Marshall Faulk and the U

Advertisement
I remember the story...Curtis Johnson was on him heavy, but I believe wanted him as DB? Something to that effect.

I remember the story...Curtis Johnson was on him heavy, but I believe wanted him as DB? Something to that effect.

Curtis Johnson, a fellow New Orleans native, was the one who got him to San Diego State. They told him he could play RB there.
Faulk wanted to come to Miami as a RB but Erickson and Co wanted him as a DB here.

Curtis Johnson would three years later end up at Miami, where, all of a sudden Miami found quality Louisiana talent in Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne.

Curtis Johnson has always been one of my favorite Canes coaches, knew him from personally recruiting a relative of mine to UM. He's a good dude.
I wish we could've got him back here when we had openings, but he's doing pretty good for himself in the NFL with a 2nd stint as the Saints WR coach.

As for Louisiana, we should've gotten Marshal Faulk, Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne AND Odell Beckham Jr. (we were his only other finalist with LSU).
Kids in the Boot seem to like what they see from Miami. Let's try and crank that pipeline back up.

Curtis Johnson, a fellow New Orleans native, was the one who got him to San Diego State. They told him he could play RB there.
Faulk wanted to come to Miami as a RB but Erickson and Co wanted him as a DB here.

Curtis Johnson would three years later end up at Miami, where, all of a sudden Miami found quality Louisiana talent in Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne.

Curtis Johnson has always been one of my favorite Canes coaches, knew him from personally recruiting a relative of mine to UM. He's a good dude.
I wish we could've got him back here when we had openings, but he's doing pretty good for himself in the NFL with a 2nd stint as the Saints WR coach.

As for Louisiana, we should've gotten Marshal Faulk, Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne AND Odell Beckham Jr. (we were his only other finalist with LSU).
Kids in the Boot seem to like what they see from Miami. Let's try and crank that pipeline back up.

My bad, knew Cujo was involved.

Advertisement
Ladanian Tomlinson was a HUGE UM fan as well. No one really recruited him tho.

Same with JJ Watt:
“I hate to admit it, but I was a huge Miami Hurricanes fan growing up,” Watt told SportsCenter at midnight with Scott Van Pelt. “I had Miami bed sheets and Miami players on my wall.”

While Watt did at one time dream about playing for the Hurricanes, he says he is now all about Wisconsin.
“It is Badgers all day,” Watt said. “Ever since Larry Coker didn’t return my recruiting questionnaire, it has been all Badgers.”

Link: Wisconsin Alum J.J. Watt Admits He Grew Up A Miami Fan

Same with JJ Watt:
“I hate to admit it, but I was a huge Miami Hurricanes fan growing up,” Watt told SportsCenter at midnight with Scott Van Pelt. “I had Miami bed sheets and Miami players on my wall.”

While Watt did at one time dream about playing for the Hurricanes, he says he is now all about Wisconsin.
“It is Badgers all day,” Watt said. “Ever since Larry Coker didn’t return my recruiting questionnaire, it has been all Badgers.”

Ouch.

Advertisement
Same with JJ Watt:

Lot of these stories around.

There is room to improve recruiting.

Advertisement
Same with JJ Watt:

Butch here, JJ is a Cane....no doubt in my mind.

Jimmy here, and Faulk is a Cane. No doubt in my mind.

Advertisement
Faulk did come to Miami. In 1991, as a member of the San Diego State Aztecs.

His team lost 39-12, but he ran for 154 yards as a freshman and many people there thought he was the best running back they'd ever seen.
Remember the game and even with a superior DL he was still doing his thing. On defense:
Hurlie
Mark Caesar*DL
Anthony Hamlet*DL
Rusty Medearis*DL
Kevin Patrick*DL
Eric MillerDL
Patrick RileyDL
Jessie Armstead*LB
Michael Barrow*LB
Darrin Smith*LB
Herbert James*DB
Ryan McNeil*DB