Soccer Messi?

I’m sure the answer is no but has there ever been talk of the MLS going to a relegation/promotion setting like europe? I think that’s the best part about soccer, super cool imo. Makes all the games matter that much more instead of tanking for a top draft pick with no repercussions

Advertisement
I’m sure the answer is no but has there ever been talk of the MLS going to a relegation/promotion setting like europe? I think that’s the best part about soccer, super cool imo. Makes all the games matter that much more instead of tanking for a top draft pick with no repercussions

As much as relegation/promotion SEEMS cool, it really ends up being short-lived for the most part. I'll bet you that Leeds United ends up back in the EPL in a year, two at the most. There are stats that show that promoted teams frequently get relegated within a few years, and there aren't many situations where teams have moved two levels or more. And when you're in the top league, there's nowhere to move up, so it's just "win the trophy" or not.

The US model on sports franchises tends to prize stability of ownership. The days of being a cheap owner who spends nothing are largely over, and it's good to see US sports leagues requiring a minimum payroll.

As much as relegation/promotion SEEMS cool, it really ends up being short-lived for the most part. I'll bet you that Leeds United ends up back in the EPL in a year, two at the most. There are stats that show that promoted teams frequently get relegated within a few years, and there aren't many situations where teams have moved two levels or more. And when you're in the top league, there's nowhere to move up, so it's just "win the trophy" or not.

The US model on sports franchises tends to prize stability of ownership. The days of being a cheap owner who spends nothing are largely over, and it's good to see US sports leagues requiring a minimum payroll.
Actually thought Roman Abramovich was an excellent owner at Chelsea, but we know how that ended. New owner is on a learning curve over there. He's spent some unnecessary money and geez, they've burned through coaches very quickly. I agree with your points. It's a very different world over there.

Yeah, the Saudis are definitely trying to sportswash their money, between soccer and golf.

I know the schedule is "non-traditional", but there are breaks for the international schedule.

And I'd certainly hope that the top players in the world are not super-concerned by promotion/relegation. The owners, maybe, but hopefully not the players.

Money. If the best players can come to the US, get paid well, and tap into massive endorsements...
Saudis are investing into esports as well. It's pretty wild.

Advertisement
You'd need to have enough teams and enough fanbases.

The reason why relegation exists in Europe is because the sport exploded in every square inch of the countries. Ridiculous amounts of clubs were founded.

But thats about to go down soon. Relegation will exist, just less leagues.

Glad it's not this year. Inter Miami is so playing poorly. Can't wait for what Messi should do especially if they get him the right supporting cast.

1690315433795.png

Advertisement
3 goals already and Miami looks different. You couldn't have a better ending than what happened his first game. They've come out on fire with 2 for Messi this first half.

We purchased the MLS season pass as my youngest son wanted to watch the games. It's been fun so far. Messi is his favorite player, but he's got a bunch of jerseys for current and past names. I'm looking to get him an Endrick Palmeiras jersey. He's the next big Brazilian who Real Madrid paid a $72 million dollar transfer fee for the moment he turned 16 in December.

I know someone said the cost with travel and academy teams puts some kids out of the picture, that's true. Many of those teams offer scholarships based on family income.

As for how you grow this sport or any other, you out it on television. Not as a subscription service, but like the old days, over the air, on major networks. It would be a process, but eventually it would get there. When kids see something on television, that they're interested in, they'll try to be next.

I mean you've just dropped a bloke that almost single handedly won a World Cup (his teammates did all his running and just allowed him to attack) into the MLS. That's a cheat code.
I used that term 30 minutes ago.

Advertisement
3 goals already and Miami looks different. You couldn't have a better ending than what happened his first game. They've come out on fire with 2 for Messi this first half.

We purchased the MLS season pass as my youngest son wanted to watch the games. It's been fun so far. Messi is his favorite player, but he's got a bunch of jerseys for current and past names. I'm looking to get him an Endrick Palmeiras jersey. He's the next big Brazilian who Real Madrid paid a $72 million dollar transfer fee for the moment he turned 16 in December.

I know someone said the cost with travel and academy teams puts some kids out of the picture, that's true. Many of those teams offer scholarships based on family income.

As for how you grow this sport or any other, you out it on television. Not as a subscription service, but like the old days, over the air, on major networks. It would be a process, but eventually it would get there. When kids see something on television, that they're interested in, they'll try to be next.
It's not "wikipedia official," but media outlets have indicated that Inter Miami have a deal for Facundo Farias. It's probably a loan. He's only 20, but has played a ton of games in Argentina already. River Plate wanted him, Liverpool and Juve have both scouted him. He's a very talented attacking midfielder. This team is about to look totally different.

Advertisement
OMG, no kidding. If he stays healthy, this is gonna be fun. Wish that was a league game yesterday, so we'd start to move out of the cellar. Still would be great to win this cup.
Sure, but we're probably too far out of it to make a serious run in the league. Even if this is a tin cup, we need to win a trophy. So, let's do that.

Sure, but we're probably too far out of it to make a serious run in the league. Even if this is a tin cup, we need to win a trophy. So, let's do that.

Yeah, it's just too late for Inter Miami this year.

The season is about 2/3 over. Inter Miami has 18 points through 22 matches. That is .818 points per match, and the regular season is 34 matches. Inter Miami is on a pace for 28 points in a full season.

Sure, but what about Messi...

Last year, when only 7 teams made the playoff cut, you need about 1.4 points per match. Orlando City got the last spot in the East with 48 points, and Real Salt Lake got the last spot in the West with 47 points.

But with expansion, MLS now has 9 playoff teams in each conference, as spots 8 & 9 in the East & West are "play-in" games. Currently, DC United is the #9 team in the East with 30 points in 24 matches, for 1.25 points per match. Assuming similar performance across the final 10 games, you would expect DC United to finish with 43 points.

So, assuming that Inter Miami did not want to lose out on a tiebreaker, they would need 44 points to get into the playoffs, which means they would need 26 points over the final 12 matches, or 2.167 points per match. Which is a wild number to hit. Neither the Eastern nor Western champs in 2022 broke 2.000 points per match. It should be noted that Cincinnati is ON FIRE this year, and they are hitting 2.217 points per match right now, but they might cool off. Basically, 2.00 points per match is the gold standard, only a few teams have accomplished that over 34 games. MAYBE it's possible over 12 games, but nearly 2.2 points per match? Incredibly unlikely.

Which means that for Inter Miami to make the 2023 playoffs...the team would need to play at the level of the best team in the league (Cincinnati), just to have a shot of getting the 9th playoff spot.

Advertisement
Back