Mat drills = first depth chart

Torocane

Senior
According to Susan.

"Richt said his first spring depth chart will be based on the recent offseason conditioning "mat drills.''

"We learn a lot through the matt drills,'' Richt said last week during a taped interview on Hurricane Hotline. "Just because you can do the mat drill well doesn't mean you're a great football player. There are guys that are drill masters so to speak and maybe aren't the best football players. But more times than not if a guy shows coachability in mat drills he's going to be coachable on the field. If a guy shows ability to change directions on the mat, probably going to be a pretty good football player that has the ability to change directions on the field.

"If he can endure a little bit of physical discomfort and keeps pushing hard through when he's fatigued, he tends to be able to do that on the football field. We're kind of getting a "pecking order'' of what we think we're seeing just through the mat program.

"The depth chart in the beginning is going to be just a way to get started. It's not going to be anything anybody should get too excited about one way or another -- players, parents, media or fans. it's just a way to line up and start repping the guys. It's probably the first true indication of where we will probably be after the first scrimmage."

Advertisement
Yawn. The only thing that matters is who can ball out on the field. Wether it be practice or a game situation.

Advertisement
Yawn. The only thing that matters is who can ball out on the field. Wether it be practice or a game situation.

I think this team has more elite talent than most fans like to believe. Conditioning plays a big part discipline-wise it makes sense to play more focused kids first.

Goodbye U Tough. Hope the discipline of the mat drills carries over to discipline on the field & less penalties. I like what I see.

Advertisement
Goodbye U Tough. Hope the discipline of the mat drills carries over to discipline on the field & less penalties. I like what I see.

You must mean U Fluff. That never got any of our guys in shape that I can remember. Good riddance!

Advertisement
Back