MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

To give context, the smallest, yet loudest NFL stadium is Century Link Field in Seattle. It sits 68k, but sits on 30 Acres. The newest & most expensive NFL Stadium, SoFi, sits 70,240 & it sits on 60 Acres.

HRS is an old design. You don’t need 100+ Acres to build a great football venue w/ modern designs, now.
Are you saying HRS (just the stadium) takes up 5 times more surface area than Century Link Field and 2.5 times bigger than SoFi? Or are you saying the entire lot (including parking) is 5 times the size of Century Link and 2.5 times bigger than SoFi?

Advertisement
Whenever a person feels the need to boast about “credentials” on a sport’s internet board to make themselves sound smarter than they really r, the best thing to do is put them on ignore. @Tru C

Actions speak louder than words, so if someone says they manage a billion $ in assets, continuing this trope of ROI as a means to justify their argument, but the market is saying something totally different, then who are we to believe? (Market meaning Sports Franchises &/or Universities that are continually building new facilities, stadiums, &/or spending mega millions to reinvest in such assets).

ROI in sports, particularly collegiate sports, is not something u can always tangibly place a monetary value on; it’s not always a matter of dollars & cents that makes sense. Here’s a prime example: Why have boosters for decades paid for recruits under the table? Where’s their ROI for giving a kid 5 figures+, homes for parents, vehicles, etc? Their ROI was & have been for their sports programs to succeed, & that success leads to their Alma Mater/favorite team garnishing more funding, sponsorship, top end recruits, championship probabilities, etc. etc.

So what’s the potential ROI for Miami, if, they were to have their own stadium?
-Control
-Recruiting
-Revenue Stream
-Perception
-Opportunities

Currently as tenants, none of the above applies. Furthermore, let’s say Ross’ stadium lands in the hands of a new owner/ownership group who decides they want to change the original terms of agreement after the season is up? What then?

Sure, HRS is fine, for now, but HRS is nothing more than a place for us to play ball. That’s the extent of its functionality for this University. It doesn’t matter how many ancillary events that’s thrown there that are bragged about by the pro-HRS crowd; none of that benefits The University financially or recruiting, it only benefits Ross.

If a certain fool doesn’t believe owning or managing the place you play in is important or yields a ROI, then I would advise them to pls hit up SC’s AD and see why they wanted so desperately FOR YEARS to become the operating managers of The LA Coliseum. I would implore them to contact USF’s AD, and ask them why are they choosing to build a stadium vs. continuing to play at a stadium that’s hosted 3 SBs.

Anyways, good brotha, u keep up the fine fight. What I’ve noticed w/ some of those in Miami’s fan base is that they r extremely out of touch w/ current trends, selfish, &/or have extremely short sights. This shouldn’t surprise me just revisiting so many other threads. Thank goodness we have an AD that actually understands the importance of all of this, and how if possible, having ur own stadium is more of an asset than a liability.

Last edited:
Are you saying HRS (just the stadium) takes up 5 times more surface area than Century Link Field and 2.5 times bigger than SoFi? Or are you saying the entire lot (including parking) is 5 times the size of Century Link and 2.5 times bigger than SoFi?

The entire lot.

It's exactly like you said. I don't know anything about Real Estate or about Miami, because I don't live there.

I didn't know that was a prerequisite to have a conversation or opinion on a message board. But apparently, your "credentials" permit you to be condescending. Most people I know with your kind of "credentials" don't feel the need to try to big league someone.
Hopefully you at least stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night like the sneaker guy that doesn't live in Miami, doesn't have season tickets, hasn't been to a game in HRS since the renovations, didn't attend UM, has no real estate experience, doesn't know the meaning of ROI, etc; yet KNOWS what UM should spend $1B+ on.

Maybe if sneaker guy made some donations to UM and got the weekly phone calls from the business school, graduate programs, athletics department, and alumni association asking for money he'd realize that $1B++ for a stadium not on campus is really far down on the priority list.

Last edited:
The entire lot.
Well, HRS is roughly the same size as those other stadiums that you mentioned. It could have been built on the same size lot as the Seattle stadium. I'm not sure why you're saying stadium design has anything to do with the lot sizes. The difference is parking. HRS has it.....and plenty of it, even with the tennis courts and F1 added over the past few years. It's actually one of the advantages that it has over the stadiums you mentioned. It's location is obviously an issue regarding where the university is located, but parking and freeway access is its main advantage.

They do need to look at acquiring land to build their own stadium, but yes, parking and access to the stadium will need to be taken into account as well. I don't know what parts of town those other stadiums are located in, but the fans do need to park somewhere.

Advertisement
There is a ****** School of some kind near where I grew up in New Jersey. My Mom still lives in the house I grew up in. I really didn't know about it when I was young. My Mom said that recently groups of ****** people actually came to her home, knocked on the door, and tried to make offers to buy her home. They were doing the same to the neighbors. They are trying to expand so they want to buy up the properties surrounding the school. Basically, they aren't waiting until properties are "available". Rich folks with real estate aspirations don't just say "aw shoot, there is nothing available." Sorry for pulling you in Rell lmao. They probably started on this endeavor year. My mother said no, but I am sure they are going to keep trying and i am sure others have said yes and I am sure they see this as something they will keep at it until they have attained what they need, even if it takes a decade.
Buying the land surrounding campus, to build a stadium would probably take decades, and hundreds of millions if not BILLIONS of dollars. Why? Because it's Coral Gables, and those people have legit money and political influence. I've told this story once on this board, but it fits here. Throughout undergrad, grad and law school, I lived in a duplex on Benevento, which if you know CG is within minutes of campus(I used to literally run to class back in my law school days, and could easily make it with time to spare in under 8 minutes). That house was your run of the mill college house, it is worth 1.2 million minimum. Now imagine buying enough land for a stadium in that area. Exactly.

That's not even including getting CG to sign off on any plan, which they have made it clear for decades that they won't. You can point to numerous schools that are able to buy the land around them, and few if any of them are facing the same challenges UMiami does. This is the issue a lot of our fans refuse to recognize. There are a lot and I mean A LOT of things that have to happen for Miami to even have a decent shot at building a stadium near campus, or close enough to where it's a legitimate upgrade from HRS, and we aren't even close to meeting any of them. We can all hope and dream, but honestly, it's likely that all of this is mental *********ion, nothing more.

Well, HRS is roughly the same size as those other stadiums that you mentioned. It could have been built on the same size lot as the Seattle stadium. I'm not sure why you're saying stadium design has anything to do with the lot sizes. The difference is parking. HRS has it.....and plenty of it, even with the tennis courts and F1 added over the past few years. It's actually one of the advantages that it has over the stadiums you mentioned. It's location is obviously an issue regarding where the university is located, but parking and freeway access is its main advantage.

They do need to look at acquiring land to build their own stadium, but yes, parking and access to the stadium will need to be taken into account as well. I don't know what parts of town those other stadiums are located in, but the fans do need to park somewhere.

Do u think…u know what, nvm. Ya’ll enjoy urselves in this thread.

Advertisement
There’s a difference between having to brave traffic to get to work and dealing with even worse traffic for an optional event. Ever seen the traffic issues leaving the Watsco Center after a big primetime game? Now multiply that by 5. If you think that wouldn’t dissuade some from coming, I don’t know what to tell you.
I'm not sure if you agreeing with me but we're saying the same thing. Yes I've left the Wat many times and have seen that traffic.

over under 100 pages?
This is simply boredom driven ... while we wait to see what happens with the transfer portal and recruiting.

What sort of real estate staff does UM have? Takes a bit of dedication, planning and capital to assemble land. Especially in a community like Miami Dade County where the population has grown from 1.6 million in 1990 to 2.7 million in 2022, a 63% growth, and it continues to grow at roughly 40-50,000 per year.

The competition with fully dedicated real estate developers is a huge factor. Companies like Lennar and Century Homes were doing full SECTION (640 acre) size residential subdivisions in Miami Dade back in the 90's and early 2000's. Then the cow pastures were gone in what is now Doral and West Dade (built out to Krome Ave the Urban Development Boundary) and they added vertical development (condo towers) to their product offerings. They are still active building single family projects in Miami Dade but their projects now are smaller in area as assembling properties is such a challenge. They continue large subdivision developments in Central and North Florida and other states, where land availability isn's a limiting factor.

Whenever a person feels the need to boast about “credentials” on a sport’s internet board to make themselves sound smarter than they really r, the best thing to do is put them on ignore. @Tru C

Actions speak louder than words, so if someone says they manage a billion $ in assets, continuing this trope of ROI as a means to justify their argument, but the market is saying something totally different, then who are we to believe? (Market meaning Sports Franchises &/or Universities that are continually building new facilities, stadiums, &/or spending mega millions to reinvest in such assets).

ROI in sports, particularly collegiate sports, is not something u can always tangibly place a monetary value on; it’s not always a matter of dollars & cents that makes sense. Here’s a prime example: Why have boosters for decades paid for recruits under the table? Where’s their ROI for giving a kid 5 figures+, homes for parents, vehicles, etc? Their ROI was & have been for their sports programs to succeed, & that success leads to their Alma Mater/favorite team garnishing more funding, sponsorship, top end recruits, championship probabilities, etc. etc.

So what’s the potential ROI for Miami, if, they were to have their own stadium?
-Control
-Recruiting
-Revenue Stream
-Perception
-Opportunities

Currently as tenants, none of the above applies. Furthermore, let’s say Ross’ stadium lands in the hands of a new owner/ownership group who decides they want to change the original terms of agreement after the season is up? What then?

Sure, HRS is fine, for now, but HRS is nothing more than a place for us to play ball. That’s the extent of its functionality for this University. It doesn’t matter how many ancillary events that’s thrown there that are bragged about by the pro-HRS crowd; none of that benefits The University financially or recruiting, it only benefits Ross.

If a certain fool doesn’t believe owning or managing the place you play in is important or yields a ROI, then I would advise them to pls hit up SC’s AD and see why they wanted so desperately FOR YEARS to become the operating managers of The LA Coliseum. I would implore them to contact USF’s AD, and ask them why are they choosing to build a stadium vs. continuing to play at a stadium that’s hosted 3 SBs.

Anyways, good brotha, u keep up the fine fight. What I’ve noticed w/ some of those in Miami’s fan base is that they r extremely out of touch w/ current trends, selfish, &/or have extremely short sights. This shouldn’t surprise me just revisiting so many other threads. Thank goodness we have an AD that actually understands the importance of all of this, and how if possible, having ur own stadium is more of an asset than a liability.

Werd. Do a search under my user name and the keyword "security" and tell me what you see I've gone on about over and over. Program security. It's everything. We have no control over our ability to continue at HRS, and we are currently the 4th most important tenant to the owner. Ross will be dead in 5-10 years too. We literally have no idea what or who is coming down the pike. It's scary as ****.

Advertisement
Joining the SEC/B10 is not dependent upon a stadium and any additional revenues from that potential move would be plowed back into the sports programs (including adding more sports like softball and women's lacrosse).

The reality is that the University should be buying all of the properties that come on the market surrounding the campus. These will most likely be single family homes which the university can turn into graduate student/professor housing and rent out to cover the carry costs. Over a LONG period of time the campus could then be expanded to MAYBE one day include an on campus stadium.

View attachment 237006

Last I checked they were selling a University-owned single family home on San Amaro not far from the Hecht. They also sold the old University President's residence on a canal in Gables Estates, vacated the OB, passed on buying Mount Sinai, and were idle when Miami Arena and Miami Herald sites were sold...

UM had their chances over the years to buy plenty of real estate close to campus and downtown but, despite having successful developers on the BOT, they've been sellers for a very long time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back