McMahon out after knee surgery

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Canes lose top freshman for extended period of time – The Miami Hurricane

Christopher McMahon is out for an "extended period" after having knee surgery. The article is pretty short on details as to what kind of knee injury he suffered but the phrasing sounds to me a lot like a meniscus ala Lonnie Walker. This seems to pretty much guarantee that the rotation to start the season will be some order of Bargfeldt, Veliz, McKendry, and Mediavilla although I suppose it's still possible Cabezas will start if someone else steps up to close.

Advertisement
Hope he's back at some point this year, and hopefully w enough starts to have an impact in ACC tourney and regionals.

Two months from today, or two months from when he had the surgery (a few weeks ago)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Two months from today, or two months from when he had the surgery (a few weeks ago)?

Two months from now. Morris said "late March/early April." The most ideal scenario would be for him to return in time to log some innings in the March 27th exhibition against the Marlins.

https://twitter.com/_JoshRWhite/status/956981162542592001

Could have been a lot worse, I guess. At least he'll have almost two months of action before the post season.

It's a big loss as he had a legit chance of becoming the Friday guy before the season was over. His stuff, frame, athleticism are rare for us to get into school.

I expect Bargfeldt to have regression this year, as he far outpitched his peripherals, but I'd also expect Veliz to show progression as he was better than his numbers indicate. Probably an overall wash between the two, but getting a legit stud to be our third starter is what is going to separate us in big series. That Sunday game was such a dice throw last year with how inconsistent a lot of our starters were.

Looking forward to another guy stepping in and doing great things to bridge the gap until McMahon returns.

Advertisement
Looking forward to another guy stepping in and doing great things to bridge the gap until McMahon returns.

We have some good options. The staff is deeper than any I remember this year.

I’d put Cabezas in that role and let Hammond, Bartow, Mediavilla, Rivero handle the bullpen work. Cloonan and a few others can eat more innings as we go along.

We have some good options. The staff is deeper than any I remember this year.

I’d put Cabezas in that role and let Hammond, Bartow, Mediavilla, Rivero handle the bullpen work. Cloonan and a few others can eat more innings as we go along.

Kind of seems like Cabezas as the closer would be a waste. Let Hammond/Bartow duke it out and Cabezas either become a weekend starter or reprise his role from last year.

On the rare good news front, looks like McMahon is on schedule after throwing off a mound yesterday

Advertisement
Looks like Amditis catching...
Nice catch! I didn't notice that. Guess that's double good injury news. I imagine at this point Amditis will primarily be DHing with as good as Quinones has been both at and behind the plate.

This just in: @CanesBaseball freshman Chris McMahon will make his collegiate debut today against the Miami Marlins. The hard throwing righthander will be on a 25 pitch limit. McMahon is recovering from offseason surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

Advertisement
He faced 6 batters and only retired 1, gave up 3 hits including a HR and walked 2.

I honestly didn't expect him to perform that well his first outing, especially vs major league hitters. Anyone know what kind of velocity he was hitting on his fastball?

I honestly didn't expect him to perform that well his first outing, especially vs major league hitters. Anyone know what kind of velocity he was hitting on his fastball?
The scoreboard showed him hitting 92-93 a few times, but he was definitely at 90-91 more consistently.

Advertisement
Back