McElwain hoping Richt would get job elsewhere

pimpcane1

Junior
Jim McElwain was hoping Mark Richt ‘would get a job somewhere else’ | Gator Bytes

After Mark Richt left the Southeastern Conference, Jim McElwain was hoping he was done battling the former Georgia head coach on the recruiting trail.

“What he’s done and the record he’s put on paper, he’ll do an outstanding job here,” McElwain said of Richt before speaking to the Broward County Gator Club on Wednesday evening. “I was kind of wishing maybe he would get a job somewhere else. But I know this, he’ll do an outstanding job here and he’ll put a great program together and he’ll put a good product on the map.”

Richt and McElwain used to primarily battle for top recruits in Georgia and North Florida. Now, they will fight over South Florida prospects. McElwain knows the tri-county area of Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach is important to the Gators.

Florida currently has 22 players on its roster from the tri-county region, including wide receiver Antonio Callaway, running back Jordan Cronkrite and cornerback Quincy Wilson. Miami’s roster includes 32 players from South Florida and Florida State’s roster includes 17 players from South Florida.

“Look, we aren’t the only three schools recruiting down here,” McElwain said of battling Florida State and Miami for South Florida recruits. “Every single school in the country comes down here and for the right reason — there’s great football. Each kid is an individual person and they’re looking for a certain thing and each school is unique. So they’re going to choose the school that fits them. I know this, we’re going to come down and get as many as we can.”

Three of the four players who have committed to the Gators’ 2017 recruiting class are from the tri-county area.

Advertisement
I may really learn to like this guy, especially if he loses 3 games every year-and one in 2019 in Orlando...............

I obviously hate the gates, but the guy was pretty candid about Richt and what he'll do here, unlike that smart mouthed Spurrier. It's no secret SOFL has more talent than 45 states do. Only thing left for us to do to retain our majority share of the top talent is to WIN. We got a HC and quality staff that knows how to recruit, but even they know the key is winning. These kids got a lot of good salesmen coming at them and it takes more than asking a kid to rep his area.

Advertisement
Never like to see a rival coach or fan talking up our HC. McEltooth kicked his *** with an armless midget QB last year.

Richt should whip his *** recruiting South Florida just like McEltooth should kick Richt's *** recruiting Gainesville.

McElwain was a ***** for disrespecting and showing up Fred Taylors son on national TV over some bs. Fred should've knocked his teeth out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know dental hygiene isn't a thing in Gainesville, but good gawd that donkey looking m'fer looks like he hasn't used a toothbrush in years

Gator fans are high on McElwain, but to me the jury is still out. They started out strong last year but looked pathetic the final month.

Advertisement
Beta....Richt will own him
That is if you actually believe anything this guys says. Trust me he is a natural born liar like Urban. He already beat Mark with Treon he knows what he is doing with interviews like this.

Yeah where's your teams offense? And I'd hate that place Gainesville to like you.
That is what is so crazy about playing against Richt and why I love it. UF has had a terrible offense the past few years yet UF has found a way to out coach Richt.

That is if you actually believe anything this guys says. Trust me he is a natural born liar like Urban. He already beat Mark with Treon he knows what he is doing with interviews like this.

Yeah where's your teams offense? And I'd hate that place Gainesville to like you.
That is what is so crazy about playing against Richt and why I love it. UF has had a terrible offense the past few years yet UF has found a way to out coach Richt.

Dude your beloved Gators got there a**es handed to them by an AL Golden coached team lmao, pretty sure with better athletes down here Richt will own Mceltooth.

Dude your beloved Gators got there a**es handed to them by an AL Golden coached team lmao, pretty sure with better athletes down here Richt will own Mceltooth.
Richt is going to have better teams and ath with Miami then he had with UGA?

Richt is going to have better teams and ath with Miami then he had with UGA?

Yes, and the reason is simply numbers.
4 and 5 stars per state (ESPN)
2016...Florida 74, Georgia 41
To date 2017...Florida 56, Georgia 38
This and the fact that Saban isn't right next door anymore.
There's no reason why Richt shouldn't be flirting with a top-5 class, year-in, year-out.

Advertisement
Back