Matchup of the Week: CMR vs. Paul Johnson

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
Matchup of the Week- CMR vs. Paul Johnson

Here we are with yet another game against a team with half the talent as UM, yet Miami opens up as 3 point underdog. Why? Because Vegas and everyone else in the world expects this Miami to underperform at this point. This week comes down to Mark Richt’s favorite word “execution”. It is the player’s job to execute, but execution is born from preparation. It is the coaches’ job to prepare the team well enough for them to execute at full potential on game day. That brings us to the Matchup of the Week: CMR vs. Paul Johnson.

I’ll keep it short and sweet this week since I know it’s getting depressing to hear us continuously talk about the same issues. It’s about time to just sit back, pray and hope something changes.

Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are familiar foes. They know what to expect from each other. Mark Richt owns the series with an 8-2 record against Johnson, and the 2 losses were back in Athens. CMR and Miami have won 3 straight against GT. However, things always seem to get weird when the Canes lineup across from the Jackets. The overall series is 12-11 in Miami’s favor. Georgia Tech could easily be leading the series if it wasn’t for a Darrell Langham 4th down miracle at Hard Rock last year. I say all of this to say that the Richt’s 8-2 record against Johnson and overall dominance of Georgia Tech is a bit misleading. There’s been a ton of close calls. Numbers don’t lie, but they also don’t tell the full story. Paul Johnson teams often give Mark Richt and his group all they can handle.

While the triple option offense isn’t the most aggressive in theory, Paul Johnson is one of the more aggressive coaches out there by nature. His teams are often tops in the country in 4th down conversions. He’ll throw every variation of the triple option at the opposing defense and try to wear them down. Paul Johnson and Georgia Tech are a wild card. When the option is rolling, they churn out first down after first down and completely demoralize a defense. When its not hitting, it can be really ugly, and they have no hope if they're playing from behind. That's why Paul Johnson will often take chances early and often. Plus, he's got to be tired of Mark Richt beating up on him. Paul doesn’t hold any punches, and tomorrow night in Atlanta won’t be any different.

Richt has to one up Johnson’s aggression this week. (Just hopefully no surprise onside kicks that get returned for TDs) He knows his team is sputtering and is desperate for an injection of new found energy. He’s picked Perry as the starting QB this week. Hopefully, he sticks with it. I think it’s time to take the reins off Perry a bit and really cut him loose. His arm strength is at another level than Rosier. With Rosier on the field, there was a lid on the offense because there were just certain throws he simply can’t make. Richt needs to take that lid off and really let Perry be himself. Let him make mistakes, but do it in an aggressive fashion. I remember a few years back when Stephen Morris launched a bomb to Phillip Dorsett for a long TD on the opening drive in Atlanta. Maybe Perry can dial up a different #4, Jeff Thomas, early on and spark some life into this football team.

I could easily go in and break down specific matchups in this game, but this season is beyond the point where specific matchups are going to alter the game. This team just has to play better. The coaches have to coach better. This Miami team is desperate for a win. Richt knows it. Paul Johnson knows it. Whose team is going to execute better tomorrow night?

Miami 24 Georgia Tech 17

Advertisement
The late honorable humble great John W. Wooden once said... Games are won in PRACTICE! Nothing more, nothing less. Nevertheless it helps to have all that TALENT Coach Wooden had in uniform. Think Walton and Abdul Jabbar, for instance. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Their were a lot of talented Bruins, but those two come to mind immediately.

Matchup of the Week- CMR vs. Paul Johnson

Here we are with yet another game against a team with half the talent as UM, yet Miami opens up as 3 point underdog. Why? Because Vegas and everyone else in the world expects this Miami to underperform at this point. This week comes down to Mark Richt’s favorite word “execution”. It is the player’s job to execute, but execution is born from preparation. It is the coaches’ job to prepare the team well enough for them to execute at full potential on game day. That brings us to the Matchup of the Week: CMR vs. Paul Johnson.

I’ll keep it short and sweet this week since I know it’s getting depressing to hear us continuously talk about the same issues. It’s about time to just sit back, pray and hope something changes.

Mark Richt and Paul Johnson are familiar foes. They know what to expect from each other. Mark Richt owns the series with an 8-2 record against Johnson, and the 2 losses were back in Athens. CMR and Miami have won 3 straight against GT. However, things always seem to get weird when the Canes lineup across from the Jackets. The overall series is 12-11 in Miami’s favor. Georgia Tech could easily be leading the series if it wasn’t for a Darrell Langham 4th down miracle at Hard Rock last year. I say all of this to say that the Richt’s 8-2 record against Johnson and overall dominance of Georgia Tech is a bit misleading. There’s been a ton of close calls. Numbers don’t lie, but they also don’t tell the full story. Paul Johnson teams often give Mark Richt and his group all they can handle.

While the triple option offense isn’t the most aggressive in theory, Paul Johnson is one of the more aggressive coaches out there by nature. His teams are often tops in the country in 4th down conversions. He’ll throw every variation of the triple option at the opposing defense and try to wear them down. Paul Johnson and Georgia Tech are a wild card. When the option is rolling, they churn out first down after first down and completely demoralize a defense. When its not hitting, it can be really ugly, and they have no hope if they're playing from behind. That's why Paul Johnson will often take chances early and often. Plus, he's got to be tired of Mark Richt beating up on him. Paul doesn’t hold any punches, and tomorrow night in Atlanta won’t be any different.

Richt has to one up Johnson’s aggression this week. (Just hopefully no surprise onside kicks that get returned for TDs) He knows his team is sputtering and is desperate for an injection of new found energy. He’s picked Perry as the starting QB this week. Hopefully, he sticks with it. I think it’s time to take the reins off Perry a bit and really cut him loose. His arm strength is at another level than Rosier. With Rosier on the field, there was a lid on the offense because there were just certain throws he simply can’t make. Richt needs to take that lid off and really let Perry be himself. Let him make mistakes, but do it in an aggressive fashion. I remember a few years back when Stephen Morris launched a bomb to Phillip Dorsett for a long TD on the opening drive in Atlanta. Maybe Perry can dial up a different #4, Jeff Thomas, early on and spark some life into this football team.

I could easily go in and break down specific matchups in this game, but this season is beyond the point where specific matchups are going to alter the game. This team just has to play better. The coaches have to coach better. This Miami team is desperate for a win. Richt knows it. Paul Johnson knows it. Whose team is going to execute better tomorrow night?

Miami 24 Georgia Tech 17

Your boy Marky Mark doesn't believe in EXPLOSIVE plays! Ouch.

Coach, it seems like it's the in-thing to bash coach Richt these days. Good for readership.

You say numbers don't lie, but you are willing to discount CMR's record against coach Johnson as being "lucky" or due to miracles. I guess you are saying Stephen Morris' TD pass to Phillip Dorsette was lucky or close. You can't have it both ways. Coach Richt is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. I must say I'm surprised by your story structure.

The rest of your article I agree with but I wish you wouldn't follow the media "sheep" trend of leading with a bash to satisfy your readerships' emotional needs.

falling-down-ft-frank-grimes.jpg

Advertisement
Coach, it seems like it's the in-thing to bash coach Richt these days. Good for readership.

You say numbers don't lie, but you are willing to discount CMR's record against coach Johnson as being "lucky" or due to miracles. I guess you are saying Stephen Morris' TD pass to Phillip Dorsette was lucky or close. You can't have it both ways. Coach Richt is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. I must say I'm surprised by your story structure.

The rest of your article I agree with but I wish you wouldn't follow the media "sheep" trend of leading with a bash to satisfy your readerships' emotional needs.

Open your eyes, bro. Just... holy **** man, what are you talking about? We're one of the worst teams in the country right now, save for a top 5 defense that Richt has nothing to do with.

I appreciate the feedback Tex, but I don’t follow trends or try to please anyone. The only trend I see is that Miami is underachieving. Mark Richt has beat up on Paul Johnson, as I said in this piece. But many of those battles have been close. Also, Mark Richt has always came to the field with far superior talent. I was just pointing out the fact that the matchup between Paul Johnson and Mark Richt is closer than the record may suggest. Also, if you don’t consider that Langham catch on 4th down against Tech last year a miracle, then I suppose you and I have different definitions of miracle.

Advertisement
This is the game that determines if Richt and his staff are a complete dumpster fire and there absolutely zero hope for Miami under their care. Richt owns Georgia Tech and the Triple Option. Since 2001, Richt has only lost twice vs GT (2008, 2014) and both were by 6 or less points. Richt hasn't lost at Bobby Dodd Stadium vs GT ever. Richt knows how to prepare for GT. If Richt blows this game, I am giving up my slurpee and that ******* has to go.

Advertisement
Hate to say it but our team has lost its energy, winning is a habit but so is losing....

Perry having the big arm is nice in theory, but it hasn't mattered so far. If Richt can't put the fear of the run/short pass into GT then they aren't going to give Perry time to throw that long ball.

Every year people go on about how tough GT is and I laugh. Sure they're tough, but even al could handle them. Do your job and our superior athletes win the game. But...this year, not so much. We haven't been looking like the superior team so who the **** knows.

Advertisement
Open your eyes, bro. Just... holy **** man, what are you talking about? We're one of the worst teams in the country right now, save for a top 5 defense that Richt has nothing to do with.

did he not at least recognize Diaz was a young, up and coming talent and hired him? Who else would have considered Diaz for DC? I recall some people initially questioning the hire and Diaz' failings at Texas. Richt still had confidence in him and brought him on board to coach this top 5 defense; so to say he has nothing to do with it is just emotional talk. Richt deserves criticism but let's at least be rational about it.

did he not at least recognize Diaz was a young, up and coming talent and hired him? Who else would have considered Diaz for DC? I recall some people initially questioning the hire and Diaz' failings at Texas. Richt still had confidence in him and brought him on board to coach this top 5 defense; so to say he has nothing to do with it is just emotional talk. Richt deserves criticism but let's at least be rational about it.

My point was, Richt has no input on the defense. He has given that control over to Diaz. He gets a cookie for that. Or maybe he got lucky. His offense is indefensible. As I’ve said, if he gets rid of Jon and Searles, he will buy more time and POSSIBLY give himself a chance at success. It still won’t change the fact that, according to his public comments, this is a coach that doesn’t believe he has the talent to compete with Duke or the ACC Coastal.

And you know what? That talent is only going to get worse the direction things are going right now.

Call me irrational all you want, but doing the same things and expecting a different result is not the side that I am advocating.

My point was, Richt has no input on the defense. He has given that control over to Diaz. He gets a cookie for that. Or maybe he got lucky. His offense is indefensible. As I’ve said, if he gets rid of Jon and Searles, he will buy more time and POSSIBLY give himself a chance at success. It still won’t change the fact that, according to his public comments, this is a coach that doesn’t believe he has the talent to compete with Duke or the ACC Coastal.

And you know what? That talent is only going to get worse the direction things are going right now.

Call me irrational all you want, but doing the same things and expecting a different result is not the side that I am advocating.

Richt has input who he decides to run the defense. You said he has nothing to do with the defense, except hiring the guy who runs it. Does that make sense to you? Criticize him all you want for his offense. That is not the argument.

Richt has input who he decides to run the defense. You said he has nothing to do with the defense, except hiring the guy who runs it. Does that make sense to you? Criticize him all you want for his offense. That is not the argument.

No, you changed the argument. 5-5, 5-8, 2-8 vs P5. What are we arguing about again?

Advertisement
Back