Martell is our Ace.

Portal recruiting is different though, now More talented players are becoming available with multiple years left which is much different than just a grad transfer that would only be here for a year. That talent pool will only keep getting better and Miami will be an attractive destination regardless. Getting guys like martell and bolden is just the start, we absolutely have to capitalize on our advantage with this
Yes, the Portal is extremely important to us this year. Getting 4-5 star players like Tate & Bolden is hugely important for us right now. Filling major holes with quality talent (QB, DL, OL & WR) is critical for the success of the 2019 season. I think the Portal will always be a useful tool. Clearly, as we return to elite status and the new staff has a full year (or more) to recruit elite talent the Portal will become less of a priority but right now this couldn't be more important.

Advertisement
I mean I watched QB1s last few eps today (I’m behind I know) and the kid is a **** winner. Came from a pressure cooker high school and smoked everyone he played. Beat Aquinas in the show y’all should watch.

I’m excited because he brings winning prep and a good work ethic, which the show highlights. It obviously did translate at OSU because he was behind a top 5 pick and still had a package of plays for this season. I mean he’s not like a typical Miami dude but we do usually pull some nice QBs from the west coast eh...

I love this as a supplement to the roster but if you're making this your bread and butter, long-term it will be tough to sustain anything. Im actually very interested to see how Diaz can salvage the upcoming signing day...

The basketball team says hi after using this exact method to get to the tourney on their many year run. Ok this year ain’t it, but it does work.

The basketball team says hi after using this exact method to get to the tourney on their many year run. Ok this year ain’t it, but it does work.

So you're comparing a sport with 85 scholarships, to what, 15?

Also, last I checked, there is no 'one-and-done' in football. You're comparing apples to oranges

So you're comparing a sport with 85 scholarships, to what, 15?

Also, last I checked, there is no 'one-and-done' in football. You're comparing apples to oranges

Miami has had one 1-and done the past 20 years. They had a pile of transfers though that filled out their roster and contributed. Senior laden teams mostly from transfer.

Advertisement
Miami has had one 1-and done the past 20 years. They had a pile of transfers though that filled out their roster and contributed. Senior laden teams mostly from transfer.

yeah, that's the difference between running a football and basketball program. Thanks for making my point

Portal recruiting is different though, now More talented players are becoming available with multiple years left which is much different than just a grad transfer that would only be here for a year. That talent pool will only keep getting better and Miami will be an attractive destination regardless. Getting guys like martell and bolden is just the start, we absolutely have to capitalize on our advantage with this
Transfers still have to sit out a year, so what exactly has changed? The portal allows teams and players to find eachother easier, but if the player still misses a year how is easier to move?

I mean really what did the NCAA think was going to happen when they allowed Free Agency in college? These stars are going to start drifting towards the bigger markets and Miami happens to be one of the best bigger market there is to live. I love me a team full of divas. It's a big risk but if u can get them to play as a team u will hit big money.

Transfers still have to sit out a year, so what exactly has changed? The portal allows teams and players to find eachother easier, but if the player still misses a year how is easier to move?

It will be easier bc players can basically be recruited every year they are in college. The year he misses (if he does) won't count as a miss bc it will be a redshirt more than likely. I also think that the NCAA is also going to be a lot more lenient when it comes to approving players immediately eligible. More eyes on the game means more money, and when it comes down to it, money is all it's about.

Advertisement
Phillips is dating Martell's sister, so it stands to reason Martell could get him to visit.

But I would pass on him due to medical concerns. I will wait until after spring an see if Martell can convince DT Haskell Garrett to transfer to Miami if Garrett feels he won't start at OSU for 2019.

Go Canes

Why not both?

And the other UCLA DT

And Hill

It will be easier bc players can basically be recruited every year they are in college. The year he misses (if he does) won't count as a miss bc it will be a redshirt more than likely. I also think that the NCAA is also going to be a lot more lenient when it comes to approving players immediately eligible. More eyes on the game means more money, and when it comes down to it, money is all it's about.
If the player already redshirted that transfer year still counts against his playing time, right?

As it’s been mentioned with the countless south fl divas that want to leave miami we should target the elite around the country. I’m sure there’s lots of kids that want to get away from their homes and come play bal at a place like Miami. Just have to find them.

Advertisement
Won’t a player have to enter the portal to be contacted?

The portal is obviously in it's infancy. Out of necessity, Manny may be setting a precedent as how to use it. It'll be interesting to see how the portal evolves in the coming years as both players and coaches learn how to use it.

Simply put, the Portal is a new tool for both programs and players. Why wouldn't you use it? Diaz jumped on it as well he should have. You use the tools you have to fix the problem you got,

Advertisement
Yes, the Portal is extremely important to us this year. Getting 4-5 star players like Tate & Bolden is hugely important for us right now. Filling major holes with quality talent (QB, DL, OL & WR) is critical for the success of the 2019 season. I think the Portal will always be a useful tool. Clearly, as we return to elite status and the new staff has a full year (or more) to recruit elite talent the Portal will become less of a priority but right now this couldn't be more important.

Agreed, but I would add that with the portal I believe we’ll get @80% of our players through traditional means and 20% through the portal. Too many players are going to see the buzz and excitement it’s generating and some will rue the day they made the decisions they did going to universities clearly not right for them. I just don’t see the portal diminishing in college recruiting; it will have the opposite effect.

Why when Patchan is out there, too
I am guessing that he would have to sit for a year because of the transfer and that would give his body a lot of time to heal and get right. I would definitely pursue this. Lots of upside!

Advertisement
Back