fascinated me that they have not figured out how to fill that arena up on a consistent basis.

Everyone is not laying on the beach or in the club every day?

Wow, if that is the case. Miami needs to market itself to a younger crowd. The biggest problem is years of poor interaction with the community and a poor job of building the Miami brand across the state. It fascinated me that they have not figured out how to fill that arena up on a consistent basis.

Everyone is not laying on the beach or in the club every day?
You're from NC, not from Miami, that explains it.

Advertisement
Miami, the town and area, has come a LONG way with hoops since I was at UM in the mid-60s. Back then, many of the large high schools didn't even have indoor gyms (they played their games at schools that did, like Edison). That tells you how important HS basketball was back then. UM, itself, played their games over at the Miami Beach Convention Hall (terrible sight lines), or later, at Miami-Dade Community C.ollege.

For actual games (not promotions like Midnight Madness), I do think UM could step up the promotions with local businesses (they once had vouchers for the more unattractive games with Publix; maybe a ticket cost a couple bucks?). But that would fly in the face of the "sold out for the season" claim.

Anyone see the Snoop Dogg performance that wound up the "Late Night At The Phog" promotion at Kansas? Bill Self and the KU administration are aghast at his raunchy, explicit show with pole dancers, his Money Gun shooting money with his pic on it into the crowd, etc.

They didn't even need this "aftershow" to fill the place up. Think Blake James could give Snoop a call, or Drake, or whomever? Now, THAT would fill up the BUC for a late night UM basketball "open the season" event I'd bet!

Anyone see the Snoop Dogg performance that wound up the "Late Night At The Phog" promotion at Kansas? Bill Self and the KU administration are aghast at his raunchy, explicit show with pole dancers, his Money Gun shooting money with his pic on it into the crowd, etc.

They didn't even need this "aftershow" to fill the place up. Think Blake James could give Snoop a call, or Drake, or whomever? Now, THAT would fill up the BUC for a late night UM basketball "open the season" event I'd bet!

I would not advise any school to bring Snoop Dogg to this type of event. I blame Kansas for this. When you pay for Snoop, you get Snoop.

A free admission and parking event for the fans with player intros (mens and womens), dunk contest, 3 point contest and live scrimmages (mens and womens) are more than enough.

If Rick Ross or Uncle Luke attend then great but I would not advise Miami to pay them to perform.

Advertisement
Back