May 27, ACCT vs Duke, 11am (possible stream link included)

I preface this by saying I don’t really care about this tournament and never have: I’d like to have seen Smith stay in. In the context of someone focused on this weekend instead of next I don’t blame JD for the change.

Advertisement
Maybe it’s just me. I am not a coach. But I would bench Gil for not having his head in the game. Too many times this year we have not punished players for making the stupidest mental errors.
Definitely just you. I mean, it was a pretty inexcusable mistake, but it’s not like we should expect anything more at this point. The base running is what it is. And the only way you get rid of your only quality/consistent right handed bat is if he murd... never mind. There’s no reason you would take him out.

Advertisement
I don't understand this move so early. Smith could have pitched 7, then bring in Bodanza and Palmquist to pitch the 8th and 9th to keep their pitching counts low extending them through the weekend.

Guessing they aren't gonna throw anybody tomorrow since the game is meaningless so they all should be good to go through the weekend regardless

Advertisement
I preface this by saying I don’t really care about this tournament and never have: I’d like to have seen Smith stay in. In the context of someone focused on this weekend instead of next I don’t blame JD for the change.
Yes, but they need to start extending him to get him to 7 innings. I don't think he's pitched 6 full innings all season. You need the starters to pitch more innings to extend the bullpen with so many games in few days not just in this tournament, but in the NCAA tournament as well.

Advertisement
I don't understand this move so early. Smith could have pitched 7, then bring in Bodanza and Palmquist to pitch the 8th and 9th to keep their pitching counts low extending them through the weekend.
Agreed. I would get this if it was Sunday and it was a just get it to Palm day, but that’s not sustainable in a regional. I would like to see our starters get stretched out when they’re cruising to prepare for that.

Advertisement
Guessing they aren't gonna throw anybody tomorrow since the game is meaningless so they all should be good to go through the weekend regardless
I agree. Probably one of the guys that throw in the midweek. The good news is that we've had so many different starters during the season it's a big plus putting guys out there that have been in the situation before.

Advertisement
Back