CanesHoopsman

Make Shots Get Stops
Premium
UVA is 12-0 at Home and on a 6 game winning streak

UVA is also 331st in FT % at 65%

They only give up 57 ppg

Let’s put 80 on them fellas.

Advertisement
Miami vs Virginia is always close. This will be a "White Out" game so look for a lively crowd. Virginia is on a 6-game win streak and 22 at home. 70 points are key as Virginia has held 47 straight ACC teams under that at home. Virginia doesn't have an offense that will be able to run away with the game. Miami will be in it throughout, we will see if they can make a run and minimize the cold streak that they've had in every game lately.

Miami vs Virginia is always close. This will be a "White Out" game so look for a lively crowd. Virginia is on a 6-game win streak and 22 at home. 70 points are key as Virginia has held 47 straight ACC teams under that at home. Virginia doesn't have an offense that will be able to run away with the game. Miami will be in it throughout, we will see if they can make a run and minimize the cold streak that they've had in every game lately.
An 6-8 point deficit against UVA will feel like 15+. They take the air out of the ball tend to get into their sets late in the shot clock. Absolutely have to stay disciplined defensively because they will lull you to sleep otherwise. That said, they are shooting an anemic 65% from the FT line as a team, which is off brand for them historically.

They're more undersized than in recent years as well, with Ryan Dunn, their best big, going about 6'8. Jacob Groves is more of a stretch forward and doesn't rebound much at 6'9, but is shooting about 50% from three. My guess is we stick Cleveland on him given his propensity to live more on the parameter. Reece Beekman is back for what seems like his 8th year of college ball and leads them in scoring, but at only a hair under 14 ppg. They aren't particularly deep either.

This is a winnable game if we can speed them up and turn this into a track meet.

Last edited:
Need to shoot the ball well from 3 to win this game. I would set the number at around 9 three point makes if not more.

Their pack line defense is tough on the dribble drive they collapse, and the ball handler in the paint, and swipe the ball. The refs tend to let UVA play really handsy on defense. They do a lot of back motion screens to free shooters coming off the baseline, IMO borderline moving screens that don't get called ha.

If we are not making shots, we can't win. This is a game where all the "shotmakers" we have need to shoot it well. Pack, Wooga, Cleveland, George

An 6-8 point deficit against UVA will feel like 15+. They take the air out of the ball tend to get into their sets late in the shot clock. Absolutely have to stay disciplined defensively because they will lull you to sleep otherwise. That said, they are shooting an anemic 65% from the FT line as a team, which is off brand for them historically.

They're more undersized than in recent years as well, with Ryan Dunn, their best big, going about 6'8. Jacob Groves is more of a stretch forward and doesn't rebound much at 6'9, but is shooting about 50% from three. My guess is we stick Cleveland on him given his propensity to live more on the parameter. Reece Beekman is back for what seems like his 8th year of college ball and leads them in scoring, but at only a hair under 14 ppg. They aren't particularly deep either.

This is a winnable game if we can speed them up and turn this into a track meet.
I was with you until the end.

NO ONE speeds up Virginia. They haven't played a game with 70 possessions since January 2021. That's not going to happen tonight.

We will need to win a slower-paced game than we'd like.

Advertisement
I was with you until the end.

NO ONE speeds up Virginia. They haven't played a game with 70 possessions since January 2021. That's not going to happen tonight.

We will need to win a slower-paced game than we'd like.
Well that's why I said winnable 'if'. There's a reason they have 5 total losses this year.

Wooga needs to wake the **** up, when he plays like a dog everyone else plays at such a high level. He flashes it but that injury or something mentally has derailed his game. The grit and determination to dribble drive kick or score is all but lost. He is thinking too much instead of just balling out and unfortunately that goes for the majority of this team.

With no force in the paint, we must hit threes consistently and win at the foul line .

If weak in any of these two , not good , this would be a monster win if FOCUSED

GOCANES

Advertisement
Wooga needs to wake the **** up, when he plays like a dog everyone else plays at such a high level. He flashes it but that injury or something mentally has derailed his game. The grit and determination to dribble drive kick or score is all but lost. He is thinking too much instead of just balling out and unfortunately that goes for the majority of this team.
It's really hard to be an effective shot creator when you struggle to put the ball on the deck. His ball handling is Jalen Brown-level bad.

No Ted Valentine or Jamie Luckie will help, a lot.
Honestly I’d worry a little bit about Roger… can’t say I’ve seen it play out but the fact that his daughter went to UVA makes it hard for me to imagine there isn’t a little bias there.

That said honestly I’d go into the game expecting we’re gonna have to outplay the officiating because UVA is likely gonna get a good whistle whomever is blowing it.

He is a shadow of the player he was before turning that ankle. Players all react differently to nagging injuries. For many, not getting reinjured gets in their head.

As L said after the VT win, he needs to "get Wooga going." He's our most talented perimeter player but is just not playing anywhere near his optimum.

Advertisement
No Ted Valentine or Jamie Luckie will help, a lot.
Hopefully they went out for a long dinner and won't make it back by gametime... (scane)
1707164076945.png

Honestly I’d worry a little bit about Roger… can’t say I’ve seen it play out but the fact that his daughter went to UVA makes it hard for me to imagine there isn’t a little bias there.

That said honestly I’d go into the game expecting we’re gonna have to outplay the officiating because UVA is likely gonna get a good whistle whomever is blowing it.
Yet another cringe factor. The officiating in this conference absolutely blows or let's us it has its certain favorites.

We find out pretty quickly if they are taking Omier out early.

I was watching the ladies against UNC the other day and you could tell Katie was losing her mind.

Advertisement
This is a game we can steal if we don't turn the ball over. I'd like to see George on McKeely. Cleveland has to match Dunn on the boards. I don't think UVA has an answer for Omier packline defense or not.

Last edited:
Feels like a must win if miami has any hopes of getting back into the tourney convo. Win this one and somehow take down UNC at home and I imagine starts getting back into people's minds as the legit threat many thought they'd be

Advertisement
Back