Miami Baseball Team Batting and ERA Rankings (cringe)

Appreciate the reply. I guess to me the things you mentioned (knowing counts, adjusting approach based on situation, etc) are also basic and taught at a young age. I get maybe a guy or two struggling with this kind of stuff but how can we have a team that almost to a man are below average in these areas.

Unfortunately, those things are not taught at a young age anymore. Today, your coach is your dad, and all he's worried about is getting videos of you to post on Facebook. You have to hope that your high school coach isn't a travel ball sellout and that he will actually teach the game.

Advertisement
That and guys like Toral, Morales, ADC, etc never had to "learn", they just outtalented other kids. That don't cut when the pitchers are on the hitters level skill wise and know how to work a batter (see BVB last year), not just throw the ball (see Slade last year and Mederos this year)

Yep, and you could see the difference in baseball savvy on that ridiculous double play on the fly ball. Pitt's guys knew the situation. Our guy took off from second because in 16U they don't cut that ball.

Yep, and you could see the difference in baseball savvy on that ridiculous double play on the fly ball. Pitt's guys knew the situation. Our guy took off from second because in 16U they don't cut that ball.
Another weekend of watching far less talented Northeastern kids take us to school in every facet of the game. Starting to get real old over the years

I see a few things wrong:

1) Other than Gabe Rivera, it looks like the bulk of our guys bypass the weight room far too often. We don't look like a D1 team S&C-wise except for very few guys on the roster.

2) As a team, we tend to let the game play out too much instead of taking opportunities. We're waiting on that "Mark Light Magic" in late innings, even on the road. Play like you're behind ALL THE TIME, and pour it on when the opportunities arise. Don't rely on getting into late innings and having to rely on one guy getting a hit or making a pitch.

3) It also seems like we have guys who are so AAU camps regimented that they don't have an personality to their game. They do it right, or they don't do it at all. They have to have a perfect ball hit their way to field it properly, or a perfect pitch that matches their curated swing. We don't really have any "dirtbag" style of guys who can find ways to make plays when things don't go perfectly.

4) Everyone has touched on the coaching. I think in some ways, we're over-coached as far as positioning in the field, and JD calling all of the pitches. In other ways, I think we're under-coached as far as approaches at the plate and knowing when to pull a pitcher. Also - all of these running errors we've seen have been with Gino at 3B. He's an active part of it, and needs to put his foot down about it. No need to punish aggressive running and trying to make a play, just make sure everyone knows certain rules of thumb, and to pay closer attention to your base coaches.

5) We have too many guys either regressing or not progressing in their development. That's worrisome, and is squarely on the shoulders of the staff and the culture of the program.

6) *THIS IS THE MOST WORRISOME PART* - All of these things above aren't just "this season" deals. We've been seeing these issues since before Morris left, and DiMare has done certain things a little better, but it seems like he's kept the same culture and approaches in place. That's not good, and the results have bore that out...and there's no hope for things to fundamentally change anytime soon.

Advertisement
LOSE THE STUPID F'ING WRIST BAND!!!!!!!!!! If anything says Pee Wee baseball it's the **** pitcher looking at that stupid band every pitch. I hate it.

I agree BWCD, we are a very "unathletic" baseball team, part of why we can't steal and run the bases so bad.
Given Lala hasn’t been able to get on as of late, we have to be sitting around 10-15 stolen bags on the year total right? Pitelli has one or two but I can’t think of another guy stealing a bag outside of Lala

I see a few things wrong:

1) Other than Gabe Rivera, it looks like the bulk of our guys bypass the weight room far too often. We don't look like a D1 team S&C-wise except for very few guys on the roster.
Making the trainer the new S&C coach doesn’t seem to be panning out as the world’s greatest decision.

Advertisement
There are really only two things I gripe about the coaching staff. They wait too long to make pitching changes. Sunday's game was indicative of their decision making as I commented Smith had been hit hard by all four batters in his last inning even though two of them were outs. I would have made a change after the 3rd hard hit ball. They made the change 2 batter too late after Pitt had tied the game. If they made the change sooner and got out of the inning with no runs, the perhaps there's a different outcome.

Secondly, I don't like the hitting approach. I've been watching for several years and it's obvious that the approach is to take a lot of pitches and force the pitcher to throw you fastballs. Well, that only works against inferior pitching that we see during the midweek games. Miami takes pitches and gets into favorable hitting counts. During ACC games, the pitchers are sharper and throw strikes. They know Miami takes a lot of pitches so they'll fire a 0-0 fastball or get-me-over curveball for strike 1 because we're not swinging either way. I get so upset watching the let hanging curveballs go for strikes without offering a swing. You are not going to get a better pitch to hit with 2 strikes than you did with one or not strikes. Look how Pitt was aggressive in the strike zone against us. It didn't matter what the pitch was. If it's a good pitch to hit within the strike zone then they swung. The team needs to be a lot more aggressive early in the count. That's what I would change if I'm the hitting coach.
Bingo. Look for the pitch you want early in the count, and if you get It....hit it hard. I hate the approach of sitting around waiting for ACC pitchers to walk you. Most of them don't. Yet this failed plate approach goes way way back into the Morris tenure.

That’s wild. I posted similar numbers a month ago and was told it didn’t matter bc we were better than that and the sample size was too small.

Kinda sad that guy is no longer around to see how wrong he was. Again.
The aquinasstat guy? If you were negative, he agreed with you.

Advertisement
Bingo. Look for the pitch you want early in the count, and if you get It....hit it hard. I hate the approach of sitting around waiting for ACC pitchers to walk you. Most of them don't. Yet this failed plate approach goes way way back into the Morris tenure.
That "it always seems like we start 0-2" thing?

Advertisement
Back