Merl Code's Book

Advertisement
He certainly makes some very valid points. Unfortunately, those points are going to be undermined by the “I did nothing wrong, whitey just trying to keep the black man down” routine. There are certainly a lot of other people that need to be punished, and they won’t be. And that is definitely an injustice. But he talks about “The truth of the society we live in”. What he is doing is a perfect example of that society. Zero accountability for messing up. Not once in there does he say he was wrong. Instead it was “I was just doing my job”. Sorry buddy, but if my boss orders me to knowingly engage in illegal activity, and I do it, I’m to blame.

He certainly makes some very valid points. Unfortunately, those points are going to be undermined by the “I did nothing wrong, whitey just trying to keep the black man down” routine. There are certainly a lot of other people that need to be punished, and they won’t be. And that is definitely an injustice. But he talks about “The truth of the society we live in”. What he is doing is a perfect example of that society. Zero accountability for messing up. Not once in there does he say he was wrong. Instead it was “I was just doing my job”. Sorry buddy, but if my boss orders me to knowingly engage in illegal activity, and I do it, I’m to blame.
100!

While, I hate that he got caught without a seat when the music stopped, he was getting his bags and getting paid pretty well to do his job so for the circumstance to become egregious AFTER he gets caught is a bit disingenuous. I feel the same about Brian Flores suddenly feeling the need to right wrongs of the NFL only after he felt disrespected and fired by the Dolphins.

100!

While, I hate that he got caught without a seat when the music stopped, he was getting his bags and getting paid pretty well to do his job so for the circumstance to become egregious AFTER he gets caught is a bit disingenuous. I feel the same about Brian Flores suddenly feeling the need to right wrongs of the NFL only after he felt disrespected and fired by the Dolphins.
Apples and oranges. To our knowledge unlike Merl, Coach Flores didn't break any laws. I don't know anyone who would be willing to bite the hand that is feeding them. Now, the minute they stop feeding you and you feel you've been wronged then you have every right to speak on it. And if that means litigation -- so be it. I don't think anything of substance will come from the race allegations because I don't know how his team will be able to prove that. However, I do think being offered money to tank has raised a lot of eyebrows and if he has any proof that won't be hard to prove.

Merl has been one of the most respected/feared guys in the grassroots world of basketball for a long time. It's unfortunate what happened to him but it was bound to happen. At some point, that proverbial red carpet was going to get pulled from under him. If they did it to Sonny Vacarro what makes you think it wouldn't happen to Merl? It's pretty common knowledge among those around the college game that know EVERYONE pays. From low majors to blue bloods all the way up to the shoe companies, every successful program has doled out some money to bring in players. He makes some great points in this interview. Unfortunately, it may have all fallen on deaf ears. Powers that be don't want to hear any of it and would like nothing more than to see it swept under a rug.

Advertisement
Apples and oranges. To our knowledge unlike Merl, Coach Flores didn't break any laws. I don't know anyone who would be willing to bite the hand that is feeding them. Now, the minute they stop feeding you and you feel you've been wronged then you have every right to speak on it. And if that means litigation -- so be it. I don't think anything of substance will come from the race allegations because I don't know how his team will be able to prove that. However, I do think being offered money to tank has raised a lot of eyebrows and if he has any proof that won't be hard to prove.

I don't think that the situations are the same but the way that they dealt with their consequences were similar. They both participated in said evil or looked the other way until thing went left for them and they both decided to tell their truths and condemn what they just recently participated in.

I agree that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Ever. But Flores is attacking the NFL now. Is he really going to make the argument that he thought the Rooney rule was real? Cmon everybody knew it was about protocol. He knew it too.

Advertisement
Back