MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
I never said it would be on public land either - merely pointed out that they are leaving their conveniently located super bowl hosting stadium and spending a lot of money to do so.

No, I have stated, 50x, we'd have to buy land.

The rest is just dreck I don't have to respond to.

No, we shouldn't do any of that.

But, again, if the argument simply boils down to pearl-clutching at hypothetical numbers, there really isn't much more to say. I say it can be done (as evidenced by every other stadium ever built in the history of man), you say it can't - fine.

The ROI argument is by far the sheepish of them all. Why would so many professional franchise & Universities avidly build, look to build, or reinvest in ones they currently have?

Forget ticket sales, parking revenue for a minute; what about the various sponsor revenue? Being off-site, other events will have opportunities to provide additional revenue.

Some things have to just make sense after a while vs. continually to rely upon a straw man’s argument. Again, I want to point out the facilities thread where we had other straw arguments to oppose improving on them. In College Football, especially, u’re trying to recruit….all the bells & whistles matter.

Is it worthy of hosting the Super Bowl every 4 years or so? Really?

Since it opened 36 years ago, Joe Robbie Stadium has hosted the Super Bowl six times. And the earliest it could get the Super Bowl a 7th time would be 2026, though San Francisco is favored for that one.

1989 - the year of the infamous riots...kinda scared the NFL into not rushing back until
1995 - and then we finally got a "4 years later return" in
1999 - by then the stadium was already looking so-so, the Marlins had settled in, so it wasn't until
2007 - when the stadium started to spruce itself up again, and then shockingly
2010 - only three years later, the stadium got another shot after the NYC "west side" stadium project fell through, and then
2020 - where it took TEN YEARS and a massive stadium renovation to bring Joe Robbie back up to a minimal level that many other stadiums had surpassed

Congratulations, Hard Rock, you finally spent enough money to make an old stadium Super-Bowl-worthy again, and then you started to wreck it again with the tennis center, and the Dolphins practice facility, and the F1 track...
Point being it is a Super Bowl stadium. Yes the stadium owner spent hundreds of millions of dollars making it a world class facility that the university of Miami benefits from without the construction bill.

Please explain to me how the tennis center, dolphins practice facility and F1 track has anything to do with football games and how it takes away from the fan experience when attending a football game.

The ROI argument is by far the sheepish of them all. Why would so many professional franchise & Universities avidly build, look to build, or reinvest in ones they currently have?

Forget ticket sales, parking revenue for a minute; what about the various sponsor revenue? Being off-site, other events will have opportunities to provide additional revenue.

Some things have to just make sense after a while vs. continually to rely upon a straw man’s argument. Again, I want to point out the facilities thread where we had other straw arguments to oppose improving on them. In College Football, especially, u’re trying to recruit….all the bells & whistles matter.
I really don't think you understand the concept of ROI so we'll just agree to disagree.

Look at how many build, look to build, or reinvest solely with their own money. Typically, it is public money and team money in a 50/50 or worse split (advantage to the team). The team typically gets the vast majority of the revenue with the city/county/state getting breadcrumbs and the right to say the "name your mascot" didn't move to another city. So the teams typically do get a tremendous ROI.

I do hope UM has a long-term plan of acquiring land and building its own stadium because it would be a tremendous advantage to have the gameday revenues to themselves as well as controlling their own destiny instead of relying on others. That being said, it should have been in planning since 2007 with literally a decade or 2 of fund raising to get the money needed. Hopefully they can get enough land to build a mini-campus so they can have classes in the stadium during the week to get some extra use out of it because most stadium events will go to HRS (or future Dolphin) stadium.

Advertisement
Advertisement
42 pages of nonsense started by someone with 3 posts who started a debate and took off. and we are not one inch closer to a stadium.

Car Drive GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

Advertisement
Thing is, when you rent, you cant say its your forever home. You are allowed to be there until the owner decides otherwise.

I have a rental property. My renters have been there almost a decade now. But eventually, I may sell, and they may have to find another place to live.

Professional franchises in football? **** happens. The Fins were at the OB and then moved up north. Who is to say they don’t move again?

I think many folks are SHORT SIGHTED. Only care about themselves and what happens in their lifetimes. You see it with the climate issue.

MAYBE the immediate ROI isnt ideal? but 25-30 years from now, with a winning program in your OWN building, you are better off. Your future is more secure financially and in many other ways.

Its time to be proactive instead of crossing that bridge when you get to it.

Thing is, when you rent, you cant say its your forever home. You are allowed to be there until the owner decides otherwise.

I have a rental property. My renters have been there almost a decade now. But eventually, I may sell, and they may have to find another place to live.

Professional franchises in football? **** happens. The Fins were at the OB and then moved up north. Who is to say they don’t move again?

I think many folks are SHORT SIGHTED. Only care about themselves and what happens in their lifetimes. You see it with the climate issue.

MAYBE the immediate ROI isnt ideal? but 25-30 years from now, with a winning program in your OWN building, you are better off. Your future is more secure financially and in many other ways.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Point being it is a Super Bowl stadium. Yes the stadium owner spent hundreds of millions of dollars making it a world class facility that the university of Miami benefits from without the construction bill.

Please explain to me how the tennis center, dolphins practice facility and F1 track has anything to do with football games and how it takes away from the fan experience when attending a football game.
They have to walk a little more, which is hilarious, considering that the people whining the most about those changes forget that even if Miami built a stadium at Tropical Park(Which is extremely unlikely to begin with), there's a high probability they would have to walk just as far from parking, due to the unlikeliness of there being enough for a decent sized stadium at that site.

Our fans are spoiled and most of them don't realize that even with the flaws evident with Hard Rock, it is light years ahead of the crap the typical college football fan deals with on Gameday. Take it from the people on this thread that have experienced road games, owning isn't that important, if you have to deal with the crap some of our peer fans tolerate.

Again, barring some Act of God making land near campus available, AND a group of donors making over a billion dollars available(Because that's how much it's going to cost to build a stadium worth a crap) there isn't a place for UMiami to build to where it makes sense. Renting a stadium is FAR DIFFERENT than renting a house.

In a perfect world, we would all love for the 'Canes to have their own home, but some of us live in REALITY.

Renting a stadium is FAR DIFFERENT than renting a house.

No, not for the specific REASONS I am laying out, its not.

As a renter, you ultimately have no control over that property. Its a false sense of security. If the Fins moved to another part of Florida, as they have already done in their history, does Miami get a say on if Miami owns HRS? How much of a say did Miami get with the OB?

Can Miami put a museum or do other Cane specific renovations at HRS without permission?

Advertisement
Back