Message to Frenk

BigCaneAl

Senior
Premium
Assuming you were given the opportunity to meet with Frenk and University leadership, what would your message be? Constructively.

I think it would be centered around explaining how an investment in the football program can be fiscally self sustained and ultimately improve not just performance on the field, but lead to improved academics, national reputation, and community outreach.

1. Lay out financial plan: Season tickets, brand partnerships, marketing value etc would outweigh an increase in spending of 5-7M for coach, staff, and any prorated buyouts.

2. Several studies (need citations) have shown correlation with academic ranking and performance in football due largely to greater applicant pool. Marketing through positive football coverage would be worth millions in media.

3. Football is UM’s link to the community at large. It is the first thing the majority of this community thinks of when they see the university. How can we use this to improve perception of the school etc.

Thoughts? Different approach?

Advertisement
I guess I’ll be more clear, without elaborating, this isn’t a hypothetical. Collectively I was hoping we could crowdsource some thoughts that would help make a compelling case.

Advertisement
Dear Frenk,
4543F47C-7150-4AAF-AA70-9C1572C5C565.jpeg
9C7033E6-47B8-4B40-BB12-333A2A0456BD.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Assuming you were given the opportunity to meet with Frenk and University leadership, what would your message be? Constructively.

I think it would be centered around explaining how an investment in the football program can be fiscally self sustained and ultimately improve not just performance on the field, but lead to improved academics, national reputation, and community outreach.

1. Lay out financial plan: Season tickets, brand partnerships, marketing value etc would outweigh an increase in spending of 5-7M for coach, staff, and any prorated buyouts.

2. Several studies (need citations) have shown correlation with academic ranking and performance in football due largely to greater applicant pool. Marketing through positive football coverage would be worth millions in media.

3. Football is UM’s link to the community at large. It is the first thing the majority of this community thinks of when they see the university. How can we use this to improve perception of the school etc.

Thoughts? Different approach?
Be a major donor or close with one. Doesn’t matter without that

I guess I’ll be more clear, without elaborating, this isn’t a hypothetical. Collectively I was hoping we could crowdsource some thoughts that would help make a compelling case.

I'll play. This was the text of my email to Frenk and Blake after Michigan State.

Dear Mr. James and Mr. Frenk,

I write to you today to talk numbers as numbers are often the measurement of success in business, in sports, and in life.

So with that said, let’s talk numbers:

Since Manny Diaz’s arrival at UM to serve as Coach Richt’s Defensive Coordinator, we have seen the following:

5 Turnover Chains
3 Touchdown Rings
1 Vault and associated NFT (again the Turnover Chain)

The program was in a position of strength when Coach Richt retired at the end of the 2018 season. He left money on the table, had recruited well, and we were positioned to continue the momentum gained under him to reassert ourselves in the ACC and on the national stage.

What happened? Mr James, you and the BOT panicked. Instead of doing a thorough coaching search, we paid Temple to get Manny Diaz back and learn on the job. What happened next? Let’s talk numbers again.

Manny’s cumulative record: 15-12
Bad losses to inferior teams: 5 (FIU, Duke, LA Tech, OK State, Michigan State)
Bowl game record: 0-2
Record in last five games: 1-4
Record in 8 games before that to the beginning of 2020: 7-1
Record in 2019 6-7 (as you can see, this is getting worse vs better)
Yards gained by UNC’s Michael Carter in the penultimate game of 2020: 308 (THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHT)

What should be clear is aptitude and focus. Those are two things that are lacking around the football program.

Aptitude in coaching encompasses many things including, but not limited to, preparing players for their opponent, game-planning against said opponent and reacting in-game to changes in the dynamics, playing the best players and putting those players in a position to succeed, and recognizing when things aren’t working. I believe that Manny Diaz is a good man and his heart is in the right place. The results that I highlighted above show that the aptitude is not there.

Now focus, we aren’t focused on winning. We are focused on gimmicks and flash per my first set of numbers above. Our own student athletes were mocked against Alabama for celebrating a “turnover" that wasn’t with the aforementioned chain while down by 3 touchdowns. Athletics brought this University to prominence and allowed us much of what you two reap the benefits of today. We need to reprioritize athletics, and football, in particular to maintain the strength of the Miami brand and keep “The U” in the hearts and minds of alumni, boosters, and donors alike.

So, many on social media are asking for your resignation, but I ask that you prove them wrong. Do the right thing by the football program and relieve Manny Diaz of his duties. Make Coach Lashlee or Ed Reed the interim head coach and immediately put together the type of offer that a big-time proven coach cannot refuse. Hire a real search firm. Get on the phone with the agents of Mario Cristobal, Lane Kiffin, Bill O’Brien, Greg Schiano, Brian Daboll. Open the checkbook for real this time and get it right.

We have had less talent than the other team a maximum of 3 times in Manny’s 12 losses, yet we are a FG away from an Appalachian State win and an 0-3 record to start this year, a 14-13 record overall, and an 0-5 record in the last five games. What does that come down to? Coaching. A team that comes out flat, plays uninspired, and, as they did today, gives up against inferior competition.

Manny himself said this post-game: "Everyone has a right to be disappointed the way the first three games started. There's no defending that. We have not performed the way that we should perform. and this coaching staff, we'll get that corrected we'll get that fixed.”

The problem is that this is who this team is because of their leader. This was the same theme after the loss to FIU in his first year and nothing has changed. The time has come.

As Jeremy Foley once said, “what should be done eventually, must be done immediately.”

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
When was the Blades meeting with Frenk & Flake? Was that yesterday?

Advertisement
He doesn’t matter. If you truly believe that he does, stop supporting this team, because we’ll never win. The real power behind the program is in people, for the most part, no one posts about here. Some here would be shocked at how much work goes on behind the scenes in all things football that aren’t even talked about to the staff, let alone the administration.

Advertisement
Back