Mesidor’s impact

View as article
Advertisement
The fact that Mesidor, Taylor, and Kinchens rate so highly according to PFF, we had 2 corners get drafted (one of which went in the top 60), and our defense was still an absolute abomination is so perplexing to me
That level of talent combined with an “all star” coaching staff! Steele, Strong, Addae, Reed, and Taylor looks incredible on paper. It’s truly amazing how poorly everything meshed last year.

Last edited:
Manny nor Steele are not as bad as many CIS chuggers might think. WE HAD ENOUGH BAD FOOTBALL PLAYERS THAT IT DIDN'T MATTER WHO WAS CALLING PLAYS. Of course, you can place that blame on Manny as they were his guys. MD the head coach is about as good as a penny with a whole in it, but with the right talent his is solid as a DC.

We had not-so-smart players and a cancerous culture affecting everything. Go back in time and watch that MTSU game. That was dumb players doing their own thing and they are now gone.

Manny nor Steele are not as bad as many CIS chuggers might think. WE HAD ENOUGH BAD FOOTBALL PLAYERS THAT IT DIDN'T MATTER WHO WAS CALLING PLAYS. Of course, you can place that blame on Manny as they were his guys. MD the head coach is about as good as a penny with a whole in it, but with the right talent his is solid as a DC.

We had not-so-smart players and a cancerous culture affecting everything. Go back in time and watch that MTSU game. That was dumb players doing their own thing and they are now gone.

Being a bad fit doesn’t make you a bad coach, but it will make you look like one.

Steele made plenty of mistakes, as did the players. The staff never got on the same page and it never gave a chance for the players to do so as well.

Last year was a perfect storm of misadventure, plenty of blame to go around. You can’t turn a culture around when leadership isn’t a united front. Things should be a lot better this year.

Advertisement

Steele was so bad that Sabag hired him away as a favor to us so we don’t have deal with his ineptitude any longer. How gracious of him.

Steele was so bad that Sabag hired him away as a favor to us so we don’t have deal with his ineptitude any longer. How gracious of him.
He's a place holder until Jeremy Pruitt gets the green light to come back. Steele will be fine at Bama because he usually does very well with a talented defense. He can't scheme around talent deficiencies though.

Mesidor's combination of quickness and strength should have him playing inside more often in 2023.

During his time at West Virginia he was most effective playing DT:

Among 272 interior Power 5 defensive linemen to play at least 100 snaps in 2021, Mesidor ranked fifth-best last season in creating pressures (31) and tied for ninth in sacks with 4½, according to Pro Football Focus. He also produced eight tackles for loss and 38 tackles.

Advertisement
Being a bad fit doesn’t make you a bad coach, but it will make you look like one.

Steele made plenty of mistakes, as did the players. The staff never got on the same page and it never gave a chance for the players to do so as well.

Last year was a perfect storm of misadventure, plenty of blame to go around. You can’t turn a culture around when leadership isn’t a united front. Things should be a lot better this year.
This is probably the sanest most concise breakdown of the situation I’ve seen. I’m struggling with the optimism part myself which maybe is more emotionally driven than rational, but idk. I still see a disjointed roster full of JAGs and holes. Mario lost a lot of my confidence in his football x&o vision last year where he had a clean slate to install his stuff and he had no ideas other than hire big names and assume they’re good.

Mesidor's combination of quickness and strength should have him playing inside more often in 2023.

During his time at West Virginia he was most effective playing DT:

Among 272 interior Power 5 defensive linemen to play at least 100 snaps in 2021, Mesidor ranked fifth-best last season in creating pressures (31) and tied for ninth in sacks with 4½, according to Pro Football Focus. He also produced eight tackles for loss and 38 tackles.
Isn't that the reason he left because he didn't like playing that position? Either way between Bain, Mesidor, Deen, LT and JHH I don't think pass rushing is the issue.

The fact that Mesidor, Taylor, and Kinchens rate so highly according to PFF, we had 2 corners get drafted (one of which went in the top 60), and our defense was still an absolute abomination is so perplexing to me
Maybe it's how they were used.

Advertisement

MANNY RECRUITED THISE GUYS OFFERED THEM EVALUATED THEM!!! ITS HIS FAULT FRANKLIN WILL GIVE HIM PLAYERS ITS THE ONLY REASON HE CAN COSCH

Advertisement
Back