Metayer outlines move to TE, Junior Day visit

View as article
There are plenty TE's that had limited experience or none at all that became great. No one here knows if he'll be a really/great TE in the future. It becomes clear pretty fast if a kid needs to try another position.

Advertisement
Or OL? 6'5" 220 as a HS junior is pretty **** big for a TE. I honestly don't care though. If he's an elite football player, get him on the boat and figure out where he fits later.

But, man, I feel old listening to that kid talk. I know it's what's up these days, but humility seems to be an entirely lost trait.

What?!! Whose man's is this?!!
6'5 220 is average for a hs TE. If he was 260, yes. But 220 at 6'5 is light in the a$$.

Or OL? 6'5" 220 as a HS junior is pretty **** big for a TE. I honestly don't care though. If he's an elite football player, get him on the boat and figure out where he fits later.

But, man, I feel old listening to that kid talk. I know it's what's up these days, but humility seems to be an entirely lost trait.

I hear you, but humility has rarely been "our thing" at UM. Play big, then talk big. That's what UM football was like when we were churning up college football. If this young man wants to run his mouth about being a savage and a gangster, so long as he is consistently dominating on the field, I am all for it.

The issue, as I see it, is lately we've been "talk big, then play small;" and last year we were "talk big, play small, dance party big."

Metayer is still a work in progress. Legit jumbo athlete with size and ability but not sure where he fits best.

On defense, he moves very well in space for his size and can be a versatile chess piece there. But it depends on his mentality.

his soph tape on defense is really good. I wouldn’t mind Miami telling him what they need to in order to get him signed, he’ll thank the coaches when he’s a 1st rounder

Advertisement
Advertisement
I hear you, but humility has rarely been "our thing" at UM. Play big, then talk big. That's what UM football was like when we were churning up college football. If this young man wants to run his mouth about being a savage and a gangster, so long as he is consistently dominating on the field, I am all for it.

The issue, as I see it, is lately we've been "talk big, then play small;" and last year we were "talk big, play small, dance party big."

Exactly. The way he talks, he better have put up some numbers. I didn't see any mentioned in the article though.

6'5" 220 is NOT average for a HS TE who's a junior. If he was 260 he'd be an OT in 1 spring/fall of a college strength and conditioning program.

Report •••

Advertisement
Kid is an athlete but rumors are he is a huge disciplinary issue. There just rumors but if its true PAAASSSSS ON HIM!!! Same with Lewis, done with the knuckleheads. Enough good character kids down here that you dont have to settle.
Good coaches know how to work with talented kids. Our program was built on kids with disciplinary issues who grew into responsible contributors.

2021 ATH Chamon Metayer committed to the Miami Hurricanes just over a year ago in February 2019, and has not wavered since then. Although Metayer was originally recruited as a jumbo linebacker that could potentially grow into a defensive end, he mostly played receiver and tight end for Miami Central last season, and has expressed that he’d prefer to play offense in college. After Metayer talked to the UM coaches about it, the staff is on board with a move to tight end.

“I’ve always wanted to play offense,” Metayer said. “The coaches were all excited about the change and how I dominated in high school this year on offense. I improved majorly this year. I'm too much of a gangster catching the ball - when defenses see me, they see a savage that can't be stopped, a whole different breed.”

As a longtime commit, Metayer has been a regular on Miami’s campus over the past year, and he continued that trend by attending the Canes’ Junior Day late last month. The 6-5 220 pound prospect got more of an in-depth rundown on the new offense, and was able to build a stronger relationship with his new position coach, tight ends coach Stephen Field.

“The visit was great as usual,” Metayer said. “I was mainly speaking with coach Field because of my transition into a full-time offensive player. He was basically telling me how it's an ‘Air Raid’ offense and there's going to be no-huddling at times. He’s just been telling me great things and showing me how I fit into the offense.”

After learning more about what his role would be in the offense and meeting some of the new offensive coaches at Miami, Metayer said his commitment is even stronger now.

“My commitment is solidified,” Metayer said. “Moving into this year, coach (Rhett) Lashlee made me feel even more solid knowing he throws the rock and everyone eats in the offensive schemes he runs. That was just a big plus in my mind, as well as me building bonds with the other coaches such as my main man coach Field, coach (Blake) Baker, coach (DeMarcus) Van Dyke, coach (David) Cooney, and especially coach (Manny) Diaz.

“I love their passion for this game and knowing the sacrifices they'll make to succeed is just outstanding. They will make the crib great for real, with no doubt. If you don't love what they're building over there, then you can watch us succeed in the future.”

In terms of the rest of the 2021 class, UM is again off to a fast start with a consensus top 10 class right now among recruiting services. Of his classmates, Metayer says that the future Canes will be a group to be feared by opponents.

“Like I once said, this class is loaded with some very great people and there's a difference in just being good and being great,” Metayer said. “I'm a fully-loaded savage, a gangster on the field, and that's what we need at the U, bringing that swagger back.”

Does he have anyone in mind he wants to add to the class?

“I’m not worried about the next man, I'm here to get the job done,” Metayer said. “I'm rolling and rocking with whoever’s with me.”

Over the offseason, Metayer left Miami Central and transferred back to North Miami for his senior season; he originally spent his first two years of high school ball with the Pioneers.

With the time off over the spring and summer, Metayer says he will mainly be focusing on his mental game.

“First thing first is academics,” Metayer said. “I know what I have to do to be great for another year in high school football. It's all about how I mentally take on the challenges that come this year.”

Sounds like a really good kid and exactly the type this Miami staff is looking to recruit and build with, in guy's that wan tdd to be here and don't care too much about the outside noise by staying solid w/their commitment all the way through trying to be the guys who turn it around and not following everyone trying to get on this super team bandwagon that's been plaguing sports lately!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back