Advertisement
1628726096059.png

Signed,

Peruche

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Ivins has a deal with kids... let me know in advance so I can get a big feature article on you ready... get my CB in... I won't leak anything, go have your moment.

It seems pretty responsible to me. I have no issue with it, especially compared to how the rest of the industry behaves.

@Cribby Ivins launched his story within 5 seconds of the announcement. It was already baked with direct quotes on why he picked Miami lol

Miami lands a commitment from Top247 safety Markeith Williams​

Orlando (Fla.) Evans Top247 safety Markeith Williams is headed to Miami. Williams announced a verbal commitment to the Hurricanes on Wednesday night two weeks after spending some time in Coral Gables with his family.

While Miami looked like the clear-cut favorite to land a commitment from Williams coming out of that unofficial visit, there was a time when Williams made it seem like he wasn't even really considering the Hurricanes as he had Ohio State, Florida and Alabama in his top three.

So what changed?

Miami's coaching staff.

Manny Diaz's decision to hire both Ishmael Aristide and Travaris Robinson this offseason seemed to really change the way Williams viewed the Hurricanes as the two were able to turn the tide of the recruitment and convince Williams that he needs to be in the 305.

"I talk everyday with them," Williams told 247Sports when asked why he picked Miami. "I can be myself there. I feel comfortable there and I don't have to worry about my mom getting to games."

Williams joins a Miami 2022 recruiting class that already includes three other talented defensive backs in Tre'quan Fegans, Khamauri Rogers and Chris Graves. While all three can play multiple spots in the secondary, the Hurricanes view Fegans, Rogers and Graves as cornerbacks at the next level. Williams, on the other hand, is expected to be a free safety for Miami, which makes sense seeing as how he can create plenty of takeaways on the backend of a defense.

"I just can't wait to wear the Turnover Chain," Williams joked. "It's all about the swag at Miami, so I like that."

Williams has been a three-year starter at the varsity level for an Evans program that's now coached by former UM defensive lineman Kenard Lang. He burst onto the scene as a freshman, picking off seven passes and breaking up nine more. Williams followed that up with a strong sophomore campaign in which he totaled 73 tackles and seven more interceptions before teams looked the other way his junior season.

Aristide, who graduated from Evans before playing at Purdue, gets credit for the commitment. "I first met him when he was at Texas A&M, so now that he's at Miami, we are even closer," Williams said when asked about Aristide.

Williams will likely need a year or two inside UM strength coach David Feeley's weight room before he's ready to wrangle college-sized linebackers and tight ends, but his long frame and smash-mouth mentality makes him a rather intriguing pick up for the Hurricanes. Miami is now in line to sign a safety ranked inside the Top247 for the fifth straight recruiting cycle as Williams is currently ranked by 247Sports as the nation's No. 13 safety prospect in the class of 2022.

Advertisement
Back