Metayer walks through his commitment process, speaks on rest of class

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2 weeks back, the Hurricanes and new head coach Manny Diaz held a huge Junior Day event that saw them land 5 commitments by the end of the day. One of those prospects was 2021 North Miami 4-star DE/OLB Chamon Metayer, who committed to Diaz just days after receiving his offer and described the chance to play for the Canes as a "gift".

"When I officially pulled the trigger to commit to the University of Miami, it was an emotion and thought no one could feel," Metayer said. "Being able to be given such a gift by the man above, I couldn’t let it go to waste. After the commitment, the coaches were excited, they felt as if it made them closer to another championship. They felt as if I was the right addition, another piece towards success and it wasn’t no better feeling than that."

Soon after Metayer landed his offer on January 28th, he talked things over with his brother. Following that heart-to-heart conversation, Metayer felt comfortable enough with his decision and knew he would be committing at Junior Day on February 3rd.

"Once I talked to my brother who attends FAMU (Christopher Metayer), I knew I would commit. I talked things over with him and being able to play division one football on national television was always the goal to put on for the crib," Metayer said. "We was always self-made out of North Miami and, as the blessings came in with a low support system, I was just thankful for Diaz and the other coaches for taking a chance on me."

Metayer says he grew up watching the old school Hurricanes and that's how he first fell in love with the program. However, the 6'3" 220 pound prospect was also sold on Diaz's pitch regarding academics.

"I grew up watching the real ball-hawks of defense: Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis. Look at all of them now, all Hall of Famers of the NFL straight out of The U," Metayer said. "Diaz speaking on 'education first' played a big role in my consideration too. No matter the situation, he said I'll always have help and I needed that kind of system to be around. It felt like home at first sight. The crib will always be the crib."

The North Miami star said he used the Junior Day event to get to know his future coaches better. While right now Miami is telling him they want him at linebacker, Metayer knows he could end up at a few different positions and is willing to play anywhere as long as it will help UM win.

"They’re getting a person who will play any position to do what’s best for the team, who's also capable to dominate both sides of the ball," Metayer said. "Wide receiver, tight end, linebacker, defensive end: doesn’t matter the position, I’ll dominate anywhere."

Considered an early top 100 overall prospect by 247Sports, Metayer has received plenty of early recruiting attention and chose the Canes over offers from Florida State and Florida to name a few. While he feels pretty set with Miami, Metayer says he plans to take some visits in the spring before shutting down his recruitment for good.

"I'm going to be taking visits to other schools, but I’ll be shutting down my recruitment soon," Metayer said.

With 9 commitments, Miami's class of 2021 has both quality and quantity, and is considered the early #1 overall class according to 247Sports. Of his classmates, Metayer says that the future Canes will be a group to be feared by opponents.

"I’m surrounded with gangsters, fully-loaded savages," Metayer said his classmates.

Metayer has had success in everything he's done and it's safe to say he won't be lowering the expectations he sets for himself as he moves to the next level with the Hurricanes.

"I want a natty first year, and I expect to be in the starting lineup."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
2 weeks back, the Hurricanes and new head coach Manny Diaz held a huge Junior Day event that saw them land 5 commitments by the end of the day. One of those prospects was 2021 North Miami 4-star DE/OLB Chamon Metayer, who committed to Diaz just days after receiving his offer and described the chance to play for the Canes as a "gift".

"When I officially pulled the trigger to commit to the University of Miami, it was an emotion and thought no one could feel," Metayer said. "Being able to be given such a gift by the man above, I couldn’t let it go to waste. After the commitment, the coaches were excited, they felt as if it made them closer to another championship. They felt as if I was the right addition, another piece towards success and it wasn’t no better feeling then that."

Soon after Metayer landed his offer on January 28th, he talked things over with his brother. Following that heart-to-heart conversation, Metayer felt comfortable enough with his decision and knew he would be committing at Junior Day on February 3rd.

"Once I talked to my brother who attends FAMU (Christopher Metayer), I talked things over with him and being able to play division one football on national television was always the goal to put on for the crib," Metayer said. "We was always self made out of North Miami and as the blessings came in with a low support system, I was just thankful for Diaz and the other coaches for taking a chance on me."

Metayer says he grew up watching the old school Hurricanes and that's how he first fell in love with the program. However, the 6'3" 220 pound prospect was also sold on Diaz's pitch regarding academics.

"I grew up watching the real ball-hawks of defense: Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis. Look at all of them now, all Hall of Famers of the NFL straight out of The U," Metayer said. "Diaz speaking on 'education first' played a big role in my consideration too. No matter the situation, he said I'll always have help and I needed that kind of system to be around. It felt like home at first sight. The crib will always be the crib."

The North Miami star said he used the Junior Day event to get to know his future coaches better. While right now Miami is telling him they want him at linebacker, Metayer knows he could end up at a few different positions and is willing to play anywhere as long as it will help UM win.

"They’re getting a person who will play any position to do what’s best for the team whose also capable to dominate both sides of the ball," Metayer said. "Wide receiver, tight end, linebacker, defensive end; doesn’t matter the position, I’ll dominate anywhere."

Considered an early top 100 overall prospect by 247Sports, Metayer has received plenty of early recruiting and chose the Canes over offers from Florida State and Florida to name a few. While he feels pretty set with Miami, Metayer says he plans to take some visits in the spring before shutting down his recruitment for good.

"I'm going to be taking visits to other schools, but I’ll be shutting down my recruitment soon," Metayer said.

With 9 commitments, Miami's class of 2021 has both quality and quantity, and is considered the early #1 overall class according to 247Sports. Of his classmates, Metayer says that the future Canes will be a group to be feared by opponents.

"I’m surrounded with gangsters, fully-loaded savages," Metayer said his classmates.

Metayer has had success in everything he's done and it's safe to say he won't be lowering the expectations he sets for himself as he moves to the next level with the Hurricanes.

"I want a natty first year, and I expect to be in the starting lineup."

Thank you for the article Stefan! I love this kid! I love his attitude and I love his appreciation for the Canes. He reminds me of DJ Dallas (before and after his commitment to The U) in the way he talks and loves the Canes. It's GREAT to be a MIAMI HURRICANE!!! Go Canes!!!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Idk what Manny & the staff is telling these kids but got **** don’t stop.
IMO they are selling the kids that if the SOFL players stay home they can win championships. They are selling loyalty and that the teams winning are winning with guys from SOFL/Fl. That no team gets you to the league your dedication and hard work does.

Advertisement
Back