MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Not 89 ND or FSU 94 Levels..
Kind of splitting hairs really. The Va Tech and ND environments in 2017 were crazy. The fan split of the ND game was the most lopsided I have ever seen for a major OOC game. Sure looked like 90% UM fans in the stadium. If UM can win again, 10 games regular season, that kind of environment is a legit home field advantage. Opponents just don't want to play in that environment. Coach Kelley couldn't wait to get back on the bus and get out of there.

Advertisement
what age range are you in?

0-10?
10-20?
20-30?
Ah, so there are more brain busters. And for this one I can't even pull a meaningless answer out of my ***.

None of the above. 31 in June.

How old are you? Over 60? Because, if so, statistically speaking you won't even be alive when the shovels hit dirt on the totally made-up plot, located on the land purchased with my totally made-up money, in my totally made-up timeframe.

15 years is a long time, though. If, in 2010, one was in a west facing room at the Delano in Vegas, and someone told that person that by 2025 there would be 3 professional sports stadiums visible out that window, most would scoff. Yet, here we are.

Uh, this is not true. That is a massive overstatement.

The main campus of UM is 453 acres.

Hard Rock is on 160 acres of land. And we would not need a full 160 acres (as the FOOTBALL operations of Hard Rock no longer require either).

The baseball A's just purchased 49 acres of land in Las Vegas (and may add another 8 acres). Yes, it's baseball, they don't tailgate the way that college football does, but that's just for comparative purposes.

I have continued to state that ANY stadium build for UM football should be a mix of parking-garage parking and surface parking.

I don’t think you’re saying that a stadium on campus is feasible, are you?

Kind of splitting hairs really. The Va Tech and ND environments in 2017 were crazy. The fan split of the ND game was the most lopsided I have ever seen for a major OOC game. Sure looked like 90% UM fans in the stadium. If UM can win again, 10 games regular season, that kind of environment is a legit home field advantage. Opponents just don't want to play in that environment. Coach Kelley couldn't wait to get back on the bus and get out of there.
Lou Holtz said he NEVER heard noise like he heard in 89....and he went to Michigan every other yr.

Ah, so there are more brain busters. And for this one I can't even pull a meaningless answer out of my ***.

None of the above. 31 in June.

How old are you? Over 60? Because, if so, statistically speaking you won't even be alive when the shovels hit dirt on the totally made-up plot, located on the land purchased with my totally made-up money, in my totally made-up timeframe.

15 years is a long time, though. If, in 2010, one was in a west facing room at the Delano in Vegas, and someone told that person that by 2025 there would be 3 professional sports stadiums visible out that window, most would scoff. Yet, here we are.
brush up on multiple choice answers. you are 30 so you fit in the last category.

final question. do you live or have you lived in miami?

finally, i'll be alive in 2033 (i should be), which reminds me of an ******* super left winger (redundant) who told me that a certain law would be passed just after all conservatives (me) would be dead. the ****** died of a heart attack the following year. i didn't mean to gloat just a little.

Advertisement
Yes, how dare I think the university owes much of its existence and improvements to donations from major benefactors and sponsors? I mean every building on campus was built that way, but why expect it for a football stadium?

Not every building was built that way. For instance, the Merrick Building was funded with the on-campus dirt that was sold to the Rickenbacker Causeway. The excavated dirt turned an on-campus canal into "Lake" Osceola.

True story.

Most of the older UM buildings were not funded by major benefactors (though renovations HAVE been). A lot of the newer UM buildings WERE funded by major benefactors.

The dorms are largely self-funded.

brush up on multiple choice answers. you are 30 so you fit in the last category.

final question. do you live or have you lived in miami?

finally, i'll be alive in 2033 (i should be), which reminds me of an ******* super left winger (redundant) who told me that a certain law would be passed just after all conservatives (me) would be dead. the ****** died of a heart attack the following year. i didn't mean to gloat just a little.
If you want an exact answer then you should ask a less ambiguous question, counsellor. 30.9 =/= 30.

Do you pinky-promise this is the last one? Yes. Never really lived anywhere else.

If you want an exact answer then you should ask a less ambiguous question, counsellor. 30.9 =/= 30.

Do you pinky-promise this is the last one? Yes. Never really lived anywhere else.
whatever.

your vision that money makes everything possible is somewhat true, but the limitation is money. i dont see UM putting up $1B to build a stadium at tropical, it would a dereliction of duty of the trustees.

and your comp to los vegas is very very off. here's a picture of las vegas in 2010. other than landscape, there is a significant difference in availability of land. significant. allegiant stadium is pinned to middle top.

vegas 2010.PNG

I'm pretty sure every venue tacks attendance the same way. Maybe not 40 years ago but they stopped using turnstile numbers decades ago.

Wrong.

Though you are correct that the technology exists for (most) venues to track attendance the same way, the city-owned Orange Bowl never had the people, software, or data to do that.

In ALL YEARS that we were in the Orange Bowl, the attendance numbers were "turnstile", and NOT "sales".

When we moved into Joe Robbie, it switched to "sales".

Not because of devious intent. But because the Orange Bowl was antiquated, and nobody ever spent the money to "track attendance" like more modern venues did.

Advertisement
a lot of teams in all sports do this. the marlins did this up until sherman took over and then started doing actual butts in seats. the heat do this too (if you look at their attendance all year, it says 20,000 even though 20k arent actually in the arena). most work off tickets sold.

But the Orange Bowl never did. Never had that capability.

Lou Holtz said he NEVER heard noise like he heard in 89....and he went to Michigan every other yr.
Not that it invalidates your fundamental point but as a side note, isn't "The Big House" known for being relatively quiet due to the design of the stadium? By that, I mean the seating is very horizontal in orientation so the crowd noise goes straight up in the air. Here's an article that explains what I'm describing: https://www.offtackleempire.com/2008/11/17/664073/top-five-annoying-things-a

Sound often evaporates into the air at The Big House, which has a reputation for being a relatively quiet stadium despite touting the nation's largest crowds. Because there aren't many things for the crowd noise to reflect off of, the oval-shaped bowl loses sound...

Like I said ... splitting hairs. Nobody would be looking forward to playing a good UM team with 60,000 fans in HRS. It might not top the best of all time games at the OB but it will top 98%+ of the ACC venues that we play in.

whatever.

your vision that money makes everything possible is somewhat true, but the limitation is money. i dont see UM putting up $1B to build a stadium at tropical, it would a dereliction of duty of the trustees.

and your comp to los vegas is very very off. here's a picture of las vegas in 2010. other than landscape, there is a significant difference in availability of land. significant. allegiant stadium is pinned to middle top.

View attachment 236697
Fine, I disagree - in the sense that a stadium can/should be looked at similar to any other capital/infrastructure improvement project/opportunity. Just one example - Michigan spent 250 million upgrading the Big House in 2010 and another 50 million this year. I am not sure how that money was raised, but ultimately their trustees did not see it, nor did anyone else, as a dereliction of their duties to invest in their stadium.

The availability of the land wasn't the crux of my point. Had more to do with the fact that for 50 years professional athletes weren't even allowed in Las Vegas, but today billion-dollar franchises are flocking there (readily available land probably helps, sure). But for YEARS people had been saying Las Vegas will NEVER have a professional team. All it took was enough money.

Advertisement
Not that it invalidates your fundamental point but as a side note, isn't "The Big House" known for being relatively quiet due to the design of the stadium? By that, I mean the seating is very horizontal in orientation so the crowd noise goes straight up in the air. Here's an article that explains what I'm describing: https://www.offtackleempire.com/2008/11/17/664073/top-five-annoying-things-a
It wasn't quite in 88 with 100,000 in attendance....Holtz played at many Loud stadiums during his tenure at ND. Ask the people who were at the 89 game & 2017 game (I was at both) and there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever. I can name half a dozen loud games at the OB that completely Trumps anything at HardRock.

Like I said ... splitting hairs. Nobody would be looking forward to playing a good UM team with 60,000 fans in HRS. It might not top the best of all time games at the OB but it will top 98%+ of the ACC venues that we play in.
HardRock and the OB are/were completely different in their designs. The OB was wayyyy steeper, and much closer to the field. I've been to 250+ games at the OB (Canes & Fins) and to another 75-80 at Joe Robbie/Hardrock, and the difference in decibel levels are no where close to one another. A BIG UM game at the OB...especially at night was insanely deafening.

Advertisement
It wasn't quite in 88 with 100,000 in attendance....Holtz played at many Loud stadiums during his tenure at ND. Ask the people who were at the 89 game & 2017 game (I was at both) and there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever. I can name half a dozen loud games at the OB that completely Trumps anything at HardRock.
The ND game in 2017 became a snooze-fest in the 2nd half, whereas the 89 game was sustained electricity for hours, or so I'm told (still raging about not having been there).

Wrong.

Though you are correct that the technology exists for (most) venues to track attendance the same way, the city-owned Orange Bowl never had the people, software, or data to do that.

In ALL YEARS that we were in the Orange Bowl, the attendance numbers were "turnstile", and NOT "sales".

When we moved into Joe Robbie, it switched to "sales".

Not because of devious intent. But because the Orange Bowl was antiquated, and nobody ever spent the money to "track attendance" like more modern venues did.
considering the numerous ways to sneak into the orange bowl . . .

Fine, I disagree - in the sense that a stadium can/should be looked at similar to any other capital/infrastructure improvement project/opportunity. Just one example - Michigan spent 250 million upgrading the Big House in 2010 and another 50 million this year. I am not sure how that money was raised, but ultimately their trustees did not see it, nor did anyone else, as a dereliction of their duties to invest in their stadium.

The availability of the land wasn't the crux of my point. Had more to do with the fact that for 50 years professional athletes weren't even allowed in Las Vegas, but today billion-dollar franchises are flocking there (readily available land probably helps, sure). But for YEARS people had been saying Las Vegas will NEVER have a professional team. All it took was enough money.
Do you really think the reason there were no professional teams until quite recently was due to lack of money or entrepreneurial thinking? Come on man. For decades, Vegas and Atlantic City were the gambling meccas of the country. The influence of gambling was the quickest way for your sport to lose credibility in the eyes of the fan - which is why the Black Sox were banished for a lifetime as well as Pete Rose. The NFL had its Paul Hornung and Alex Karras scandals as well. ****, 5 players were just suspended by the NFL in the past week for gambling.

What changed? The fact that more states opened up sports betting over the past 15 years. Now Las Vegas isn't viewed as a pariah, but just as another city as far as pro sports teams are concerned. The money was always there as seen by the fake NY skyline, Eiffel Tower, and half mile long water fountains.

Advertisement
Back