Matt Porter: Freshmen Greg Rousseau, Brian Hightower were spring standouts for Miami Hurricanes

We, unfortunately, have a few very key guys on our DL who have had injury/other issues.

Willis, Patchan, and DJax are all super important this year, and they’ve all had more than one big injury that has cost them huge chunks of action. And Willis is always an inadvertently stepped on toe at a bar from flipping the crazy switch.

Advertisement
I'm ALOT more worried about DT than I am DE. We are one Gerald Willis injury or AWOL occurrence from being in the DEEPEST of crap there.

We've got talent at DE. Oline and DT are what continue to worry me.

this.

My biggest worry by FAR!: We are paper thin at OL and DT.

We'll be strong at DE
Same thing at LB.
Pretty good at Safety. I like where we are heading.
We can hold our own at Corner
DT is not great, and will likely be the Achilles Heel of the entire defense

On offense:
RB looks loaded
So does WR
TE will be fine once the two freshmen get here, though you hate to rely on them
QB will be adequate. Better than last year. Not great, but adequate.
OL? If I haven't already given myself a heart attack thinking about DT, then OL will scare me to death

From strictly a player/position standpoint:

1. QB - Will anyone give us enough consistency to win a couple meaningful games?
2. RT - I almost wrote this as #1 because it sends a ripple effect across the OL and the entire team (including playcalling).
3. DT - Tell me all you want about our decent quantity/numbers, but can anyone give us what we need out of the 1-Tech slot?
4. TE - I cringe a little being forced to count on an 18-19 year old kid or two. Again, it's the type of situation that ripples across playcalling.
5. Nickel - Will this position be settled between the various types of players we have and actually utilized to max ability? It can change our 3rd down woes.
Bonus: I've been hoping for a 3rd Safety, one with plus range, since Jenkins left. I hoped Gurvan Hall would get experience in Spring and grow into the position. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Agree with all of this.

Will our Nickel and Striker positions allow us to do some things with rotating our coverages to better take away the middle of the field? I hope so. At times it seems our pass D was allergic to being between the hashmarks.

Advertisement
Back