Soccer Messi?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Soccer boom about to happen in the US. Every kid will want to play. This pairs nicely with the next World Cup in a few years
You're so right. So much untapped talent in US. The 20$ cheap seats for the Inter Miami at ATL United game are already listed over 200$

You're so right. So much untapped talent in US. The 20$ cheap seats for the Inter Miami at ATL United game are already listed over 200$

The real key is going to be how the salaries increase. Value of MLS franchises has been increasing. Who knows if the "endorsement" income for US-based soccer players will ever approximate those who play in Europe.

But you'll definitely need to see salaries increase. Messi is going to make most of his money for this contract from Apple and adidas. And that's great for him, but it doesn't address the salaries of all the other players in MLS.

Advertisement
Soccer boom about to happen in the US. Every kid will want to play. This pairs nicely with the next World Cup in a few years
Until they go back to soccer at the public school level and continue the “pay for play” system, the us will never get to a top international team level.

Just saw them stink it up against Uruguay at the u20 World Cup.
Uruguay is a great soccer nation.
But in terms of resources an number of youth players we dwarf them.
Uruguay has a total population of 3.4 million. We literally have more youth soccer players than their entire population. And yet we can’t even field an under 20 squad to beat them.

The current soccer system basically eliminates a huge swath of players and athletes because they can’t pay the average of 3-5 k a year to play for these academy teams.

And the US has spent a sht ton of money for the past 30 years for a team that barely qualifies for the World Cup in one of the easiest regions.

The mls salaries are getting there as well as the viewership and attendance. But the national team is still way behind despite the amount of players playing internationally.

While I would love to see the US get excited and be more competitive in soccer, I just don't see it happening. While this move is very big, I see it along the lines of the World Cup. We get excited here and it is very short lived and takes a back seat behind football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. I don't see us being a top team in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong.

I’ve been clamoring for years for the mls to drop their nuts and start paying for top international talent.
Wait till the ratings for those games come out.
Your gonna have to restructure the entire mls cause everyone from the team owners to their sponsors are gonna be begging every team to the same.

Who would’ve thought that in Charlotte nc a soccer ticket would be going for 10k. That’s nba court side ticket money.
That’s Super Bowl ticket money.

Advertisement
While I would love to see the US get excited and be more competitive in soccer, I just don't see it happening. While this move is very big, I see it along the lines of the World Cup. We get excited here and it is very short lived and takes a back seat behind football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. I don't see us being a top team in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong.
Has the potential to pass hockey if it hasn't already done so. I could see it passing baseball as crazy as it sounds

Has the potential to pass hockey if it hasn't already done so. I could see it passing baseball as crazy as it sounds
The potential is definitely there. Just gotta find a way to keep up the excitement. For whatever reason, we just lose interest in soccer here, and I don't know why because at the top levels, it truly is a beautiful game to watch!

Advertisement
The potential is definitely there. Just gotta find a way to keep up the excitement. For whatever reason, we just lose interest in soccer here, and I don't know why because at the top levels, it truly is a beautiful game to watch!

I think it will be different this time around. In past soccer "expansion" efforts in the US, the growth was too much/too fast and you had some teams that just spent money on aging superstars, and then the quality of play suffered.

This MLS effort over the past 10-12 years has been very disciplined in expansion, you are seeing purpose-built stadiums, and you have a pretty good product on the field. There has been some good parity, you can see teams going from the top of the table to the bottom and back again, and I don't think any city is saddled with "the Detroit Lions" of soccer.

It comes down to pay. The US market is huge. If the European league stars can find comparable money here (particularly with endorsements), you will start to see more and more players who choose to play here DURING THEIR PRIME YEARS.

But the team salaries will need to rise. If these owners are sitting on more-and-more-valuable franchises, they need to decide to plow some of that value back into salaries.

I think it will be different this time around. In past soccer "expansion" efforts in the US, the growth was too much/too fast and you had some teams that just spent money on aging superstars, and then the quality of play suffered.

This MLS effort over the past 10-12 years has been very disciplined in expansion, you are seeing purpose-built stadiums, and you have a pretty good product on the field. There has been some good parity, you can see teams going from the top of the table to the bottom and back again, and I don't think any city is saddled with "the Detroit Lions" of soccer.

It comes down to pay. The US market is huge. If the European league stars can find comparable money here (particularly with endorsements), you will start to see more and more players who choose to play here DURING THEIR PRIME YEARS.

But the team salaries will need to rise. If these owners are sitting on more-and-more-valuable franchises, they need to decide to plow some of that value back into salaries.
Have you seen how much Saudi Arabia is pouring into soccer and many other markets as well? I think they wanted Messi big time.

For better or worse, playing a non traditional schedule not in line with the international schedule and not having promotion/relegation is a bit weird to the non Americans. That said, the overall quality of life is generally better in the US than much of the the locations of the top soccer leagues.

Already has an endorsement with Hard Rock.

Screenshot_20230608_221236_Firefox Focus.jpg

Have you seen how much Saudi Arabia is pouring into soccer and many other markets as well? I think they wanted Messi big time.

For better or worse, playing a non traditional schedule not in line with the international schedule and not having promotion/relegation is a bit weird to the non Americans. That said, the overall quality of life is generally better in the US than much of the the locations of the top soccer leagues.

Yeah, the Saudis are definitely trying to sportswash their money, between soccer and golf.

I know the schedule is "non-traditional", but there are breaks for the international schedule.

And I'd certainly hope that the top players in the world are not super-concerned by promotion/relegation. The owners, maybe, but hopefully not the players.

Money. If the best players can come to the US, get paid well, and tap into massive endorsements...

Advertisement
Back