Coaching Miami’s 2022 football staff

Yes. That's actually a legit amount of reps in this era of CFB. Look at what young QB's have done around the better programs. Who won the Heisman this year? How much experience did he have? Not really concerned with the Heisman, but he will play well enough to be mentioned for it, especially if we beat either TAMU or Clemson.

He is physically mature, and has thrown for almost 3000 yards already, with 25 TD's and only 6 INTs with a 62.5% CP after being thrust into the QB1 role after only getting QB2 and QB3 reps heading into the season.

TVD is LEGIT. Mario called him (certainly with a bit of marketing-motivated hyperbole) the best QB in the country. He is going to have a better OL this coming season, QB1 reps all spring and summer, and better coaching. I guarantee you Gattis is going to make the offense very QB friendly to take advantage of his skills.

I don't think a lot of people on this board really processed how well he played game after game last season. The numbers he put up, his accuracy and how clutch he was. He has a chance to be one of the very best guys who ever came through UM, and we know how high praise that is.

If I had to make an even money bet I'd lean towards this being his last season at Miami with him being a high NFL Draft pick next year. I hope he stays and goes out a legend.

The question was whether it was a fair expectation, not whether TVD is a legit talent at QB or whether him having a Heisman-type season is possible. Only a buffoon or the mopiest of mopes or someone who doesn't watch college football at all would argue TVD is not a legitimately talented QB. Other than the first half of the Forfeit State game, he had as good a six-game stretch from a QB as we have seen at UM in a very long time (maybe ever). And gun to my head, I'd bet he's First Team All-ACC next season so long as he stays healthy (knocking on wood as I type this).

When people on this board are posting that "[t]he expectation for TVD is to be a Heisman candidate," I consider that an unfair expectation for a RS So. QB w/ 9 starts. Regardless of how great he played in those games (especially late). But I guess that's just what most fans do...

Although I fully believe TVD is capable of being a Heisman finalist next season, it is not my expectation. I'd much rather be satisfied that we have a real one at QB, enjoy watching him on the field next season, and worry about what (if any) hardware he's earned and whether he's coming back for another season when the 2022 season is over.

Advertisement
The question was whether it was a fair expectation, not whether TVD is a legit talent at QB or whether him having a Heisman-type season is possible. Only a buffoon or the mopiest of mopes or someone who doesn't watch college football at all would argue TVD is not a legitimately talented QB. Other than the first half of the Forfeit State game, he had as good a six-game stretch from a QB as we have seen at UM in a very long time (maybe ever). And gun to my head, I'd bet he's First Team All-ACC next season so long as he stays healthy (knocking on wood as I type this).

When people on this board are posting that "[t]he expectation for TVD is to be a Heisman candidate," I consider that an unfair expectation for a RS So. QB w/ 9 starts. Regardless of how great he played in those games (especially late). But I guess that's just what most fans do...

Although I fully believe TVD is capable of being a Heisman finalist next season, it is not my expectation. I'd much rather be satisfied that we have a real one at QB, enjoy watching him on the field next season, and worry about what (if any) hardware he's earned and whether he's coming back for another season when the 2022 season is over.
There’s a difference between being a Heisman candidate and a Heisman finalist i.e., Spencer Rattler. TVD will be on every media’s watch list for Heisman and other QB awards watch list going into 2022 season. My expectations for TVD is that he will be a candidate for those awards.

There’s a difference between being a Heisman candidate and a Heisman finalist i.e., Spencer Rattler. TVD will be on every media’s watch list for Heisman and other QB awards watch list going into 2022 season. My expectations for TVD is that he will be a candidate for those awards.
Big question right now. Who is the QB coach?

Did Travis Williams suck at UCF or get demoted? Shocked he would come back
What's going on w/T-Will? Funny how the general feel around CIS/Cane Nation is that TWill cannot be trusted....BUT....our own HC did the same thing just a few years back.

(Even though many would argue, myself included, that coming back as HC is very different than accepting a asst role and then bolting.....I would say it isn't apples to apples, but it is apples to oranges, still a fruit nonetheless....so yeah, he can't be trusted lol)

Advertisement
What's going on w/T-Will? Funny how the general feel around CIS/Cane Nation is that TWill cannot be trusted....BUT....our own HC did the same thing just a few years back.

(Even though many would argue, myself included, that coming back as HC is very different than accepting a asst role and then bolting.....I would say it isn't apples to apples, but it is apples to oranges, still a fruit nonetheless....so yeah, he can't be trusted lol)
someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Travis williams' name cup here only because gaby or someone in the media mistakenly said t will instead of christian robinson (who they meant) which is the LB coach at auburn

I’d doubt that happens with Travis. Just wouldn’t make sense to me. Plus Ucf will be big 12 soon so it’ll be a money bump soon most
Likely
I mean he's in the PERFECT situation where he's at now. Gets to learn on the job as DC with semi-low expectations and has a very good recruiting territory that's able to grab all the fruit left behind that UM-UF-FSU can't take on....which is MORE THAN ENOUGH to annually be in the AAC conference title conversation. Top 4 there are Cincy-Houston-UCF and soon to be SMU so there's a solid level of resistance there to keep him sharp so its not too easy.

Not to mention that UCF just won its 2nd National Championship in 2021 by way of defeating the Gators!!!! What more can you ask for!

I used the expression (and this was way back during the season I believe) to expect him to be "in the Hesiman conversation." He already is, actually.

Ok let me revise my previous post to:

EXPECT GREATNESS.

As mentioned, I think he has plenty of experience. The RSO thing doesn't work for me in 2021. The best kids stay 3 years. Young actually WON the Heisman as a TRUE sophomore this year, with only 22 pass attempts heading into the season. TVD has 3000 yards and 25 TD's ALREADY, and has been in the program a year longer than Young was. I don't think expecting him to have a good enough season to be in the conversation is asking too much. I think if you asked him he'd tell you he's going to win it.

someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Travis williams' name cup here only because gaby or someone in the media mistakenly said t will instead of christian robinson (who they meant) which is the LB coach at auburn
Idk about that.... @LeedsCane updated main page with this:

LB: Travis Williams (rumoured for now/déjà vu)

Doubt that would've been done based on a mistaken quote by Gaby

Advertisement
As in GI or Palooka?
Joe Mama

Deez Nuts GIF

Advertisement
Idk about that.... @LeedsCane updated main page with this:

LB: Travis Williams (rumoured for now/déjà vu)

Doubt that would've been done based on a mistaken quote by Gaby
It was only rumored bc he worked under Steele and On3 mistakenly reported that he was hired as the LB coach. It has since been deleted and edited out of the article.

I also don't think T-Will & T-Rob etc, really respected CMD. These guys come from the "hunt or be hunted" territory of the SEC....I mean looking back on it, the only reason we saw our elite young safeties was probably because of T-Rob pushing CMD that they had to play.

I think there's a BIG DIFFERENCE when Mario & Kevin Steele call you as opposed to receiving a call from Manny Diaz. We know that T-Will obviously was willing to relocate to Miami and had no hesitations or reservations there (unlike B-Mac), so aside from the obvious no-brainer of him taking the DC job with Malzahn when he spurned us a year ago.....I can see a scenario playing out where we get him to UM.

Mario/Rad already knows how he works so they'll likely be sure to compensate him well by way of Co-DC/LB title and a 2-3 year contract with incentives PLUS a fat buyout clause in case he leaves for a "full" DC role elsewhere.

If/When successful our coaches will get poached anyway, so not hire the best out there and protect our blindside with fat buyout clauses for when we inevitably get blindsided by someone leaving. If we stay as a Top 10-12 destination we will always be able to replace whichever coach that left with another successful coach.

We all wanted UM to have a seat at the big boy table....well here we are. This is what the big boys do, take each others coaches about every 1-3 years lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back