Matt Porter: Freshmen Greg Rousseau, Brian Hightower were spring standouts for Miami Hurricanes

stb

Sophomore
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...r-were-spring-standouts-for-miami-hurricanes/

"Not that I didn’t think one day he would become a pretty good ballplayer, but he has really taken to coaching, he’s gained 20 to 25 pounds since he’s been here, since January,” Richt told WQAM. “He is quick, he is agile. He’s coachable. He’s the nicest kid in America. I think of all the guys who rolled in, he’s the one who has showed me the most.”

How much does Rousseau actually weight? The 20-25 pounds would put him around 235-240.

Last edited:
Advertisement
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...r-were-spring-standouts-for-miami-hurricanes/

"Not that I didn’t think one day he would become a pretty good ballplayer, but he has really taken to coaching, he’s gained 20 to 25 pounds since he’s been here, since January,” Richt told WQAM. “He is quick, he is agile. He’s coachable. He’s the nicest kid in America. I think of all the guys who rolled in, he’s the one who has showed me the most.”

How much does Rousseau actually weight? The 20-25 pounds would put him around 235-240.

Is that how much a wrecking bar weighs?

Advertisement
Rousseau and Hightower look to have bright futures ahead at Miami.

Looking forward to seeing which other ones in this class produce at a high level.

Frierson and Williams seem to be off to solid starts, too.

I think it's unlikely that Williams will RS. He'll be playing at some point this year.

If Patchan stays healthy and Rousseau has a normal, positive summer (not even transformational), one of my Top 5 concerns for the year gets resolved. Really good news.
Just curious what the other 4 were. I mean D-line and QB has been on just about everyone's mind, but what else are you seeing as major areas for concern?

Just curious what the other 4 were. I mean D-line and QB has been on just about everyone's mind, but what else are you seeing as major areas for concern?

• pants above the knees
  • no mirrored visors
  • no arm sleeves
  • Black cleats
  • no "U" on the jersey collar

Advertisement
From the bits and pieces of film from practices he looks every bit as big as Patchan so I wouldn't be surprised if he is around 240.

I'm ALOT more worried about DT than I am DE. We are one Gerald Willis injury or AWOL occurrence from being in the DEEPEST of crap there.

We've got talent at DE. Oline and DT are what continue to worry me.

Advertisement
Ive been high on Patchan for a while and i hated his move to TE last year. I think he’ll have a big year

Yep. I think him and Ford (or both DT's for that matter) will have breakout seasons. Really excited for the D-line, especially with Rousseau coming along faster than expected.

One thing I did notice last year was that there was no gap integrity from the D-line which put a lot of pressure on the LB's in the run game. Im not extremely well versed when it comes to the big boys in the trenches, but from the tid bits I saw from the spring game/practices I really like how the D-line and LB's are filling holes. We have the potential to have a great run defense if Diaz doesn't **** around too much.

If Patchan stays healthy and Rousseau has a normal, positive summer (not even transformational), one of my Top 5 concerns for the year gets resolved. Really good news.
@LuCane

Let's assume that Patchan stays healthy and Rousseau has a positive summer. Are you still concerned at all with our lack of numbers(5) at the DE position?

What about QB? Is he a run-first guy, or can he go through his reads and progressions?
Reads? Progressions? Those don't seem to be necessary in this offense. Just as long as he can get us lined up and check to the right play he can play QB here. LOL

Advertisement
Are you asking him to repeat what you just quoted him as saying?
No. Lu stated that a healthy Patchan and a ready to contribute Rousseau alleviate a concern he had this off season.

What I'm asking is that even with us knowing that Patchan and Rousseau can be counted on, is he still concerned with our lack of numbers at the DE position? We have 5 scholarship DE's. I'm asking him if he is concerned with that number.

What are your other 5?

From strictly a player/position standpoint:

1. QB - Will anyone give us enough consistency to win a couple meaningful games?
2. RT - I almost wrote this as #1 because it sends a ripple effect across the OL and the entire team (including playcalling).
3. DT - Tell me all you want about our decent quantity/numbers, but can anyone give us what we need out of the 1-Tech slot?
4. TE - I cringe a little being forced to count on an 18-19 year old kid or two. Again, it's the type of situation that ripples across playcalling.
5. Nickel - Will this position be settled between the various types of players we have and actually utilized to max ability? It can change our 3rd down woes.
Bonus: I've been hoping for a 3rd Safety, one with plus range, since Jenkins left. I hoped Gurvan Hall would get experience in Spring and grow into the position. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No. Lu stated that a healthy Patchan and a ready to contribute Rousseau alleviate a concern he had this off season.

What I'm asking is that even with us knowing that Patchan and Rousseau can be counted on, is he still concerned with our lack of numbers at the DE position? We have 5 scholarship DE's. I'm asking him if he is concerned with that number.
My concern was never with the quality in DEs. Joe Jackson, Garvin and D-Jax are about as strong a Top 3 as you'll find in the country. I was worried about numbers - specifically at SSDE, where DJ Johnson's departure left a void. If Rousseau grows to be what he can be by Fall, he can at least provide us with those rotational snaps Garvin produced last year. With Joe Jackson's physical and maturity growth, he could swing to both sides when absolutely needed. If Patchan can stay healthy and continue to maintain size, he can also give us snaps at SSDE. The numbers/depth issue would be resolved as much as you reasonably can expect given everything we suddenly lost.

Advertisement
Back