Coaching Miami’s 2022 football staff

Advertisement
At UGA - he would share the Co-DC responsibilities with Muschamp, who is in all likelihood going to be the one calling plays

Here, he would get a salary bump and be running his own defense.
Seems like he’s UGA’s to lose. If he isn’t offered play calling and a raise, they’re letting him walk.

Advertisement
My name when I posted or cripsinsight. #Westside.
cripmas-merry-christmas.gif

Update on DC from Gaby:

“ There is still little clarity on who Mario Cristobal will tap to run Miami's defense nearly four weeks since the Hurricanes hired the head coach.

Some of the names floated around have been Georgia co-defensive coordinator Glenn Schumann and Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason.

Sources told InsideTheU that a couple of other names to monitor as potential defensive play-callers include Seattle Seahawks associate head coach and defensive line coach Clint Hurtt and Houston defensive coordinator Doug Belk.

Hurtt is a Miami alum with direct ties to Cristobal. While playing at UM, Cristobal was a graduate assistant. Hurtt was then a graduate assistant at Miami during Mario Cristobal's first year at Miami in 2004 when he was coaching tight ends. In 2006, Hurtt was named Miami's defensive line coach, which was Cristobal's last year as Miami's offensive line coach before taking the head coaching job at FIU.

Hurtt also had a stint at Louisville between 2010-13 where he served as a defensive line coach, associate head coach, and recruiting coordinator. In his final year with the Cardinals, the team led the nation in sacks, total defense, rushing defense, third down defense, and second in scoring defense.

Hurtt then went on to spend three years with the Chicago Bears where he coached the defensive line and then outside linebackers before making the move over to Seattle, where he has been since March 2017.

With the Seahawks, Hurtt has coached up talent such as Jarran Reed, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2018, All-Pro defensive end Frank Clark, Michael Bennett, and Jadeveon Clowney.

A defensive line coach being hired as a defensive coordinator isn't such a rarity. Oregon recently hired Jacksonville Jaguars defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi. Rod Marinellis is another defensive line coach who has been a defensive coordinator. Buddy Ryan, Rex Ryan, Wade Phillips, Dan Quinn, Patrick Graham, and Joe Cullen are more examples of defensive line coaches making the jump.

Belk is another intriguing option and someone else off the Nick Saban coaching tree. From 2014-16, Belk was a graduate assistant coaching cornerbacks under Saban, who personally handles the position for the Crimson Tide.

After spending a couple of years at West Virginia, Belk was poached by Houston to become the associate head coach, co-defensive coordinator and safties coach. In 2021, he was named the full-time defensive coordinator and led a Cougars unit that led the nation in third down defense, allowing conversions juts 25.7 percent of the time.

Houston's defense was also top ten nationally in total defense, sacks, turnovers gained, first down defense and rushing defense. Belk's unit was also top 15 in redzone defense and top 20 in passing yards allowed and scoring defense.

Cristobal and Belk worked together in Tuscaloosa for three years.”

He also went on to add that the source says that Schumann is unlikely.
Boar and myself mentioned Hurtt a lot especially early on. He's the dl coach I had in my deleted thread. If he were to come I could see olb / De and maybe co dc for a title. With JS inside. Him as a play caller would be odd. Imo I don't see it. On staff? Yeah , it's possible.

Not upset with any of those options. Belk or Schumann would be excellent hires. Hurtt as a playcaller I wouldn't be thrilled about but the NFL experience would allow me to approach it as a "wait and see"

Advertisement
Boar and myself mentioned Hurtt a lot especially early on. He's the dl coach I had in my deleted thread. If he were to come I could see olb / De and maybe co dc for a title. With JS inside. Him as a play caller would be odd. Imo I don't see it. On staff? Yeah , it's possible.
That’s plausible but I can’t see him leaving the NFL for that

Advertisement
Does that rule still exist where Aristide would have to remain on field for another year if he is retained?
In short, no. No such rule exists. There appears to be consistent confusion on this site around the actual NCAA rules regarding this topic so I re-read the current NCAA manual to gain some clarity.

First, there appears to be a mix up in the rules that have been confused and intertwined by several posters. It all stems from the rule passed in 2017 that put rules around the employment of high school coaches who were being given plum jobs at colleges (think Bush to Michigan) to entice their high school athletes to follow them to that college.

So the NCAA wrote 2 key provisions, summarized here. (The actual rules from the NCAA website are posted below.)
1. High school coaches cannot be hired by a college and then recruit a player at that high school unless that coach is one of the 11 listed "countable" coaches. Otherwise, a college cannot employ anyone from that high school for a 4 year period related to any specific athlete (Jr, Sr year of HS and Fr, So yr of college) recruited from that school.
2. If a high school coach is hired as one of the 11 on field "countable" coaches, which would allow free immediate recruitment of any athlete from that coach's old high school, that coach must be in that "countable" role for at least one full academic year before he can be moved off field.

Again this restriction is ONLY for former high school coaches making an immediate jump to college. It has no applicability to personnel moving from the recruiting office to on field or vice versa UNLESS it's a former high school coach. Thus both DVD, who was in the recruiting dept and then went on field, and Arisitde, who was off field at A&M and came to Miami, are free to go back and forth without any restriction.

So, I believe the 2-year rule being thrown around is a mixup of 11.4.4 below crossing over with 11.4.4.2.

Hope that helps....Professor C

NCAA manual rules verbatim below.
11.4.4 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (either on a salaried or volunteer basis) or enter into a contract for future employment with an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position. (Adopted: 4/26/17 a contract signed before 1/18/17 may be honored.)
11.4.4.1 Application. [FBS] A violation of Bylaw 11.4.4 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student- athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.20) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student-athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.4 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Adopted: 4/26/17)
11.4.4.2 Exception -- Reassignment. An institution may reassign an individual associated with a prospective student- athlete from a countable coaching staff position to a noncoaching staff position or strength and conditioning staff position, provided the individual has been a countable coach at the institution the previous academic year. (Adopted: 4/26/17, Revised:

If he’s down to do that then I won’t be upset
In short, no. No such rule exists. There appears to be consistent confusion on this site around the actual NCAA rules regarding this topic so I re-read the current NCAA manual to gain some clarity.

First, there appears to be a mix up in the rules that have been confused and intertwined by several posters. It all stems from the rule passed in 2017 that put rules around the employment of high school coaches who were being given plum jobs at colleges (think Bush to Michigan) to entice their high school athletes to follow them to that college.

So the NCAA wrote 2 key provisions, summarized here. (The actual rules from the NCAA website are posted below.)
1. High school coaches cannot be hired by a college and then recruit a player at that high school unless that coach is one of the 11 listed "countable" coaches. Otherwise, a college cannot employ anyone from that high school for a 4 year period related to any specific athlete (Jr, Sr year of HS and Fr, So yr of college) recruited from that school.
2. If a high school coach is hired as one of the 11 on field "countable" coaches, which would allow free immediate recruitment of any athlete from that coach's old high school, that coach must be in that "countable" role for at least one full academic year before he can be moved off field.

Again this restriction is ONLY for former high school coaches making an immediate jump to college. It has no applicability to personnel moving from the recruiting office to on field or vice versa UNLESS it's a former high school coach. Thus both DVD, who was in the recruiting dept and then went on field, and Arisitde, who was off field at A&M and came to Miami, are free to go back and forth without any restriction.

So, I believe the 2-year rule being thrown around is a mixup of 11.4.4 below crossing over with 11.4.4.2.

11.4.4 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete -- Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (either on a salaried or volunteer basis) or enter into a contract for future employment with an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position. (Adopted: 4/26/17 a contract signed before 1/18/17 may be honored.)
11.4.4.1 Application. [FBS] A violation of Bylaw 11.4.4 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student- athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.20) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student-athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.4 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the definition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Adopted: 4/26/17)
11.4.4.2 Exception -- Reassignment. An institution may reassign an individual associated with a prospective student- athlete from a countable coaching staff position to a noncoaching staff position or strength and conditioning staff position, provided the individual has been a countable coach at the institution the previous academic year. (Adopted: 4/26/17, Revised:
Thank you for clearing that up dude. Now I see why some folks think Dvd might remain in a off field role. I knew Arsitside is possible too. It's funny because when I was told this I was thinking " God you're a dumb ***. They can't go back on field for a year". Ironically I was the dumbass. And that's why you just shut up when you aren't 100% sure on something.

Advertisement

Did not read all, but thank you for the clarification!

Advertisement
Back