Merriweather-Lewis in contact with Field, plans summer UM visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 4-star OL Miller Merriweather-Lewis recently transferred to Trinity Catholic from Vanguard, but not before a standout year with the Knights. After going undefeated in the regular season, Merriweather-Lewis and Vanguard saw their streak snapped against Armwood in the 6A State Playoffs, however, he felt 2018 was still a good season.

“It went pretty good. We made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs,” Merriweather-Lewis said. “I transferred after Christmas break, I’m at Trinity Catholic now. Looking forward to a great senior year as a Celtic.”

Along with the change of high schools, Merriweather-Lewis has seen modifications within the colleges that have been recruiting him. In particular, the Miami Hurricanes changed out their offensive staff over the off-season, but new TE coach Stephen Field has stayed in contact with Merriweather-Lewis.

“I have heard from coach Field,” Merriweather-Lewis said. “He said they love my tape.”

As of yet, Miami has not indicated if they like him at guard or tackle, but Merriweather-Lewis says he prefers tackle. Growing up a Canes fan, Merriweather-Lewis has always had an affinity for not just the team, but the city as well.

“I was always a fan of Miami. I think since I was 8 maybe and it just grew from there basically. I like the 30-for-30’s too,” Merriweather-Lewis said. "It’s just the environment because when you go down there, it’s Miami, and how could you not love Miami?”

Merriweather-Lewis has made multiple trips to Miami in the past, but has not been to Coral Gables since the new coaching staff arrived. He plans to change that soon with a summer visit to Miami and that trip looks like it could be Miami’s chance to climb back into his top group. The Canes were originally in his top 3 last spring, but he said that’s changed now with the staff changes.

“My current top three are LSU, Auburn and UCF,” he said.

The 6’3” 300 pound prospect most recently visited the Florida Gators earlier this month and plans to see UCF and USF in the near future as well. As for a decision, Merriweather-Lewis will wait a bit so that he can utilize his official visits and be sure of his choice. He does not plan on signing early as of now.

“It will definitely be sometime senior year,” Merriweather-Lewis said. “I want to take all of my official visits.”

When he is ready to make a college announcement, though, the main deciding factor will have much more to do with life after football than anything on the field.

“Basically, it’s about life after college,” said Merriweather-Lewis said. “Say I go into the pro’s, who can I rely on if I needed something? If I was in college and got hurt, and I can’t play football anymore, then it’s all about education. Who has the best education?”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was just thinking has the staff been in contact with this guy. I knew he was big on Miami with the old staff. Hopefully we could get back in his good graces.

Advertisement
Can’t understand how he can say education is important to him “after the pro’s” but he has LSU, Auburn, and UCF as his Top 3. Unless he’s seeking a degree we don’t have, how can he not be looking at Miami?

Looks the part of his rating, hopefully the new staff will reach out to him and show him some love.

Im getting soooo tired of this board harping on the education thing.

when recruits says education is important or they like a school academics...9 times out of 10 they are talking about the "educational support" they receive at the school. Your eally think they care or check on the rankings of these schools?. Them ninjas are talking about tutors and someone son/daughter doing their work

Advertisement

when recruits says education is important or they like a school academics...9 times out of 10 they are talking about the "educational support" they receive at the school. Your eally think they care or check on the rankings of these schools?. Them ninjas are talking about tutors and someone son/daughter doing their work
Lol it's a shame you had to explain that.

Advertisement
Agree, we are the clear education leader.
We are ranked 50th nationally in academics. Even UiF has moved decisively ahead of us over the last five years and are now ranked around 35. We are in the middle of the pack in the ACC, behind at least Duke, Wake, UNC, BC, and Ga Tech. Stanford, Duke, and Northwertern are the elite schools academically in major college football, but Notre Dame is pretty close to elite and they also have a lot of football tradition. We are not bad academically, but we are more of a “leader” in football than academics, even over the past ten years when we were around the 30th or 40th best football program in the country.

Of course, we blow away Alabama, FSU, and Clemson academically.

This.

Braxton Berrios was the kind of exceptional scholar/athlete who had the abilities and interest to take advantage of the academic opportunities at a superior institution, but the vast majority of football players at this level are more concerned about just surviving college and getting their degree. So, I agree 100% that means academic support, not the school’s academic ranking.

@gogeta4 wow, seriously did not know that kids are more interested in finding others to take their classes/quizzes/tests for them rather than looking at the tutor program and other support programs to determine whether or not the kid can be a success in the classroom. Does this happen at all major football schools, or just the ones where the academia would be considered harder than say an Alabama or Clemson? Not being a smart ***, seriously didn’t know since I just started tracking recruiting here as of late.

Facts

Advertisement
Back