Metrics? Clear program vision?

What is the guy's vision? He throws people/culture (of which he has been part of the past 4 years) under the bus, and uses extravagant hyperbole, but what does he actually want and how does he expect us to get there (culture, staff, recruiting/development, overall system). Is he going to give us a better sense on his macro-level program building concepts? For instance, what kind of guys are we recruiting and do they work with the staff we have? More importantly given where we were as a program when Manny took over, how are we developing and where do we want to go?

Based on what I can tell in recruiting, and this current class as is, we have a lot of good players, but how do they fit or help us get better?

The cynic in me feels that while Manny is all in on analytics, he has no real substantive vision and subsequent metrics for how to progress as a program.

Most of us laugh at having Butch back but at least with FIU he has a **** plan for the guys he wants (5th/6th tier recruits or not) and attributes he wants.

Very simply (two things he has been quoted):

-Butch looks at the number of 40 times on the roster which hit a threshold when he took over in comparison to now
-Butch looks at strength numbers in comparison from when he started to now and number of guys hitting metrics from then to now

Does Manny look at this on a longitudinal basis? Is it important enough to him?

Butch says:

-"Every class they want to recruit they want to be 'better' than every other prior class (to build competition and depth). "
:So I'm sure every class they actually evaluate if they are improving their roster based on attributes they want. Does Manny do this? Based on some of the last second recruiting in this first class, it seems like there is no back-up plans and guys he wants to take (Francois and his mental issues) runs counter to what he initially finds important in team culture. Manny allowing head-cases to leave and return without consequence, etc. Giving up school records for sacks and only have 2 OL committed when we need 5 for competition and program improvement.

Again I am just bringing up a few concepts, some very simple (speed number improvements as a program) that Butch brought up that are clear metrics as to what he finds important in building a program. I just don't have a clue what the vision is yet, from Manny.

Outside of the awful performances week after week by Manny I just want to see post-spring, what are his metrics, how is he evaluating progress outside of tweets/stupidity? Like 99% of most fans I don't think Manny is remotely close to being the guy here. Absolute confirmation will take place post-spring when we hear or don't hear) his evaluations based on (whatever it is) his vision for progress. Right now, everything is just a **** mess.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There's a difference between looking at a metric and saying to improve it and actually giving sound guidance on how to.

That said, I don't think Manny expected this season to turn out they way it did offensively. If he had, he probably wouldn't have been so brash during the off season. You can't pull crap like that unless you've got a support structure and press to ignore it.

There's a difference between looking at a metric and saying to improve it and actually giving sound guidance on how to.

That said, I don't think Manny expected this season to turn out they way it did offensively. If he had, he probably wouldn't have been so brash during the off season. You can't pull crap like that unless you've got a support structure and press to ignore it.

Agreed. There was no vision except 'let's be the old miami: brash, in your face, etc.' Unfortunately, that is the vision of a pot-head 15 year old child. Post-spring we need clarity.

Advertisement
It's about having a vision, knowing how to get there, and being able to convince others to follow you there. Unfortunately it's rare to find all 3 in the same person which is why great football coaches are so hard to find.

Manny and al both had the first but neither seems able to figure out the second. As for the third, Manny's got one more offseason before he's burned through all of that. He better figure out the second part quick.

Advertisement
I would start with strength and conditioning like those najeh Davenport videos. Idk how our current coach is but he needs to get way more hardcore like tommy moffit

Manny likes data. He analyzes how quickly kids celebrate with their teammates while losing by 2 tds to FIU. That is how you know who’s a true teammate!

Enjoyed the post. I have always been curious about how best practices from the business world filter into sports. It seems like a few organizations are starting to get it, but not as many as one would expect. I suspect there are some economic reasons (a much longer conversation) and an echo-chamber effect that results from coaches predominately being former players who have very little exposure to influences outside the football world.

One good example was the ESPN article a few days ago about the Packer's approach to second and short. Seems like their are a lot of competent coordinators in the league but that glaring example of a "market" inefficiency that could be uncovered by moneyball 101 tells me a lot of organizations are still run like family businesses: it's and art not a science, we know our business better, etc...

Advertisement
Cliff notes? I stopped reading after OP thinks Manuel uses analytics. Lol
Pretty much this:

pic manny butch handshake.jpg

It's about having a vision, knowing how to get there, and being able to convince others to follow you there. Unfortunately it's rare to find all 3 in the same person which is why great football coaches are so hard to find.

Manny and al both had the first but neither seems able to figure out the second. As for the third, Manny's got one more offseason before he's burned through all of that. He better figure out the second part quick.
You don't really want them to follow YOU there. You want to instill your vision as the final goal and you want every player to understand and want to reach the goal. This keeps the focused. To follow the leader often fails when the recruits begin to see his shortcomings. There are NO shortcomings in the GOAL itself.

Advertisement
Back