MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

If they did, they need to be thrown on a pile of Red Ants covered in Honey.
Zoey GIF by The Roku Channel

Advertisement
A Stadium on campus will never, ever happen. Not on 220 occupied acres. Even if Hypothetically UM had an extra 75-100 acres...there's no possible way on earth that the Old & substantial "Old Gables Money" would ever let it happen.
Anyone who brings up an "on Campus Stadium" has never stepped foot in Coral Gables or was drunk at the time of visit. LOL

Anyone who brings up an "on Campus Stadium" has never stepped foot in Coral Gables or was drunk at the time of visit. LOL
Look, I know its a long shot but if they bought up the homes just north of Mahoney/Pearson there are a lot of creative ways to get a stadium built. Obviously that would require years of acquisitions, lots of money, and then the political will to make a stadium happen.

Maybe it’s only a 35k stadium like Northwestern is building ($800M construction cost not including the land BTW).

Building anything away from campus doesn’t solve much of anything.

Look, I know its a long shot but if they bought up the homes just north of Mahoney/Pearson there are a lot of creative ways to get a stadium built. Obviously that would require years of acquisitions, lots of money, and then the political will to make a stadium happen.

Maybe it’s only a 35k stadium like Northwestern is building ($800M construction cost not including the land BTW).

The OB was "away from campus" (6.5 miles) and that worked quite well. UM isn't purchasing nearby homes in CG to build a stadium. Never. Radakovich has his plate full right now with the behind the scenes work with other ACC AD's in the pending conference realignment. Once that is in the rearview window and UM is in the SEC or Big10 ... then he might be able to focus some effort on REALISTIC alternative sites.

The U of Miami Architecture program could be one key in coming up with a plan that Miami Dade County could get behind. I came across a Miami Dade redevelopment study ... "Poinciana Park Study" ... that covered the potential of redeveloping 115 acres (38 parcels comprising 37 acres owned by the County) into an improved "mixed use" area with commercial and residential facets.

The 115 acres covered are in "North Central" Miami Dade:
-NW 79th St is the north boundary
-NW 22nd Ave is the East boundary
-FEC RR tracks are the Southern boundary
-NW 27th Ave is the West boundary

It is ONE example of an area that the architecture program could provide the County with an attractive mixed use proposal for a stadium, parking garages (possibly with restaurants / cafes on the street levels), commercial / residential developments that would provide an attractive, upscale destination option for that land.

Advertisement
The U of Miami Architecture program could be one key in coming up with a plan that Miami Dade County could get behind. I came across a Miami Dade redevelopment study ... "Poinciana Park Study" ... that covered the potential of redeveloping 115 acres (38 parcels comprising 37 acres owned by the County) into an improved "mixed use" area with commercial and residential facets.

The 115 acres covered are in "North Central" Miami Dade:
-NW 79th St is the north boundary
-NW 22nd Ave is the East boundary
-FEC RR tracks are the Southern boundary
-NW 27th Ave is the West boundary

It is ONE example of an area that the architecture program could provide the County with an attractive mixed use proposal for a stadium, parking garages (possibly with restaurants / cafes on the street levels), commercial / residential developments that would provide an attractive, upscale destination option for that land.

Are you crazy? Everyone knows that Pitbull owns that Popeye's on NW 79th Street and he'll never sell it! And you can't possibly tear down existing sub-standard housing to build better housing somewhere else, that's IMPOSSIBLE in Miami...

Yeah, I'm a big fan of harnessing the brain power at the School of Architecture. When I went to UM in the 1980s and 1990s, I know that the students frequently did "charettes", which were projects where they would conceptualize alternate use of a particular area of land.

Good stuff, sir. People need to think big, instead of arguing for the City of Miami/Dade County to perpetuate miles and miles of ****** old housing and crappy commercial development consisting of fast food stores and gas stations (and no Publix stores).

Seriously, take a look at a map sometime. There's a big area from Biscayne Boulevard on the east to LeJeune on the west, from the Dolphin Expressway on the south to Ives Dairy Road on the north where there simply are NO Publix locations.

But, yes, we should all be scared of redeveloping central Dade County. Because cost. And there are already crappy buildings there.

Let's keep the poor-ohs poor, and let's only tear down stuff when it can be replaced by million-dollar residences and billion-dollar commercial development!

I don’t think you’re not one of the guys clamoring for a new stadium but why would UM a) want a stadium that isn’t close to campus once again and b) one that there is practically zero chance UM “owns” (ie: don’t get all these mythical financial benefits people seem to think comes from a stadium).

A stadium on campus is the only solution … no matter how long it takes.
I agree 100%. It will take hundreds of millions of dollars in investment by UM to be an owner annd I don’t see that happening.

Also I can assure that a stadium will never be built on campus. Never. The citizens of the city of coral gables will revolt and there is no room

A Stadium on campus will never, ever happen. Not on 220 occupied acres. Even if Hypothetically UM had an extra 75-100 acres...there's no possible way on earth that the Old & substantial "Old Gables Money" would ever let it happen.
Btw the old part is gone. The typical gables resident is now Mid-40s or mid-50s at least 50% Hispanic. Very different than 20 years ago. And we would all revolt regardless of demographic

Advertisement
Btw the old part is gone. The typical gables resident is now Mid-40s or mid-50s at least 50% Hispanic. Very different than 20 years ago. And we would all revolt regardless of demographic
Isn't there a city ordinance there for height of structure as well???.. If I'm correct UM had to deal with that while plans were drawn for the new athletic facility... At least I thought I read something about it...

Are you crazy? Everyone knows that Pitbull owns that Popeye's on NW 79th Street and he'll never sell it! And you can't possibly tear down existing sub-standard housing to build better housing somewhere else, that's IMPOSSIBLE in Miami...

Yeah, I'm a big fan of harnessing the brain power at the School of Architecture. When I went to UM in the 1980s and 1990s, I know that the students frequently did "charettes", which were projects where they would conceptualize alternate use of a particular area of land.

Good stuff, sir. People need to think big, instead of arguing for the City of Miami/Dade County to perpetuate miles and miles of ****** old housing and crappy commercial development consisting of fast food stores and gas stations (and no Publix stores).

Seriously, take a look at a map sometime. There's a big area from Biscayne Boulevard on the east to LeJeune on the west, from the Dolphin Expressway on the south to Ives Dairy Road on the north where there simply are NO Publix locations.

But, yes, we should all be scared of redeveloping central Dade County. Because cost. And there are already crappy buildings there.

Let's keep the poor-ohs poor, and let's only tear down stuff when it can be replaced by million-dollar residences and billion-dollar commercial development!
There are interesting precedents and articles regarding sports venues in real estate development. "Mixed use sports developments position themselves as truly year around destinations". "Incorporating hotels, offices, apartments, event spaces and developing a best in class neighborhood". One Daytona is somewhat similar ... adding residential units (apartments / condos) to the shopping, restaurant, hotel, and event venues initially established across from the Speedway. Miami, being an international tourist mecca, could certainly take it up a notch.

There are interesting precedents and articles regarding sports venues in real estate development. "Mixed use sports developments position themselves as truly year around destinations". "Incorporating hotels, offices, apartments, event spaces and developing a best in class neighborhood". One Daytona is somewhat similar ... adding residential units (apartments / condos) to the shopping, restaurant, hotel, and event venues initially established across from the Speedway. Miami, being an international tourist mecca, could certainly take it up a notch.
you are right, that is what inter miami is doing and what Ruiz wants to do a tropical, because the stadium itself doesn't appear to cash flow on its own.

ross also did the same at HRS

U keep trying to use tricky word play.

I said WITHOUT THEIR OWN? Now, how in tf do u take that statement & say “We owned?” No where did I say they “owned” the OB. Surely u understand the difference between the two terminologies & usage, don’t u?

Just in case ur degree is not helping u in this distinction, let me expand on my examples I provided:

If any one where to ask, do USC have their “own” stadium, the consensus would be, yes, they have their own stadium. It doesn’t mean they, themselves OWN the stadium; The City of LA & County of LA are the actual OWNERS of the stadium.

If anyone were to ask do UCLA have their own stadium, the consensus would say, yes; UCLA have their own stadium. Again, this does not indicate UCLA OWNING the stadium; The City of Pasadena & The Rose Bowl Committee actually OWN the stadium! Do u see the difference??

The Miami Hurricanes stadium was The OB; if any one were to ask, did the Hurricanes have their own stadium, the consensus would say The OB was their stadium. No one said CHIT about Miami owning the stadium.

Like stop trying to be tricky w/ ur bull chit to try make a point. U know exactly wtf I’m saying.

The Miami Hurricanes was THE FIRST patrons of The OB since its very inception, therefore that was our stadium despite if The City owned it.
Why do you think the city of Miami built the UM a stadium, when UM was just starting to play football?
Wasn't fiscally responsible, or was it?
We had a winter festival ending with a football game.
Today, Dade County & or CG, don't give a **** about UM.
IF A Pro team wants a new playpen, watch how fast it happens,,with long term bonds, and property owners bearing the cost..

Advertisement
Why do you think the city of Miami built the UM a stadium, when UM was just starting to play football?
Wasn't fiscally responsible, or was it?
We had a winter festival ending with a football game.
Today, Dade County & or CG, don't give a **** about UM.
IF A Pro team wants a new playpen, watch how fast it happens,,with long term bonds, and property owners bearing the cost..
Robbie paid for everything on his own for no help from the county.

Advertisement

So now you want us to have a stadium that holds less than FAU and FIU and also has no real way in or out without causing an absolute traffic disaster.

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Advertisement
Back