Meaningless Bowl Games

Advertisement
10 game season
1 Conference Championship
4 bowl games

15 games which is what most of these top programs who make it to the championship games are playing.

1 OCC (P5)
1 FCS
1 G5
7 game conference schedule
1 Conference Championship game schedule

Start the season late August; Conference Championships would be end of November, very beginning of December. CFP starts late December.

Edit: Did u just say CFB playoffs are meaningless??
Meaningless for those players who are gonna be top picks.
cfb playoffs at a macro scale are awesome haha

Meaningless for those players who are gonna be top picks.
cfb playoffs at a macro scale are awesome haha

Disagree; non CFP bowl games, yeah I agree w u, but majority of the top kids want to win a Nat’l title. It would send a very bad message to any NFL scout for a top player to skip the CFP b/c he’s a “top pick.” They can excuse non-CFP bowls, but to compete for a Nat’l Title? Naw; gotta disagree vehemently w/ u

Agreed, bro. While I don’t think a tier 1 bowl game is meaningless, based upon these untimely injuries, if this committee don’t expand the CFP or start incentivizing these bowl games, besides the NY6 games, it will be a thing of the past. Technically, they can expand it to 16 teams, if they wanted with a 10 game schedule. That could include 1 OOC game. 1G5 opponent, & 1 FCS opponent. 7 conference games before the conference championship game.

You don’t lie, man. Tonight’s game should have been awesome - a marquee matchup of top 10 teams. But now what are we supposed to take away from it? That Oklahoma can stomp a Florida team with 6 of its best players opting out (guys that will go in the top rounds) and their Heisman contending QB playing 60-70% of the game? They didn’t need to play the game for me to know that outcome. It’s meaningless. Great, Oklahoma starters on a top 10 team can beat Florida backups on a top 10 team.

You don’t lie, man. Tonight’s game should have been awesome - a marquee matchup of top 10 teams. But now what are we supposed to take away from it? That Oklahoma can stomp a Florida team with 6 of its best players opting out (guys that will go in the top rounds) and their Heisman contending QB playing 60-70% of the game? They didn’t need to play the game for me to know that outcome. It’s meaningless. Great, Oklahoma starters on a top 10 team can beat Florida backups on a top 10 team.

These injuries that were sustained....yeah, the bowl committees better figure this out quickly. No one is going to want to play that have any NFL aspirations

Advertisement
Disagree; non CFP bowl games, yeah I agree w u, but majority of the top kids want to win a Nat’l title. It would send a very bad message to any NFL scout for a top player to skip the CFP b/c he’s a “top pick.” They can excuse non-CFP bowls, but to compete for a Nat’l Title? Naw; gotta disagree vehemently w/ u
You’re saying you gonna pass on Trevor Lawrence if he opts out then if your Jax? I know what youre saying but that fireable is you’re a gm hahah

You’re saying you gonna pass on Trevor Lawrence if he opts out then if your Jax? I know what youre saying but that fireable is you’re a gm hahah

I said it sends a bad message; even if it’s Lawrence, the first thing a GM is going to do is hit up Dabo & see what’s up w the dude’s attitude.

Are about to get a lot more meaningless. Good luck getting any players with even a sniff of reaching the NFL to play in these games going forward. It was already a trend, but it will accelerate now. Players are going to see what happened to King and point to that as a reason to pull the plug on the season. We have players opting out mid-game now?

The NCAA will have a problem if they don't expand the playoff or allow these guys to get paid to play. Once a player knows that his team is done and can't compete for the playoff or conference title, what is the incentive to keep playing? To play in some garbage bowl game? Because you have a scholarship? COVID was a convenient excuse this year as a way to opt out for the "remainder of the season" without any real issue, but this is a trend that will gain steam in the future.

The strong teams (Bama, Clemson, Ohio State) will continue to get stronger and the lesser teams will continue to struggle. Players on those teams aren't opting out, and are even coming back for their senior years, because they are playing for titles. The rest of the teams will see their best players shutting it down a lot sooner, and the NFL will stop caring. You'll see a lot of guys that didn't even play this year taken in rounds 1-2.

These games aren't even useful for signing day anymore, since 95% of the classes are signed before the games are even played. These games are quickly becoming the college equivalent of the Pro Bowl.
Enjoy every college game you get. I love bowl season. Especially after almost having no season at all.

Advertisement
I said it sends a bad message; even if it’s Lawrence, the first thing a GM is going to do is hit up Dabo & see what’s up w the dude’s attitude.
But you'd still pick him 1st overall.
GMs dont care that much. Look at Guice, everyone and their mother knew he was a bad cat in Baton Rouge and drafted first round.
I understand the premise, and I agree with the actions of the GMs and I would hate to see a gutted team in the playoffs, but their is nothing in it for the player other then the glory. The bowl committee should provide insurance for players like Clowney had for equal to a projected draft pick contract. The player doesnt drop if he doesn't play, see all opt outs, but he does drop if he gets hurt or get no career at all, see Lattimore.

I get opting out but that’s a garbage thing to do to your teammates. No class.

It’s equivalent to walking off the job mid shift when your coworkers were depending on you.

He should’ve done so weeks prior.

I can't stand it and it's turning me off of college football some.

It's the ultimate me me me thing to do and flies in the face of the face of the word sport and the desire to play as a team to me.

I understand the reasoning, but I can't get behind it at all. I as a former college player can't get behind the idea that you could help your teammates, but decided not to. I wouldn't sleep well that night or feel proud of my decision.

It's a bad look for college football which used to be about pride for one's self and the university you suit up for. Trask situation, that's a tough one and while I don't give him a pass, the other opt outs really put him in a bad spot.

Bowl games are a chance to get young kids more reps. They are very valuable to coaching staffs who know how to develop players.

THIS. Think about Ken Dorsey in the 99 Gator Bowl vs Ga Tech as an example. What if we didn’t have Perry, it would have been a chance for TVD to get some experience. We didn’t have our starting Defensive Ends, so our young guys there got reps the whole game. You can experiment with position changes like McCloud to DE. These things could pay major dividends for the following year.

Advertisement
Imagine if voluntarily opting out of a sporting event led to the university covering less of your tuition cost

Imagine if voluntarily opting out of a sporting event led to the university covering less of your tuition cost

theyre gone anyways. why would any of it matter? also, imagine if the bowl actually meant something to anyone. outside of the playoffs, they dont matter. i would never advise a player to play in a bowl game that didnt mean anything esp if theyre gone to the league. chance of injury in an exhibition is way too high esp when youre at the end

Last edited:
I’ve said this since the day the playoff was created and Imma keep saying it till it happens: 8 team playoffs. Conference Champions in Power 5 are AUTOMATICALLY IN! Why? Makes those games much more meaningful. 3 at large spots remain for cases like the ACC this year, of a conference favorite is somehow upset, and potentially letting one group of 5 team in each year. It only adds one more round of games. Conference Championships first weekend of December. Quarterfinals 2 weeks later. Semis 2 weeks later, Natty one week later. It’s plenty doable. Creates a lot more meaningful football in all of December. Silly it hasn’t happened.

Advertisement
Why does this keep getting brought up? How was the bcs better in any way?

it didnt allow a committee who has biases to decide which 4 teams (which we saw ended up being the same 4 that would have been decided from the beginning of the year (at least 3 of the 4 were the same). you also saw a team w multiple losses get excused and end up higher than teams w less losses on their record. also brings it back to where every game was your playoff vs now a committee will give you a break. ****, you just witnessed a CFP head use mental gymnastics to defend their ridiculous rankings all year long

But you'd still pick him 1st overall.
GMs dont care that much. Look at Guice, everyone and their mother knew he was a bad cat in Baton Rouge and drafted first round.
I understand the premise, and I agree with the actions of the GMs and I would hate to see a gutted team in the playoffs, but their is nothing in it for the player other then the glory. The bowl committee should provide insurance for players like Clowney had for equal to a projected draft pick contract. The player doesnt drop if he doesn't play, see all opt outs, but he does drop if he gets hurt or get no career at all, see Lattimore.

I like that; or something similar to it.

Advertisement
Back