MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

TP is close to being a dead issue. The residents and local pols will oppose it vigorously. You got to come up with somewhere else
So now it's no longer dead, just close to being dead. Progress!!!

Again, the political landscape is what it is, today. And it is constantly changing. If nobody (ever) can find a way to sell to "the residents and local pols" that 65% of a drastically upgraded park is better than 100% of a continually ****** park, then I guess you are right. Doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult of a thing to do, though I'm not in sales.

be3cb2eb25f649e51961caf3b26db682.jpg

Advertisement
OCCC, where, ideally-speaking, would you have it built?

On campus.

Of course, that’s an impossibility, it’ll never happen, so I really don’t know. It’s not going to get built in our lifetimes anyway. I will just keep going to Hard Rock, which is easy street for me, and I’ll keep going until they tell me the games are somewhere else. I don’t have the $1 billion+ that it will take to build a new stadium so I’m basically a passenger on this bus, as most of us are.

So now it's no longer dead, just close to being dead. Progress!!!

Again, the political landscape is what it is, today. And it is constantly changing. If nobody (ever) can find a way to sell to "the residents and local pols" that 65% of a drastically upgraded park is better than 100% of a continually ****** park, then I guess you are right. Doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult of a thing to do, though I'm not in sales.

be3cb2eb25f649e51961caf3b26db682.jpg

I think most people in the know believe it won’t happen at TP. Most residents in that area would be much more worried about traffic and other urban issues, so much so, that it would negate any improvements that may be made to the park. Probably most people that live in that area don’t use the park that much, if they’re being honest, but I can tell you that there’s already grassroots movements to head this off at the pass, if it ever even becomes even slightly feasible. Ask @rsa coral gables

correction

I don't understand why you are so factually correct on some threads, and then misstate things on this thread.

It's not "500 houses".

The area required is immediately east of the Marlins Stadium. Four MUNICIPAL parking garages are already in place. You know the area well, I know you do, we are talking about 50-60 ****** 3-story apartment buildings, plus some commercial buildings along NW 12th Avenue and NW 7th Street.

Very do-able.

1683330071452.png

Last edited:
The medical campus is downtown and Marine Campus is on Key Biscayne; we don't need a football stadium in coral gables. Buy up about 50 houses in little Havana (if that isn't already underway) and build next to the OB (Marlins Park).

I have put forth this idea previously.

1. Marlins Park currently sits on 33 acres. Roughly half is the "stadium" portion and roughly half is the "4 parking garages" portion.
2. There are about 32 acres due east of the Marlins Stadium (over 8 city blocks) that could be redeveloped for the football stadium and SURFACE parking.
3. There are over 11 acres due west of the Marlins Stadium that could be redeveloped for SURFACE parking.
4. The 4 parking garages are CITY-OWNED, not Marlins-owned.
5. There is EXISTING proximity to 836, I-95, and MetroRail.

Now, you simply work towards the connection of the EXISTING Med School campus and the NEW stadium complex, which has four (mostly unusued) citiy-owned parking garages.

Why?

Because the Medical campus is growing, and it is a HIGH-VALUE-JOB-CREATOR.

People will try to tell you UM is "selling land". True, in some locations. NOT TRUE at the Med Campus, which has doubled in size since I was at UM.

And as UHealth grows, and as medical research grows, and as the money pours in, WE NEED MORE SPACE.

An obvious solution is to acquire land south of 836, as the campus is boxed in by I-95 to the east and Jackson to the north.

Immediately south of 836 is a Winn Dixie. Seriously? And the Miami River is easily bridged by a pedestian bridge that could link the two areas north and south of the river. Some of the space could be housing for Med students and staff.

Does NOT have to be fully funded by the City of Miami. Will need their cooperation for some land acquisition, zoning, roadway improvements, perhaps a municipal bond underwriting.

Jobs. HIGH PAYING JOBS. People living downtown, instead of in the suburbs. Redevelopment.

1683332198716.png

Advertisement
I don't understand why you are so factually correct on some threads, and then misstate things on this thread.

It's not "500 houses".

The area required is immediately east of the Marlins Stadium. Four MUNICIPAL parking garages are already in place. You know the area well, I know you do, we are talking about 50-60 ****** 3-story apartment buildings, plus some commercial buildings along NW 12th Avenue and NW 7th Street.

Very do-able.

View attachment 237450
the short answer is i am right on the other threads AND this thread.

this idea intrigues me. those two buildings on the 12th ave called SLAM are charter schools that belong to Academica/Pitbull and are not likely on the table.

you would have to either (a) use eminent domain, take the blocks to the east of Marlin stadium and give it to UM/developer on the strength of Kelo v. New London (wrongly decided IMO) or (b) assemble them privately. the latter is very unlikely because it would take forever and private property owners would be unreasonable (remember when the Mas family tried to buy the child care center property to the west of Marlins stadium to build the stadium for inter miami (made a lot of sense) and ONE property owner whose property was worth a million plus wanted TEN MILLION and it killed the deal. that would happen here.

i dont know whether a stadium fits in between marlins stadium and 12th avenue to the west. looks too narrow but i guess it may work. who has a few billion laying around?

this idea intrigues me. those two buildings on the 12th ave called SLAM are charter schools that belong to Academica/Pitbull and are not likely on the table.

you would have to either (a) use eminent domain, take the blocks to the east of Marlin stadium and give it to UM/developer on the strength of Kelo v. New London (wrongly decided IMO) or (b) assemble them privately. the latter is very unlikely because it would take forever and private property owners would be unreasonable (remember when the Mas family tried to buy the child care center property to the west of Marlins stadium to build the stadium for inter miami (made a lot of sense) and ONE property owner whose property was worth a million plus wanted TEN MILLION and it killed the deal. that would happen here.

i dont know whether a stadium fits in between marlins stadium and 12th avenue to the west. looks too narrow but i guess it may work. who has a few billion laying around?

I don't know the character of every piece of commercial property on NW 12th Avenue. Having said that, Pitbull is a businessman, I'm sure he will engage in a conversation that involves the term "like kind exchange".

As for the apartment buildings, you've seen them before. They were crappy 20 years ago. Or are you going to tell me that some kind-hearted and not-at-all-rapacious real estate developer has FIXED UP all those ****** apartments? You know, out of the kindness of his heart...

Eminent domain. Use the UM School of Architecture to do a charette in order to come up with a solution (to be built a few blocks away) that addresses low income housing in a way that is superior to horrible concrete-block structures built in the 1940s and 1950s.

Try to be positive, friend. Should we just sit around for another few decades as the central part of non-downtown-Miami continues to decay? Or can we move forward with helping those in our community at lower wage levels to find better housing within a five-mile radius of downtown?

Having grown up as a dirt-poor right-leaning self-sufficient individual who put myself through college when my high-school-degreed parents were unable to assist me, I am most bothered when the "status quo" response to horrible inner city housing is just to leave the ****** buildings in place while expecting "capitalism" to deliver a superior solution.

Build better housing. Build upward. Everything else in Miami Beach, Coral Gables, downtown Miami is getting TALLER. Figure out a way to build better housing nearby, and get rid of the terrible apartment buildings that nobody would choose to live in if they weren't forced to do so because of income level.

Nobody is suggesting to use eminent domain to displace people forever. Let's use it to clear those 8 blocks and then commit to building better alternatives.

Advertisement
Let me try asking you a different question (or questions), @rsa coral gables ...I'm gonna get Socratic on your ***...

Do you think UM makes a lot of money for UM via medical research and government grants related to medical research?

Do you see that trend continuing and growing?

Do you envision the Med campus continuing to grow, even beyond the point in 2023 where the Med campus has doubled from the time that you and I entered UM Law?

Do you see a future where UM will continue to acquire more land around the oddly-shaped Med campus, in order to continue to grow and bring in more revenue?

Do you think that there will be a cost to this land acquisition?

Where do you expect that UM will acquire additional contiguous land for ongoing Med campus expansion?

Think big, my friend. More problem-solving, less obstacle-identification.

We've already hit the Dolphin Expressway.

Next step - we take the Winn Dixie...

After that, we cross the Rubicon (Miami River)...

Then, it's just a few blocks to NW 7th Avenue!

Who's with me?!

1683341632013.png

What about where the UM Rosenstiel Marine campus is? Traffic and logistics no go? Any boating to that campus?

Advertisement

I don’t think you’re not one of the guys clamoring for a new stadium but why would UM a) want a stadium that isn’t close to campus once again and b) one that there is practically zero chance UM “owns” (ie: don’t get all these mythical financial benefits people seem to think comes from a stadium).

A stadium on campus is the only solution … no matter how long it takes.

I don’t think you’re not one of the guys clamoring for a new stadium but why would UM a) want a stadium that isn’t close to campus once again and b) one that there is practically zero chance UM “owns” (ie: don’t get all these mythical financial benefits people seem to think comes from a stadium).

A Stadium on campus will never, ever happen. Not on 220 occupied acres. Even if Hypothetically UM had an extra 75-100 acres...there's no possible way on earth that the Old & substantial "Old Gables Money" would ever let it happen.

Advertisement

Theoretically you are correct but as stated multiple times in here it more than likely will never happen....

Let me try asking you a different question (or questions), @rsa coral gables ...I'm gonna get Socratic on your ***...

Do you think UM makes a lot of money for UM via medical research and government grants related to medical research?

Do you see that trend continuing and growing?

Do you envision the Med campus continuing to grow, even beyond the point in 2023 where the Med campus has doubled from the time that you and I entered UM Law?

Do you see a future where UM will continue to acquire more land around the oddly-shaped Med campus, in order to continue to grow and bring in more revenue?

Do you think that there will be a cost to this land acquisition?

Where do you expect that UM will acquire additional contiguous land for ongoing Med campus expansion?

Think big, my friend. More problem-solving, less obstacle-identification.
Answering the question with a question(s). Apparently, TheOriginalCane is an educated man. Now, I really don't like him. Ha!

Advertisement
Back